flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #23,477 of 39,414
Thank you. And here I thought JH was being so nice to me :). They are sending a pair of Roxannes for me to try out, and if I want to get them they can make customs from my existing 16 Pros, as they do still fit, my ear didn't change in ten years. So at least I don't have to pay the $100+ for new impressions and shipping to Florida. I mentioned to them that at my advanced age I really cannot usefully hear frequencies above about 7.5k, sigh, and they said that there are a lot of old rockers who buy their customs and they tune them to compensate somewhat for the hearing loss. I think this might get me a bit higher in the frequencies, not much, but it will make the 6-7.5K range more audible, mostly. That's something to consider.
Doug Greenberg
I think this is the way to go. Try the Roxanne, and if you really like it, then get it. Much better than a blind purchase. If it’s not that special to you, than maybe just getting your JH16 fixed is the way to go, since you liked them for so many years, and it’s a lot less expensive than a new pair. BTW, how does the se846 sound to you now?

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #23,478 of 39,414
I think this is the way to go. Try the Roxanne, and if you really like it, then get it. Much better than a blind purchase. If it’s not that special to you, than maybe just getting your JH16 fixed is the way to go, since you liked them for so many years, and it’s a lot less expensive than a new pair. BTW, how does the se846 sound to you now?

Much better, thank you. I got the bass straightened out. Although they are hardly basshead IEMs. When I want to blast bass I now go to my full sized headphones, the JVC HA-sz2000 which, properly amplified, have more bass than any headphone on the planet, I am pretty sure. Too bad that overall they are kind of mediocre.

JH is sending me both the Roxanne and the Lola. It will be interesting to listen and compare, and decide.
Doug

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #23,479 of 39,414
Nice picture. How is Xelastec on Solaris SE?

I'm still trying to figure it out. I ordered a pair of L's originally (despite being advised to size down for these tips) and when I got them I found I preferred my OG Sednas as the large Xelastecs diminished the bass a touch to my ears. I went and ordered a pair of MLs and I think the fit is a bit better...jury's still out on the sound. It will be between these and the OG Sednas as my favorite tips so far.

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #23,480 of 39,414
the smiley face should also make clear that i'm mostly just trying to help @proedros discover new stuff he might like.
Talking about @proedros high time to provide an update on the puppy...

Six weeks old and now we know for sure that the picture I posted earlier was indeed our puppy. Here he is today:
Wk_6-1.JPG

...and he is a very healthy boy, making sure he gets plenty of iron:
Wk_6-2.JPG

:grin:

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #23,481 of 39,414
well , i am a man of sanity , trying out stuff that i can not afford is a pandora's box that i don't want to open :wink:

like i said, if/when a rich uncle dies or sth like that happens , then yeah sure :xf_cool:

for now i remain content and grateful for my Zeus XR + 1960s 2wire (which corrects those anemic lows issues....)
That’s cool and all, and I really am happy for you, but I can’t help but feel like giving recommendations after having heard a single IEM (and purposely avoiding trying others) isn’t the most reliable/responsible thing you can do

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #23,482 of 39,414
damn...that puppers is amazing!

we want at least one photo update a week, @Wyville.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #23,484 of 39,414
Cheap trick to get so many likes by posting such a cute puppy there, @Wyville! :joy:
It will work on me every single time! That thing is just too damn cute!

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #23,485 of 39,414
Much better, thank you. I got the bass straightened out. Although they are hardly basshead IEMs. When I want to blast bass I now go to my full sized headphones, the JVC HA-sz2000 which, properly amplified, have more bass than any headphone on the planet, I am pretty sure. Too bad that overall they are kind of mediocre.

JH is sending me both the Roxanne and the Lola. It will be interesting to listen and compare, and decide.
Doug
It sounds like they are working with you pretty good. That is great and I am happy about it. If you like the Lola or Roxanne allot, then go fo one of them. Having an upper listening range of 7.5k hz, I am not sure how much of a difference you would detect on other IEM’s. Two things JH is pretty good at is separation and bass. Please let us know your thoughts and what you decide to do. Tks.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #23,486 of 39,414
It sounds like they are working with you pretty good. That is great and I am happy about it. If you like the Lola or Roxanne allot, then go fo one of them. Having an upper listening range of 7.5k hz, I am not sure how much of a difference you would detect on other IEM’s. Two things JH is pretty good at is separation and bass. Please let us know your thoughts and what you decide to do. Tks.

My hearing doesn't just disappear at 7.5 khz, I can still hear some above that (to 8.5, maybe), but it drops off, so it depends on the volume, of course. In any case, Given that I have listened to a fair amount of loud music in my life, I am glad it isn't worse, e.g., tinnitus. But in any event, it does mean that any "treble spike" at say, 10 khz isn't gonna bother me :frowning2:.

As for JH, yes, I actually was very happy with my 16 pros for many years. Maybe ignorance is bliss? I knew there was something wrong with them these past several months; no surprise that several drivers were kaput.

I wish I could buy six high-end IEMs, including the Luna. But I can't. I will try my best to "enjoy the process."
Doug Greenberg

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #23,487 of 39,414
reading the following review, i guess i am fine with my custom Zeus XR (which cost me 30% of the erlky price.....)

In my eyes the Erlkonig is nothing more than a statement piece, something to show off the depth of your wallet rather than any tangible concept of audiophile progress. It is definitely good, though "good" is more an insult than praise given its expected status.

https://www.reddit.com/r/inearfidelity/comments/a8lk0v/vision_ears_erlkonig/
I’ll tell ya, it is interesting Crin said that about the ERLK. Although he knocks it in his short comment, his ranking of if is S- which makes it one of his highest rated IEM’s. I also do not know how much time he spent with it. It’s bass is actually some of the most detailed. The graph you showed is from setting 3 or 4 without the extra bass. Perhaps later he heard it in another setting (I usually use setting 2, though I like the others as well).

I also try to see what different reviewers like, as that is key to make sure their likes will match your likes. From what I have read, Crin likes treble. To me, this will put some extra emphasis on the upper mids (female voice) making them border on sibilant or be sibilant. The ERLK tames this while keeping everything accurate. This is no easy feat. As I have said before I would characterize it as Neutral leaning Romantic. This provides quite possibly the most beautiful timbre of any IEM If This Is Your Preference. Those last few words were key.

Crin mentions the Fourte and Andromeda. They are not even close. In fact, in Crin’s own ranking list Fourte, Andromeda (which I personally think highly of by the way) and Solaris are ranked as B=, A+ and B+ respectively. So his comments do not match his rating. Adding in that he likes treble more than me, that might be why I feel (and many others) the ERLK is one very special IEM. With all of his dislikes he still gave it one of his highest ratings.
I also feel Crin likes to say things should cost around 1,000.00. One day I hope manufacturers will listen to him!

One other comment on the measurements by the way. What is he using? There is a thread here on Head-fi where a new TOTL measurement system is now available ( B&K Hats 5128 ) because they found the previous one to be inaccurate at times. My guess is Crin is only using one of the inexpensive mobile systems. If the systems costing tens of thousands are inaccurate, what of these graphs? But Crin does also listen witch is good.

Bottom line, he becomes only one reviewer of many. And this is why I like this forum. We discuss and state what we hear. MVV and me will go at it at times as our tastes are different, but he always explains what he hears as does Toaster, AAf, Twister, Subguy........ Collectively, they may be better than Crin. Till our next disagreement anyway!

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #23,488 of 39,414
for now i remain content and grateful for my Zeus XR + 1960s 2wire (which corrects those anemic lows issues....)

Wait until next week when you know what will be announced. And then you will know exactly why I quoted your post :wink:

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #23,489 of 39,414
I’ll tell ya, it is interesting Crin said that about the ERLK. Although he knocks it in his short comment, his ranking of if is S- which makes it one of his highest rated IEM’s. I also do not know how much time he spent with it. It’s bass is actually some of the most detailed. The graph you showed is from setting 3 or 4 without the extra bass. Perhaps later he heard it in another setting (I usually use setting 2, though I like the others as well).

I also try to see what different reviewers like, as that is key to make sure their likes will match your likes. From what I have read, Crin likes treble. To me, this will put some extra emphasis on the upper mids (female voice) making them border on sibilant or be sibilant. The ERLK tames this while keeping everything accurate. This is no easy feat. As I have said before I would characterize it as Neutral leaning Romantic. This provides quite possibly the most beautiful timbre of any IEM If This Is Your Preference. Those last few words were key.

Crin mentions the Fourte and Andromeda. They are not even close. In fact, in Crin’s own ranking list Fourte, Andromeda (which I personally think highly of by the way) and Solaris are ranked as B=, A+ and B+ respectively. So his comments do not match his rating. Adding in that he likes treble more than me, that might be why I feel (and many others) the ERLK is one very special IEM. With all of his dislikes he still gave it one of his highest ratings.
I also feel Crin likes to say things should cost around 1,000.00. One day I hope manufacturers will listen to him!

One other comment on the measurements by the way. What is he using? There is a thread here on Head-fi where a new TOTL measurement system is now available ( B&K Hats 5128 ) because they found the previous one to be inaccurate at times. My guess is Crin is only using one of the inexpensive mobile systems. If the systems costing tens of thousands are inaccurate, what of these graphs? But Crin does also listen witch is good.

Bottom line, he becomes only one reviewer of many. And this is why I like this forum. We discuss and state what we hear. MVV and me will go at it at times as our tastes are different, but he always explains what he hears as does Toaster, AAf, Twister, Subguy........ Collectively, they may be better than Crin. Till our next disagreement anyway!

So when I first heard the Erlkonig on Barra's tour, I thought it was very good but I wasn't exactly taken away by it like I was with the Elysium upon first listen. I sort of feel in Crin's statements this may be where is was headed with that. The thing with the Erlkonig is that it is just a really good all BA IEM, right? It doesn't have that estat treble that the Ely brings, or even those DD mids, but what it does bring is an insanely coherent tuning with gobs of musicality and resolution all in one package. It's not something to me that just pops out at you when you first listen, but more so something you start to appreciate as you spend time with it. After some time and just sitting back and listening it starts to show its magic and just how impressive of an IEM it really is, which is where I feel upon short listening periods you will miss. To this day I haven't heard an IEM that really presents music the way the Erlkonig does. I'd argue the M5 has "better" (DD) bass, the Elysium mids are more textured, and the A18s has that beautiful smooth but super extended and airy treble. But each of those IEMs to me has some sort of "flaw" whereas I borderline consider the Erlk to be perfect for my listening tastes and the enjoyment I want from music. The total package is just incredible and the amount of details it presents in music while still being highly musical is just something I feel has to be heard to appreciate.

I also use setting #2 almost exclusively and to me it's good enough that I rarely touch my custom FiR M5 or A18s, and my universal Elysium may as well be sold.

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #23,490 of 39,414
Bottom line, he becomes only one reviewer of many. And this is why I like this forum. We discuss and state what we hear. MVV and me will go at it at times as our tastes are different, but he always explains what he hears as does Toaster, AAf, Twister, Subguy........ Collectively, they may be better than Crin.

The opinions and impressions of a varied group of informed people will always be more useful than those of an individual. This hobby is too subjective, and there are too many factors which contribute to how we will perceive something on a given day, that's it's foolish and destructive to let one individual or group get the de facto say in what constitutes quality and what constitutes crap. I have said it before, there are number of people (including Crin, many here and others) whose impressions and experience I have found very useful at various times but there isn't anyone I haven't flatly disagreed with at one time or another. My own belief is that the greater the extent to which one is able to let their own tastes, inclinations and impressions guide their search-- even, and often especially, when it contravenes the "status quo"-- then the greater will be their satisfaction, success and happiness in this hobby.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back