Flagship headphones, by manufacturer
Feb 18, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #46 of 51
   Quote:
Okay, I added the Yamaha, the Alessandro, and the Rudistor.
Remember this is just suppose to be representative of a company's flagships, not all-encompassing. The DT48 has been considered but rejected for similar reasons as the TR50p/Thunderpants, as they aren't really positioned as flagships, and to hear them at their best you need to mod them, or have the right pads, etc., and even then it's still debatable.
Audio-Technica has too many flagships lol. The W1000X is super nice but do you guys think I should remove another one to put it on? Even though the W5K is somewhat polarizing it is clearly a flagship...
Also I have included IEMs from certain manufacturers that are trying to make the best, like the IE8, GR10 or CK100, but I didn't include say, the Denon IEMs as they don't really seem to be trying to position their IEMs as TOTL. What do you guys think, should I include a model of IEMs from Denon?

So what I was wondering is, will this list be a promo piece for the headphone mfrs, or will it be just an academic exercise of some kind, or is there a usefulness aspect to it?

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #47 of 51
I don't consider the W1000X as a flagship though it sounds better to me than the W5000. Either way, the W11R remains to be the only ATH considered reference. Though it didn't get much exposure and seemed like a limited W11JPN designed to make a quick buck. The W5000 has faster drivers but more colored than the W11R.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #48 of 51
Eh, this being a forum, it's entirely probable that the list is being built just for fun. And it might be useful as an index, so people can just try the flagship as a starting point for how good a given manufacturer can make a headphone.

But OP, do you want to chime in?

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #49 of 51
I do not, in any way, consider the AKG K-701/2 (and that dayglo version) any sort of flagship. They might be the most expensive AKG currently produced, but AKG discontinued their best headphone, the K-1000, and produced a middling (at best) replacement. AKG does not have a flagship at the moment. Sad, because AKG has produced better headphones.

The PS-1000 does not belong on the list. Expensive, yes, but nothing special. The old HP-1000 line is truly a flagship. The best of the John Grados is the RS-1, which I still consider the Grado flagship.

As for the Audio-Technicas and Ultrasones, I haven't heard anything from either that I'd consider top-tier.

The Sennheiser HD-800 belongs as it is one of the finest dynamics. The HE90 is wonderful, of course, but not in production. I think listing both is appropriate.

The Beyerdynamic DT48 might not be the current flagship, but it's a terrific headphone and the best they built for years. The T1 has its merits (I do like it, but maybe not enough to buy one), so it's fair to list both. For those who haven't heard the DT48, you really should. Put it into a good system and listen to vocals/acoustics, and it is quite an impressive headphone.

Also, the Ergo AMT hasn't been mentioned, but it is an excellent headphone.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #50 of 51

Quote:
As for the Audio-Technicas and Ultrasones, I haven't heard anything from either that I'd consider top-tier.

The Beyerdynamic DT48 might not be the current flagship, but it's a terrific headphone and the best they built for years. The T1 has its merits (I do like it, but maybe not enough to buy one), so it's fair to list both. For those who haven't heard the DT48, you really should. Put it into a good system and listen to vocals/acoustics, and it is quite an impressive headphone.

After listening to my Beyer T1 and my Audio Technica W11R, there just seemed almost nothing that the Beyer could do to impress me at all. The W11R was a bit more congested due to the closed nature, but it was just better in all aspects that I could hear. The T1 was simply just too unnatural and I fully disliked it with acoustic/vocals. The treble peak was way too sharp for my liking. However, I suspect that you would prefer an open headphone to a closed one as your music tastes seem to side towards orchestral, but the W11R is indeed good with classical as well due to it's soundstage. The Beyer's weaker bass response was what gave it the impression of extra air over the W11R.

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #51 of 51

Quote:
Eh, this being a forum, it's entirely probable that the list is being built just for fun. And it might be useful as an index, so people can just try the flagship as a starting point for how good a given manufacturer can make a headphone.

But OP, do you want to chime in?

In some respects the whole of Head-fi is just for fun, yes?

I am just trying to compile a list of each company's "best" offering(s), which of course is a bit subjective (but just a bit). And yes, it is a fun exercise if not taken too seriously. The main criteria is evolving to be the head/earphone's position in the marketplace, from both the perspective of the company (for better or worse), and from the consumer consensus (somewhat) as well. I think that's it's mostly an objective list, and I think that this thread has been a pretty decent read so far.

Quote:
I do not, in any way, consider the AKG K-701/2 (and that dayglo version) any sort of flagship. They might be the most expensive AKG currently produced, but AKG discontinued their best headphone, the K-1000, and produced a middling (at best) replacement. AKG does not have a flagship at the moment. Sad, because AKG has produced better headphones.

The PS-1000 does not belong on the list. Expensive, yes, but nothing special. The old HP-1000 line is truly a flagship. The best of the John Grados is the RS-1, which I still consider the Grado flagship.

The Sennheiser HD-800 belongs as it is one of the finest dynamics. The HE90 is wonderful, of course, but not in production. I think listing both is appropriate.

Also, the Ergo AMT hasn't been mentioned, but it is an excellent headphone.

Thanks for chiming in Uncle Erik.

This is the problem with the consumer 's perspective though, as we all have different preferences, and we all hear differently. For example there are many RS-1 aficionados, but quite a few others that prefer the PS1000 and from Grado's perspective it is certainly positioned as their flagship. I think that we have to take the company's perspective into account here.

As an analogy I would offer the HD600, Sennheiser's "flagship" until the HD650 came out, which was then replaced with the HD800 as their top offering. There are still many who prefer the 600/650, but the HD800 definitely is their flagship now even if it's not for everyone. Same with the Audio-Technicas and Ultrasones, while they not be flagships to you they are positioned as such and many do buy them, and like them quite a bit.

As far as AKG, I agree with you that they should have something better than the K701/2, but these are their best headphones like them or not. They are not positioned as flagships in the overall marketplace, but within AKG's lineup they are. I had left them off the list until the earlier assertion that the K1000 are more "earspeakers" than headphones, that made sense to me so I thought it was appropriate to throw in their "top" headphones as well for contrast.

At least I didn't go with their "Q" series, lol.

Precide Ergo AMT added, thanks for that one! And yes it's another earspeaker, but that's all that they make. 
Unlike AKG 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back