Flagship headphones, by manufacturer
Feb 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #16 of 51
dalethorn: but if grokit's just compiling a list of flagships, what does it matter how easy or hard it is to drive the headphones?
also, grouping all dynamic models as one subcategory would mean we lose monitor phones such as HD 25-1 and M50, for example.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #17 of 51
The AKG 702, since they do not make the K1000 anymore?

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #18 of 51
dalethorn: but if grokit's just compiling a list of flagships, what does it matter how easy or hard it is to drive the headphones?
also, grouping all dynamic models as one subcategory would mean we lose monitor phones such as HD 25-1 and M50, for example.

To me it's not about easy or hard, since those are relative. It's about absolutes like "Am I restricted to a desktop or can I move to the couch across the room without having to move the amp and stuff?" It's as simple as the difference between a desktop computer and a laptop.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #20 of 51
Thanks, I appreciate all the suggestions. I think that for the purposes of this list, separating the full-size headphones into subcategories would be counterproductive to compiling a list of flagships by manufacturer.

We could go open, closed, circumaural, supra-aural, studio monitors, DJ, portable, etc. but as far as flagships go my criteria was to just show a representative sampling of each manufacturer's "top of the line" in totality rather than in each sub-category.

In the case of AKG, I think that many are awaiting a new flagship and the consensus seems to be that while the K701/2 scale up quite nicely, they are not in the same class as the K1000. There is considerable speculation as to whether or not Harmon is even willing to come out with a flagship replacement under the AKG brand. So the consensus seems to be that they are without a current flagship.

In the case of Beyerdynamic, the DT48 may be their best current studio monitor, but not their best headphone from what I have read so it's not their flagship.

I didn't even like separating IEMs into universal and customs, but in the case of many customs makers that make both I didn't see any way around it.

I think that we may still be missing a few manufacturers though, for example in custom IEMs the Starkey Tunz line looks like it needs some research, along with the Livewires offerings. Another example could be certain audio equipment manufacturers that have left the market but at one time had a legitimate flagship headphone in the marketplace, like Yamaha(?), or perhaps a company that is not even in existence anymore.

Anyways these are my thoughts. If you guys think it's worth expanding into something more I could try to accommodate that but I have some worries that it could get a bit messy or contentious.

Conversely, I am also open to turning the OP into a wiki and let everybody contribute, so  if you think this worth pursuing please continue to let me know your thoughts.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #21 of 51

Quote:
the Sennheiser HD-800 is a perfect example I think of why this thread should have separate sections for dynamics and electrostatics. There are more than one reason:

One would be the need for a special box to drive the headphones, i.e. they don't work with iPods as do the Sennheiser HD-800 (which works very well with iPods), and they are restricted to a specific location due to the need for AC mains power.

Two would be the general price ranges, which are have top of the line dynamics around $1500 U.S. and top-line electrostatics around $10000 U.S.

Well in the case of Stax they only make electrostatics so no issues there. Sennheiser had what many consider to be the quintessential electrostatic flagship in the HE90 so it would have been a disservice to not include it along with their dynamics. I didn't intend this list to be about what amplifier is required or how much they cost as much as it is about representing a given manufacturer's best overall headphones.

Quote:
i wonder where the PS-1s stand next to the PS-1000

That goes back to the Joe vs. John Grado discussion, I am not very familiar with Grados higher-end headphones personally but I could separate them if you guys think that would be better.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 51

Quote:
Most people I've talked to prefer the Omega to either of the O2s.

PS-1000 is generally not considered as good as PS-1 or HP-1000.

Thanks, updated (compactly)!

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #24 of 51
In the case of Beyerdynamic, the DT48 may be their best current studio monitor, but not their best headphone from what I have read so it's not their flagship.

Well, this makes for an interesting perspective on "What's a mfr's best headphone -vs- what's their flagship headphone?" The DT-48E is obviously not their flagship, which you could tell by price if nothing else. But in terms of overall sound, it probably is, when used properly.

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 51
As OP isn't trying to drill down into subcategories too much, the flagship list is probably determined more by how each manufacturer markets and prices its headphones. 

This'd almost certainly exclude monitor headphones, unless a company only makes monitor headphones. (and on that note I'd have to retract my earlier suggestion that HD 25-1 and M50 be listed)

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #28 of 51
^ To some people yeah, but I'd wager the majority would find the T1 a superior headphone. I found the DT48 had mids but few other things.
That's what I used to think. Now I know differently. If you're not hearing really good highs and bass down to 32 hz on the DT-48E, then you either don't have the current model with the sealed (non-movable) cushions, or you aren't wearing them correctly.

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #29 of 51

Quote:
As OP isn't trying to drill down into subcategories too much, the flagship list is probably determined more by how each manufacturer markets and prices its headphones. 

This'd almost certainly exclude monitor headphones, unless a company only makes monitor headphones. (and on that note I'd have to retract my earlier suggestion that HD 25-1 and M50 be listed)

That's pretty much what I was going for, just the TOTL flagships to keep the list somewhat concise rather than turning it into a catalog
smile.gif

Quote:
Just a thought, I would add the Audio Technica W11R in there. The only Audio Technica headphone to ever get the "R" reference letter.

That's a beautiful headphone, I would love to hear it sometime. Thanks for leading me to your write-up on them, nicely done! Adding it now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back