FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Jul 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,616 of 4,896
Hi everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums and finally managed to get my hands on a pair of Fitear Togo! 334, coupled with a Whiplash TWau reference cable. I must say I'm enjoying it tremendously. However, I'm currently only driving it out of my iPhone 5s and am hoping to get a portable dac/amp to go with it to get more out of the earphones. Right now, I'm currently trying to decide between the Cypher Labs Theorem 720, ALO the International+ and the Centrance Hifi-m8. I've tried looking around the forums, but can't get a feel of which of these would work best with the 334. Can anyone who've tried the above with the 334 please provide some advice on which may be the best fit for the 334?

Thanks in advance for any responses. They'll all be greatly appreciated. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3,617 of 4,896
  Hi everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums and finally managed to get my hands on a pair of Fitear Togo! 334, coupled with a Whiplash TWau reference cable. I must say I'm enjoying it tremendously. However, I'm currently only driving it out of my iPhone 5s and am hoping to get a portable dac/amp to go with it to get more out of the earphones. Right now, I'm currently trying to decide between the Cypher Labs Theorem 720, ALO the International+ and the Centrance Hifi-m8. I've tried looking around the forums, but can't get a feel of which of these would work best with the 334. Can anyone who've tried the above with the 334 please provide some advice on which may be the best fit for the 334?

Of the above, I find the CL Theorem the most "musical". I generally just find that one sounds better. BUT, at the prices for those, why not just get a DAP? I find the DX90 pairing very nice, tried it numerous times from friends who own it, even though I do not own one due to already having a decent DAP before it came out. 

Good luck finding something. =]

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #3,618 of 4,896
Hi everyone,

Hi. I have used the 334 with an 8-wire TwAu and the best pair I found it with was either the AK240 or the HM901 depending on your preference. I chose the 901 for that more analog sound.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #3,619 of 4,896
One thing that should be noted about the TG!334 is that it's very sensitive to hiss. i.e. if you're going to pair it with the Theorem 720, please be aware of that. That's not say it's a bad combination however there are many audio enthusiasts who are hiss intolerant. I've not had any experience with the International+ nor M8.

I use my TG!334 pretty regularly with the AK240/ZX1/HM-901 and personally for me, I like the ZX1 with the TG!334 the best as the ZX1 has a more forward treble which balances out the TG!334 nicely. Similarly with the ZX1 & MH335DW (& SR). I found the HM-901 enhances the TG!334 already warm mid bass signature. AK240 would be like a compromise between the ZX1 & HM-901. But the AK240 seems smoother with the TG!334 than the ZX1.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #3,620 of 4,896
I use my TG!334 pretty regularly with the AK240/ZX1/HM-901 and personally for me, I like the ZX1 with the TG!334 the best as the ZX1 has a more forward treble which balances out the TG!334 nicely. Similarly with the ZX1 & MH335DW (& SR). I found the HM-901 enhances the TG!334 already warm mid bass signature. AK240 would be like a compromise between the ZX1 & HM-901. But the AK240 seems smoother with the TG!334 than the ZX1.

I think pretty much the same re my tg334 on the three DAPs, but sort of look at it on the other way round:  The TG334 improved the ZX1 the most for me than it does so for the other two DAPs.... as in I'm quite happy with all of my IEMs with the AK240 and HM901, but with ZX1 I ONLY like it with the tg334.....

But going back to @luminarae 's question, of the three dac/amp mentioned I think only the ALO doesn't hiss (the M8 you'd probably need to opt for the reduced output but I haven't heard that version).  But the ALO has a more thick sound and might make the overall presentation too intimate.  I'd agree with Sean that ZX1 seems like a great pairing re sound/features/size/price with what you've been considering.  A cheaper alternative I also enjoyed with my TG334 is the DX90.   

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #3,621 of 4,896
Thanks everyone for their input. I most certainly will start looking into DAPs as well, especially the DX90 since it has a USB DAC function (I think. Will have to look more into that). I only started out looking at amp/dac combos since I started out wanting to pair it with my iphone, as well as my laptop from time to time. I'm aware that the Theorem may present with hiss problems as Anakchan has pointed out, but unfortunately I will not be able to demo the Theorem where I live, and hence decided to ask if anyone here has had experience with those particular units. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #3,622 of 4,896
Hi all, I have an urgent question regarding the 334s. Can anyone provide further comparison between the TG334s and SE846s? I have read the comparison from AnakChan, but need to decide whether to buy a pair of SE846s that have come up for sale or wait and save up nearly twice as much for the 334s. I listen to a very wide range of genres, but centre around rock, blues, jazz and funk with very little electronic or classical.

I'd really appreciate your recommendations and thoughts

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #3,623 of 4,896
  Hi everyone,

If you are sensitive to hiss at all, be very contentious about what source you choose as the 334 hisses like a madman with lots of sources. The only hiss free sources I have so far are the "COWON J3", the "iPod Touch 4th generation", and my “ODAC + OBJECTIVE 2” setup (which BTW is absolutely magnificent).

I wouldn't be surprised if all of your candidates would hiss quite a bit (“Cypher Labs Theorem 720”, “ALO the International”+ and the “Centrance Hifi-m8”), and you really don't need an AMP for the 334. A great DAC, yes, and of course then you'll need an AMP as well!
wink.gif

Oh, and did I mention the 334 is very, very prone to hiss!?
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #3,624 of 4,896
+1
except the sources hisses not the 334
wink_face.gif

let me quote myself because I'm my only fan:
It's a very sensitive IEM, meaning it will make noises from your source to hiss louder than most IEMs. Not the 334's fault as the noises do come from the source. But to fully enjoy the qualities of the 334, I strongly advise you to avoid sources known for hissing.
Worst case scenario: You love your hissing source. Well just add a clean amp, it will solve the hiss-ue and improve the overall sound.

Hi all, I have an urgent question regarding the 334s. Can anyone provide further comparison between the TG334s and SE846s? I have read the comparison from AnakChan, but need to decide whether to buy a pair of SE846s that have come up for sale or wait and save up nearly twice as much for the 334s. I listen to a very wide range of genres, but centre around rock, blues, jazz and funk with very little electronic or classical.

can't say for the sound, but for both it would be better to be able to try them. the 334 is bulky and not everybody will find comfort with it. the 846 has those rotating cables. that's really a hit or miss for comfort.
both are know to be super sensitive and far more than your average IEM, so whatever you pick, do mind the post above mine.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3,625 of 4,896
+1
except the sources hisses not the 334 :wink_face:

let me quote myself because I'm my only fan:

can't say for the sound, but for both it would be better to be able to try them. the 334 is bulky and not everybody will find comfort with it. the 846 has those rotating cables. that's really a hit or miss for comfort.
both are know to be super sensitive and far more than your average IEM, so whatever you pick, do mind the post above mine.

Well I just learned from the Hugo thread the se846 is even MORE prone to hiss... my tg334 (and ALL my I other IEMs) is absolutely pitch black on the Hugo, but a poor dude with se846 can pick up hissing...

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #3,627 of 4,896
Jul 8, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #3,628 of 4,896
Well I just learned from the Hugo thread the se846 is even MORE prone to hiss... my tg334 (and ALL my I other IEMs) is absolutely pitch black on the Hugo, but a poor dude with se846 can pick up hissing...

As pointed out right above ^^^^^ the IEM or Headphone, unless battery powered like a noise canceling one, does not usually hiss. I guess a driver can be bad so when any current goes thru it something makes noise but it is the other parts of the chain that hiss not the 334 or 846……

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #3,629 of 4,896
As pointed out right above ^^^^^ the IEM or Headphone, unless battery powered like a noise canceling one, does not usually hiss. I guess a driver can be bad so when any current goes thru it something makes noise but it is the other parts of the chain that hiss not the 334 or 846……

Yup of course :wink: this why I said "prone to" and "picking up" hissing!

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,630 of 4,896
  If you are sensitive to hiss at all, be very contentious about what source you choose as the 334 hisses like a madman with lots of sources. The only hiss free sources I have so far are the "COWON J3", the "iPod Touch 4th generation", and my “ODAC + OBJECTIVE 2” setup (which BTW is absolutely magnificent).

I wouldn't be surprised if all of your candidates would hiss quite a bit (“Cypher Labs Theorem 720”, “ALO the International”+ and the “Centrance Hifi-m8”), and you really don't need an AMP for the 334. A great DAC, yes, and of course then you'll need an AMP as well!
wink.gif

Oh, and did I mention the 334 is very, very prone to hiss!?
wink.gif

I've contemplated the ODAC + OBJECTIVE 2 setup, but I'd really like something portable because my job will require me to be in different locations quite a bit, so being able to carry it easily along with work documents and a laptop would be quite important to me. I'd agree that this setup is really awesome and works great with the TG334 though as I've had the chance to demo it. I've heard great things about the CLAS -db and hence thought the Theorem would be a good way to go since it uses the same DAC chip. But reports of it hissing have put me off quite a bit, hence looking to explore my options.

I've recently owned the SE846 before selling it and moving on to the Fitear TG 334! Granted, these impressions are from memory and I was using different cables with both earphones (TWcu on the SE846 and TWau reference on the SE334, although I did try the stock cables, but only fleetingly), so take them with a pinch of salt. Sources used was my iphone 5s, with music ripped at 320kps to 16bits/44.1kbps. 

The first thing I must comment on is the lows of the SE846, I think what Shure has done with the lows of the SE846 is nothing short of a miracle, and in my opinion, trumps that of the Fitear TG334 in terms of quality, depth and oomph. The bass of the SE846 to me, is well-rounded and punchy, and hit very low indeed. Bass is also well controlled, with fairly slow decay, yet maintains a lot of its detail. Despite this though, I never experienced any bass bleed into the midrange. I think this stands as testament to the quality of the low pass filter that Shure has implemented. However, I find that because of the quantity of the bass, my ears tended to get a little fatigued after extended listening. YMMV. The bass of the Fitear TG 334 are just a touch more than what I'd consider to be neutral. It can hit low when called on, and it can pack a punch where the music calls for it. The detail and texture of the bass is amazing, and I don't find it as fatiguing as that on the SE846

As for the mids, I find that although both have very lush mids, I tend to prefer the presentation of the TG334! It feels more intimate, and sounds more upfront. Vocals are absolutely heavenly on the TG334. I also tend to perceive more detail on the TG334, which may stem from the bass volume on the SE846 clouding out some of the detail on the mids.

I find that the SE846 has more laid back trebles than the TG334, resulting in a somewhat darker sound. Both are detailed and articulate, but I find the TG 334 has that bit more sparkle which lends life to the trebles, resulting in a signature I prefer.

All said and done, I think I have no regrets selling out on the SE846 and buying the TG334.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back