FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Jul 10, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #3,631 of 4,896

I've recently owned the SE846 before selling it and moving on to the Fitear TG 334! Granted, these impressions are from memory and I was using different cables with both earphones (TWcu on the SE846 and TWau reference on the SE334, although I did try the stock cables, but only fleetingly), so take them with a pinch of salt. Sources used was my iphone 5s, with music ripped at 320kps to 16bits/44.1kbps.   
The first thing I must comment on is the lows of the SE846, I think what Shure has done with the lows of the SE846 is nothing short of a miracle, and in my opinion, trumps that of the Fitear TG334 in terms of quality, depth and oomph. The bass of the SE846 to me, is well-rounded and punchy, and hit very low indeed. Bass is also well controlled, with fairly slow decay, yet maintains a lot of its detail. Despite this though, I never experienced any bass bleed into the midrange. I think this stands as testament to the quality of the low pass filter that Shure has implemented. However, I find that because of the quantity of the bass, my ears tended to get a little fatigued after extended listening. YMMV. The bass of the Fitear TG 334 are just a touch more than what I'd consider to be neutral. It can hit low when called on, and it can pack a punch where the music calls for it. The detail and texture of the bass is amazing, and I don't find it as fatiguing as that on the SE846

As for the mids, I find that although both have very lush mids, I tend to prefer the presentation of the TG334! It feels more intimate, and sounds more upfront. Vocals are absolutely heavenly on the TG334. I also tend to perceive more detail on the TG334, which may stem from the bass volume on the SE846 clouding out some of the detail on the mids.

I find that the SE846 has more laid back trebles than the TG334, resulting in a somewhat darker sound. Both are detailed and articulate, but I find the TG 334 has that bit more sparkle which lends life to the trebles, resulting in a signature I prefer.

All said and done, I think I have no regrets selling out on the SE846 and buying the TG334.

Thanks for the detailed comparison!

I actually picked up a secondhand pair of SE846s today at a price where I can happily on-sell if I decide I want to go straight on to the TG334s, or I can save some more $$ and end up with both
evil_smiley.gif

Everything you've said sounds spot on to me in terms of the intimacy, detail and amazing overall presentation of the TG334s. I'm liking the SE846s a lot, but I'm yet to have that "wow" moment with them that I experienced almost instantly with the 334s. I am definitely loving the bass on the 846s and the way it is perfectly balanced with the music, but only time will tell if it becomes fatiguing.

I seem to recall from my short demo with the TG334s that the bass was emphasised in the lower mid-bass area to create that awesome sense of punch when needed. Does that ever get over-bearing with any genres? I'm coming from UM Miracles which I find great because they have quick, punchy bass with just the right amount of body when it's needed.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #3,632 of 4,896
Originally on 02/09/13 Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Frank (sorry never been formally introduced to you but hope you don't mine me call you by your first name),

Did you get a chance to look or access these kinds of connector instead (from Lunashops) :-

The reason for my question is because whilst the black connectors you're using are great for the FitEar CIEMs, I personally find the angle of the connectors less suitable for the TO GO! series instead. Will see if I can get pix posted here.

Edit: pix

This is hilarious. Recognise any of the pictures :wink:?

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4157

More specifically :-

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #3,635 of 4,896

That is hilarious...do you think they're serious?....you never know these days...
confused.gif

They're selling it. I took my ear shot only to show Frank that the connectors he's using for his FitEar Cables are more suitable for CIEMs but not the TO GO! or Parterre series. I guess lunashops does scour through Head-Fi for pix to use.

Anyway they have a newer connector which looks promising to be used for both FitEar universals and CIEMs :-

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4182

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,636 of 4,896

They're selling it. I took my ear shot only to show Frank that the connectors he's using for his FitEar Cables are more suitable for CIEMs but not the TO GO! or Parterre series. I guess lunashops does scour through Head-Fi for pix to use.

Anyway they have a newer connector which looks promising to be used for both FitEar universals and CIEMs :-

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4182

I know someone that DIY-ed a cable using these recently. I'll ask for a pic and upload here. I remember they looked pretty long. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3,637 of 4,896
That is hilarious...do you think they're serious?....you never know these days...
confused.gif

This is a "what's wrong with these pictures" senario.

What is halarious to me is the obvious which is that the connector is reversed to the earpiece in the two pictures. It is not an 'old design' vs 'new design' revelation. I think the 'new design' fit looks good BTW, but it has nothing to do with the connector...only using the correct one on the correct ear so the cable goes forward around the ear not backward over the ear.

Looks like the 'new' straight pin version is not going to fit better than the previous angled pin version (pictured 'new design' installed correctly), since the cable will now have to bend forward instead of the connector doing the forward bending. 

The whole ad is wacka-doodle to say the least...and very funny, too...
blink.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #3,640 of 4,896

Ummm...please explain....did you make this or is Gavin now making cable sets for FitEar??? If you made it. what happened to the 'orphan' Tralucent IEM's that used to have a home box and cable?

Gavin has made FitEar cables at request. I've been using his Silver/Gold with ATL plug on my MH335DW for the past year . I purchased the cable from him like that and currently getting him to convert my Uber to be FitEar (and AK240) friendly.

P.S. I personally don't recommend the ATL plug.
P.P.S whilst we're showing off on cables & to carry on the with the copper theme (except mine's SPC), here's Wagnus' Proton. It's actually for my MH335DW-SR but since this is the FitEar Universal thread :-

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3,642 of 4,896
Hi guys I'm now officially a proud owner of a TG334 thanks to AnakChan who went out of his way to bring me to Fujiya Avic in Tokyo. I'm truly enjoying the wonderful sound from the TG334. Thanks again AnakChan for your help.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #3,643 of 4,896
  Hi guys I'm now officially a proud owner of a TG334 thanks to AnakChan who went out of his way to bring me to Fujiya Avic in Tokyo. I'm truly enjoying the wonderful sound from the TG334. Thanks again AnakChan.for your help.

Enjoy them mate. Very lucky to have popped into Fujiya on the day they received their batch.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3,645 of 4,896
Just a little update on my new discovery with different tips on my TG334. I've found the original tips to be good but a little dark sounding and they emphasize on the lower mid frequencies quite a bit to have a much thicker sound. I switched to the Ortofon tips which AnakChan recommended and it opened up the highs yet retaining the original sound signature thickness which is very nice indeed.

Yesterday, I switched my tips to the large JVC Spiral Dot (wide bore) and it totally changed the sound signature into a more analytical sound signature with even more extended highs. On top of that it cuts the low mids a bit but retains the low bass slam and to my surprise, it introduced a different sound all together from the original thick sound signature. It sounds like a much improved version of the Etymotoc ER4...almost like ER4 on steroids. The details that exude from this setup is totally stunning. The mid & high mid details were jaw dropping where I can pin point the instrument separation and positioning of instruments very precisely. Vocal details become very clear to the point you can hear the little background noises captured by the studio condenser microphones. You'll never ever miss a single draw of breath or every lips movement from the vocalist however subtle it may be. Everything is so crystal clear that you can even pinpoint the type of reverberation used for the vocalist, up to the pre-delay time of the reverberation or the density of reverberation. In short, every single detail is so crystal clear that for those who complained that the TG334 is dark sounding, this setup should open up a whole new world for the detail freaks. High frequencies are also clearer and the roll off point is further extended without sounding harsh but this sound signature might not appeal to those who are overly sensitive to high frequencies. To be honest, the detail level that I'm getting from this setup is on par with the top notch monitoring system in the studios.

However, to achieve the results mentioned, you need a good fit with the tips and a medium insertion depth....you'll need to experiment by gradually pushing the tips into your ears. Too shallow insertion depth will not give you the mentioned details and too deep insertion will produce a very nasal sound which totally cuts off the low mids and highs so YMMV. My best result is just 1-2mm right after the first bend of the ear canal but then again we all have different shapes of ears so my best advice is to experiment with what works best for you. For me, the medium Spiral Dot tips (wide bore) doesn't work as well as the large ones maybe due to the fit issues on my ears.

Last but not least, the bottom line is to find the best setup that works for each individual so there's no ultimate setup that works for everyone. The most important thing to remember is that the final verdict will be the enjoyment of the music we're listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back