Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,156 of 11,644
I have a question and have a feeling Muppet Face will probably have the answer though I would love to hear from others. What would a be a good full sized headphone that has similar traits to my IX's?

I have tried time and time again to listen to my LCD' s but now they just seem grainy and uninvolving in comparison to the PF's, they just sound like HiFi now where as for me the PF's sound like music.

Any ideas? I am going to be selling my LCD's, Blackbird and CLAS soon to fund this.

My amp drives headphones up to 120ohm so that is a limit I know that takes out Sennheisers. I have been looking at the beyer T70p the Audio Technica wood model is also interesting though I don't know if either of these sound how I want them too having not heard them.

Another one that keeps popping into my head is the big wooden JVC's though I cannot remember their name!

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #1,158 of 11,644
Thanks mate, for the life of me I could not remember what their nomenclature was!

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,159 of 11,644
I just received my Heaven VI and it is quite a departure to the IV. In fact i am comparing it to the westone 4 and it is impressing much more that then W4. It is tuned like a great head fier earphone to my ears, one that many will enjoy!

When can we expect a full blown review?

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,161 of 11,644
I have an ear infection at the moment so has been no listening :frowning2:

Wow, that means no headphones and no swimming - what do you do all day long? :) Get well soon! I have just found a pretty good deal on it - 460$ with Fedex shipment, but not going to pull a trigger unless it's an upgrade over both Heaven IV and Nail 2 V2.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,163 of 11,644
Quote:
I am swimming with earplugs but not headphones :frowning2:

I think it is different to the others but not upgrade. You can go better for the price i think, than them anyway!

You said that Heaven VI is better than W4, which is the 3rd highest rated in your rankings.
That only leaves Nail 2 V2 (which I already have) and Heir 4.Ai on the top...
So do you suggest Heir 4.Ai as the upgrade or do you have another candidate ?

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,164 of 11,644
Attention FAD fans:

New earphones!

Presenting.....

The Heaven V and Heaven V "Aging"

http://final-audio-design.com/archives/1972

Due out in early April. Reading a rough translation of FAD's site, it seems these are similar to the Heaven VI (which I've praised quite a bit), but they will have a brass housing instead of chrome copper. According to FAD the brass housing should give these a very lively, energetic sound.

The "normal" Heaven V will feature a black chrome housing (seen in the first picture.) However the Heaven V Aging is a new approach for FAD. They have left the finish in a state where it will gradually age and continue to develop a patina of sorts. Here's a closeup of the brass finish:

FAD wants you to enjoy the natural beauty of aging over time. They've also included a special leather carrying case just for the Aging version. There are no pictures on their site yet, but apparently the leather will age as well.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #1,165 of 11,644
Quote:
Can I ask as someone who really enjoys the Signature Pro, would the Heaven S satisfy?

The Heaven S is kind of a different beast. It's got a warmer, more tizzy and energetic sort of sound. The Signature Pro is more balanced across the FR spectrum, and in particular it sounds "colder" than the Heaven S.

Quote:
I have a question and have a feeling Muppet Face will probably have the answer though I would love to hear from others. What would a be a good full sized headphone that has similar traits to my IX's?

I have tried time and time again to listen to my LCD' s but now they just seem grainy and uninvolving in comparison to the PF's, they just sound like HiFi now where as for me the PF's sound like music.

Any ideas? I am going to be selling my LCD's, Blackbird and CLAS soon to fund this.

My amp drives headphones up to 120ohm so that is a limit I know that takes out Sennheisers. I have been looking at the beyer T70p the Audio Technica wood model is also interesting though I don't know if either of these sound how I want them too having not heard them.

Another one that keeps popping into my head is the big wooden JVC's though I cannot remember their name!

Tonally the LCDs actually remind me a bit of the Piano Fortes, but I think "uninvolving" is kind of the biggest issue with the LCD-2 and LCD-3. They just don't seem to draw me into the music, and I think this is due in part to their not being particularly adept at presenting dynamic nuances and subtleties. For example very minor volume changes in a track, the rising of voices and instruments, the hushed quality of a quivering whisper. I think the LCDs just sort of... throw everything out at you in the same dynamic field.

Of course I could be totally full of it.

I actually think you might like the JVC DX700 / DX1000. However my biggest recommendation would be the Fostex TH600 or (if you don't mind the expense) TH900. These are some of the most involving and organic sounding full-sized dynamics I've ever heard.

Also check out the IEMs from Ocharaku some time! The Flat4-SUI and KAEDE are really cool, and they present details and micro-dynamics is a way that is spooky emphasized. They're analytical but still fun. They also have that Japanese handmade attention to detail I know you love. Plus the creator is obsessed with tea and owns a really cool tea shop.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,166 of 11,644
Looks like the Piano Forte XIII got measured. The measurements are pretty... funky to say the least. I shan't comment on what I haven't heard, and I have never posted here before, but I found it worthy to be raised in this thread. Find it here: http://rinchoi.blogspot.sg/2013/03/final-audio-design-piano-forte-viii.html, unless this has been mentioned before???

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #1,167 of 11,644
Sorry double post.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,168 of 11,644
The Heaven S is kind of a different beast. It's got a warmer, more tizzy and energetic sort of sound. The Signature Pro is more balanced across the FR spectrum, and in particular it sounds "colder" than the Heaven S.

Thanks for the insight, i'm glad you said they were warmer than the Signature pro as I was worried they were going to be colder, as the Sig Pro is right on the verge of my preferences.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,169 of 11,644
Quote:
Looks like the Piano Forte XIII got measured. The measurements are pretty... funky to say the least. I shan't comment on what I haven't heard, and I have never posted here before, but I found it worthy to be raised in this thread. Find it here: http://rinchoi.blogspot.sg/2013/03/final-audio-design-piano-forte-viii.html, unless this has been mentioned before???

You mean the Piano Forte VIII as there is no XIII. They've been measured for quite some time.

Here's another set:

Credit goes to purrin

Measurements are pretty much exactly what I'd expect based on what I hear. No surprise there at all. As many have said before in this thread, the Piano Fortes have a unique sound: bass and treble roll-off, a definite midrange emphasis, and a timbrel thickness. While I appreciate their bothering to provide measurements, I think their accompanying impressions are misguided in implying FAD is pulling some kind of hoax. FAD very much tuned these to sound this way on purpose, and they're actually extremely skilled in tuning IEMs. The entirely point of these IEMs---why they exist---is FAD's pursuit of a specific "vintage" sound that is popular among some Japanese niche consumers. Incidentally, FAD also offers balanced armatures which are tuned to suit the more traditional tastes of audiophiles. Their BAs have been measured as well and are much less funky looking in that regard.

Really I'm all for measurements, as I think they have an important place. They provide part of the picture which is useful as a countermeasure against runaway hype or as a common ground for comparison and discussion. Based on our own tastes and reference points we can formulate a rudimentary opinion based on measurements, but ultimately it's an opinion which speaks to those tastes specifically. In that sense, I think there's a tendency to get too carried away when it comes to passing judgment based on measurements. For instance there are plenty of amplifiers which measure worse but sound a lot better (to me) than others.

Edit: I like your avatar, BTW!

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #1,170 of 11,644
Woops. Agreed. Listening, I find, is often a battle of the mind and heart. I can't pass judgement, but thought I'd share what I read. FAD's designs are very much pandering to the heart (e.g. emotional response) rather than anything really purely logical and... objective (for want of a better word). Would love to try their designs someday. Thanks for the clarification and praising my avatar! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back