Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #601 of 11,644
Quote:
[snip]

I am very happy with UD100 (Sabre ES9023 chip) as DAC with my PF IX. For $50, you cannot really go wrong.

Paul,

I know others have commented about the unlikely synergy of your $50 DAC with your $300 amp and your $1100 headphones, but I have to chime in, too.  
biggrin.gif

Your contentment says it all.   You are using your ears to make your purchase decisions - price be damned!  
wink.gif

It's all about synergy AND subjectivity (personal taste), but you have managed to escape the tendency to trust the price tag (contrary to most consumers).  Your ability to ignore price enables the $50 UD100 to co-exist with the $1100 FAD Piano Forte IX.  Most of us are incapable of thinking this way.  

In the context of your requirement for good sound above all else, in my opinion, your $50 DAC validates your $1100 headphones just as much as your $1100 headphones validate your $50 DAC.   If this isn't sinking in for some readers, let me put it this way:  Your ability to appreciate the UD100 gives you great credibility when saying that you are not using the FAD Piano Forte IX's simply because they are outrageously expensive. 

You are teaching us all a lesson we need to take to heart:  Ignore the price tag!  Use your ears to decide what's best!

beerchug.gif

Mike

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #602 of 11,644
Quote:
Tera-Fi, it has been a while since I tried USB Monica with the PF IX but I did not like it. The best I can describe it is that you should throw lots of clean detail at these; they have their own sound signature and do not require the laid-back NOS treatment. (By contrast, the Beyer DT880/600s are great with USB Monica.)

I am very happy with UD100 (Sabre ES9023 chip) as DAC with my PF IX. For $50, you cannot really go wrong.

Ouch.  Maybe I should not rush into the purchase this month.

I am building around a ultra-portable NOS DAC and not the other way around.  Maybe I should wait until next year until I can do a thorough demo of the FAD's.

How is your ES5's with the USB Monica DAC?  My focus is a pocketable portable NOS DAC rig, not transportable.  I already have Ultrasone Edition 9's for portable isolation headphones, but was thinking of selling them to fund X-CC's or IX's.  Now, I may stick with the UE9's and get a neutral set of CIEM's if that synergises better than with the FAD's.

Thanks for this great info.  As much I want the PF IX's, if they do not play well, it maybe better to go another route.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #603 of 11,644
I cannot emphasize enough that if these PF's fit your ear they simply disappear when wearing. When I got them and felt the weight and then the psychological impression that metal on skin would be hard and uncomfortable where as silicone, plastic or foam would be comfortable I thought it would be challenging but quite the opposite!

Firstly there is no fiddling around getting them to fit, simply once popped in they are in the right position. Secondly the metal and the way it has been carefully shaped and the way it does not seal just makes it feel like I have loudspeakers an inch or two away from my ears rather than something burrowing down into them! If they fit you like they do Paul you can walk around, if they fit like they do me then I would not recommend it.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #604 of 11,644
Quote:
Firstly there is no fiddling around getting them to fit, simply once popped in they are in the right position.

I think that depends quite a bit on your ear shape. For me there are actually two positions, in which they fit securely, one further out and the other slightly deeper in. Neither of them seals, but the outer one allows for more airflow and offers better sound and space.

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #605 of 11,644
Thats true James. Mine just sort of sit there but I know others probably have wider ear openings for some variance.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #606 of 11,644
Hi guys, I demo-ed the fibass a few months back. I felt that it can be very bright and quite fatigue, can't afford to listen to it for too long. I owned the ortofon eq7 before too. Although it's not that bright, it still give me a bit of headache. I think that phones that are too bright are not suitable for me. Does the PF IX have a bright sound like these two?

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #607 of 11,644
Quote:
Hi guys, I demo-ed the fibass a few months back. I felt that it can be very bright and quite fatigue, can't afford to listen to it for too long. I owned the ortofon eq7 before too. Although it's not that bright, it still give me a bit of headache. I think that phones that are too bright are not suitable for me. Does the PF IX have a bright sound like these two?

The Piano Fortes are not bright. They're actually very mid-centric to varying degrees, a completely different sonic signature from the FI-BA-SS. They sound thicker, warmer, and more fluid. If you're familiar with the sound of vintage gear, specifically horn speakers, you may be able to get an idea of the sonic balance.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #609 of 11,644
Agreed. Why I just cannot listen anymore to my other headphones (apart from internet radio whilst I do other tasks) is because of the way these present music. MF is bang on with her description. If your into the sound Horns and SET's give then these would be right up your ally if not then "normal" ones would be.

I think if Paul and I are anything to go by then you will find your once beloved normal earphones/headphones/ IEM's relegated to less demanding duties such as when in noisy environments and you will just find yourself relishing the thought of getting home and being able to listen to music emotionally again.

The other thing these do is A: finding yourself exploring musical genres you never did before and B: dragging out recordings you long since stopped listening to because they sounded flat or too harsh on your normal headphones but magically sound full and alive with these.. Least, that is what has been happening with me!

I was tapping my foot away last night to Jay McShann, Duke Robillard and Maria Mulduar fantastic album 'still jumping the blues' which has a real old timey feel to it and the PF's conveyed the sense of occasion with aplomb !

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #610 of 11,644
Ian, as much as I love my PF IX, I always think it is worth reminding people that many will not. As a rule, I don't recommend the Piano Fortes. It is a big financial commitment for things quite strange. Caveat emptor

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #611 of 11,644
You know, your quite right Paul. They are a big investment and do not suite everybody. Funny thing is I forget what they cost as they bring so much enjoyment but your right.

To think, even two years ago if someone said I would spend over a thousand bucks on a pair of earphones I would have laughed them out of the room.. Oh how times change!

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #612 of 11,644
Yeah, I've always advised people to hear the Piano Fortes first if at all possible. Unfortunately many cannot outside of Asia, so I warn people to proceed with extreme caution. They're a "love it or hate it" sort of earphone.

Hopefully there will be some more listening tours in the future.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #613 of 11,644
Someone asked about FAD's numerical designation system, and I kind of went overboard with a little history of their current product lineup:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598427/final-audio-design-muramasa-viii/315#post_8844719

Maybe another head-fier will find it interesting lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back