Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #616 of 11,661
How do the Piano Forte VIII, IX, and X sound relative to one another? 

Has anyone heard earphones that are more euphonic & tube-like than these?
For example, Earsonics SM3, Radius HP-TWF21, Audio-Technica CKW1000ANV...

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #617 of 11,661
Quote:

Can't speak for the Piano Fortes, since I only have the VIII, but I own both the brass (1601SB) and steel version (1601SS) of their predecessors and they sound 95% the same, with only very minor differences.

In fact, that's the reason why I went for the cheaper PF VIII over the pricier PF IX, but I can't rule out the possibility that there may be a larger sound difference between brass and steel in the Piano Forte series.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #618 of 11,661
Quote:

The PF VIII, IX, and X are very similar sounding to my ears. As you go up the ranks they get warmer however. Despite being twice the price, the X isn't "better." It's simply the same idea taken to its logical conclusion: the most mid-centric, warm, and fluid of the bunch.

Other three you mention (Earsonics, Radius, AT) are going to have more bass / lower end presence. The PFs are much more mid-centric. The PFs also have the most expansive presentation, with the Radius coming the closest of the others IMHO.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #619 of 11,661
Very much enjoying the huge dynamic range of Muddy Waters Folk singer album. I found 'Long Distance' on youtube for you to listen to. This album is fantastic with the PF's!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgvlvo5OLA[/VIDEO]

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #621 of 11,661
I spoke to an acquaintance of mine close to FAD (and is also a collector, and uses a 1601SC as a daily IEM) who heard the Heaven VI, and his personal opinion is that he feels the VI isn't much of an improvement over the IV... I don't know what to make of it, whether the VI is not as good as we hope, or whether the IV is better than we give it credit for. I do think the IV is enjoyable, just a bit bland in the grand landscape of ostentatious FAD 'phones. I'm actually a bit curious about the Heaven II now, which has their new BA driver... even though it's going to be the lowest-end Heaven, it might actually prove to be an interesting one. Personally, I'm a bit saddened by the disappearance of the vent holes... from what it seems, the new tubular Heaven line uses an air bladder to equalize air pressures.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #622 of 11,661
I have to confess --- I have a never-ending and logic-defying love affair with the FI-BA-SS. I really, really enjoy putting them away for 2-3 weeks at a time and use my standard fare before breaking them out for a few hours of pure aural bliss. There is just something incredibly special about them. I know a lot of people here have the same feeling about the PF IX & X --- my vice is the FI-BA-SS.

As an aside, I'm probably going to be taking these with me (they're my brightest earphones) to audition the Ultrasone Tio and IQ. We're already hearing the expected about these things, but I got a sudden pang of morbid curiosity and just had to try them out.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #623 of 11,661
It will be interesting to hear your thoughts of the ultrasones in comparison to the SS. I must admit I have yet to hear an ultrasone headphone that I have liked. They just leave me cold, I find their presentation of music flat and lifeless in the ones I have tried so I must admit I had to look up the ones you mentioned as I tend to ignore the company!

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #624 of 11,661
Quote:
It will be interesting to hear your thoughts of the ultrasones in comparison to the SS. I must admit I have yet to hear an ultrasone headphone that I have liked. They just leave me cold, I find their presentation of music flat and lifeless in the ones I have tried so I must admit I had to look up the ones you mentioned as I tend to ignore the company!

Like I said, morbid curiosity...
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #625 of 11,661
Quote:
I have to confess --- I have a never-ending and logic-defying love affair with the FI-BA-SS. I really, really enjoy putting them away for 2-3 weeks at a time and use my standard fare before breaking them out for a few hours of pure aural bliss. There is just something incredibly special about them. I know a lot of people here have the same feeling about the PF IX & X --- my vice is the FI-BA-SS.

I feel exactly the same way about my FI-BA-SS (although I do appreciate the 1601 and PFs, too). I hadn't listened to them for quite some time now, but when I returned from my Sennheiser IE800 audition today, I simply felt compelled to pick them up and listen to the same "Un poco Allegretto e grazioso" I had heard with the Senns an hour earlier. Needless to say, it took only a few bars into music until I found myself smiling all over the face...
beerchug.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #627 of 11,661
After barely listening to them for the last few weeks - travel and just kind of not motivated - I am having a great PF IX day. With these headphones it is a mood thing. When I am ready for them, they just blow me away. Listening to Replacements' Let It Be, Strawb's Hero And Heroine, and a bunch of other rock.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #628 of 11,661
Quote:
As an aside, I'm probably going to be taking these with me (they're my brightest earphones) to audition the Ultrasone Tio and IQ. We're already hearing the expected about these things, but I got a sudden pang of morbid curiosity and just had to try them out.

Expected as in ear-shedders? I was wondering if the IQ might be saved if Ultrasone had little to do with it, but I guess they tuned it for that "Ultrasone magic?"

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #629 of 11,661
Quote:
  Expected as in ear-shedders? I was wondering if the IQ might be saved if Ultrasone had little to do with it, but I guess they tuned it for that "Ultrasone magic?"

Unfortunately, morbid curiosity has been put on hold. The store that had them sent them away for a loan and it won't return for another 3 weeks or so... guess I'll have to damage my hair cells later...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back