Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 5, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #7,801 of 11,642
Surprised there's isn't more talk about the E5000.

It kind of blows the FH5 out of the water (imo) and it's pretty competitive with the ER4SR/XR offerings. When you consider fit, isolation, comfort, cable, accessories, SQ and portability (it's ridiculously thing and light), it's a really good deal.

If I didn't have a warm sub-bass monster in the Bravado already, I would've picked it up in a snap (and still will probably...no $ atm).

Pinky powers called it a baby Custom Art Fibae Massdrop edition which I consider high praise, considering the fibae is something like £600 after conversion!

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #7,802 of 11,642

It kind of blows the FH5 out of the water (imo) and it's pretty competitive with the ER4SR/XR offerings. When you consider fit, isolation, comfort, cable, accessories, SQ and portability (it's ridiculously thing and light), it's a really good deal.

If I didn't have a warm sub-bass monster in the Bravado already, I would've picked it up in a snap (and still will probably...no $ atm).

I am still testing FH5, but in my humble opinion, E5000 has absolutely nothing to do with ER4SR / ER4XR series.

I mean absolutely nothing in common besides the fact that both go in ear :)

ER4XR is a rather uncomfortable or at least hit-and-miss with comfort, out-of-this-world isolating deep-fit IEM, with a very specific midrange-forward, dry, revealing, textured sound with a smooth treble (not much sparkle), and with a pretty low amount of bass. It is very flat, can be fatiguing and boring (no sparkle, no bass, all impact is in the midrange). It is clearly an acquired taste that some love to death, but it is incredibly specific in what it does and how. I am in love with its detail, but I really feel the need to lower the midrange, add some bass and add some treble, and more than 10 DB of bass and treble is needed for it to sound natural.

E5000 is considerably more comfortable and universal, but it doesn't isolate much, and it leaks quite a bit of sound, its sound is much more universal and much more natural, with a natural midrange, strong sub-bass and bass, good detail, and a fair amount of sparkle in the midrange. When I finish my review I would write a little about an EQ, probably going to add a few dB of treble, but that is all, the bass and midrange of E5000 is already lovely for me. It is pretty universal and versatile, most people hearing it will like it, especially if they don't have an acquired taste for a specific signature.

This is why I say that I think they have very little in common, I mean, if you want isolation and no leakage, ER4XR, if you want mid-forward, ER4XR, if you want natural midrange, E5000, if you want comfort, E5000, and so on. I will have a comparison about them in my review on E5000 since their price is close, but I do think they are pretty different through and through :)

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #7,804 of 11,642
Found this, will probably help with mojo portability
SINJIMORU Elastic Band Holder for Portable Charger, Rubber Band Phone Holder for Power Bank on Smartphone, Phone Lock Holder Strap for Bike Mount. Sinjimoru Silicone Band Holder, Black, 1pc.

This is the Final Audio thread, nothing to do with Mojo (?)

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #7,806 of 11,642
What's a bigger upgrade? E5000 to the fi-ba-ss with the dragonfly red, or keep the E5000 and get the chord mojo?

I have all of them, and i think that if you enjoy E5000, better stay with them. And not necessarily with a Mojo... I do agree that it sounds great, but it is not meant for portability...quite difficult to carry it outside. E5000 sounds good enough for me out of a iphone 8+, and you can add a Mojo for home listening maybe...
If you need something faster and more analytical, with decent bass amount and fantastic mids, you can try the FIBASST...but i would urge you to try them before buying. It is almost 4 times the price of the E5000. As for the Dragonfly, i wouldn't bother...I honestly feel the iphone line out is better. Wider soundstage, better balance of bass and mids, clearer highs. Dragonfly is more powerful...That's all for me.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #7,807 of 11,642
Just got them.
First thought: Screw all the "customlike" Inears. This is the holy grail of comfort. The con for some might be that you won't be able to lie on the side with them.
Very coherent tuning as expected from a single dynamic driver. Soundstage gets a double plus, really spacious and believeable for this price point.
Bass is HUGE. Even bigger than Fiio FH5...
Edit: The bass impressions were made with spiral dots. Back to stock tips and the sound is more balanced.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #7,809 of 11,642

I have both and use them each for specific purposes. I prefer the E5000 when out and about as it's less noticeable to passersby. While both sound superb, I would have to give the edge to the Bravado for its sense of space and depth of imaging. I would hate to have to part with either!

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #7,811 of 11,642
How do they scale, I was doing going back and forth with my psb m4u4, and e5000, with thr dragonfly red, and the m4u4 was far, far, more detailed, will the gap close with the mojo?

As far as scaling up, it would be most noticeable when using sources that can readily supply plenty of instantaneous power.

As the sensitivity of the E5000 is quite low compared to most other mainstream IEM's, one will not realize its maximum potential unless the source can supply hefty current to handle transients such as kickdrums, etc. With my DX200 and Alien+ and using volumes matched as closely as possible against any competitors, I feel that my E5000 can hold its own against phones well above its price point. With sources of middling output, the full potential of the E5000 will be unrealized and one will be rewarded with a rather ordinary SQ.

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #7,812 of 11,642
How do they scale, I was doing going back and forth with my psb m4u4, and e5000, with thr dragonfly red, and the m4u4 was far, far, more detailed, will the gap close with the mojo?

I would say yes since the Mojo is the benchmark for DACs in its price range, as well as more expensive ones. If you prefer a highly detailed sound, then perhaps not since the Mojo has a warmer quality to it.

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #7,814 of 11,642
Hello. I love my Piano Forte IXs as the ideal mix of comfort and musicality, but I’ve noticed on FAD’s web site that they now have a new upgrade on the Piano Fortes with the Piano Forte T line which come with SE or balanced cable options and redesigned earphones. Has anyone tried these? And, if so, can you give us an idea of differences/improvements between these and the original PFs?

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #7,815 of 11,642
Hello. I love my Piano Forte IXs as the ideal mix of comfort and musicality, but I’ve noticed on FAD’s web site that they now have a new upgrade on the Piano Fortes with the Piano Forte T line which come with SE or balanced cable options and redesigned earphones. Has anyone tried these? And, if so, can you give us an idea of differences/improvements between these and the original PFs?
I too am interested in the Piano Forte IX-T. Despite being launched over a year ago, the -T series has managed to remain virtually anonymous. Final's Direct Shop says that they're made to order, so that could explain their apparent rarity. The -T series uses the same cable that was used on the TOTL LAB II, and it would be nice to think that the "improvements made to internal parts", referred to on their product page, are also derived from that flagship earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back