Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 26, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #6,031 of 11,643
FI-BA-SS VS LAB1.Thoughts?

Very different beasts in my opinion. The fi-ba-ss is the king of detail and raw emotion. The Lab 1 is technically very good and no doubt a top performer but I feel it is a safer sound prob a better all rounder, but for me it cannot generate the emotion and excitement in the music that the fi-ba-ss does.

Just my opinion

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #6,033 of 11,643
Very different beasts in my opinion. The fi-ba-ss is the king of detail and raw emotion. The Lab 1 is technically very good and no doubt a top performer but I feel it is a safer sound prob a better all rounder, but for me it cannot generate the emotion and excitement in the music that the fi-ba-ss does.

Just my opinion

You beat me lol.
beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #6,035 of 11,643
Agree with youngsm10 and James444. :)

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #6,036 of 11,643

Just my opinion

Very different. FI-BA-SS is the drama queen: lean, raw, and somewhat high-pitched. LAB1 is the grand seigneur: corpulent, relaxed, and somewhat dark-ish.

yeah thats what i thought. fi-ba-ss has a raw feeling more emotions conveyed as compared to lab1 sweet and musical sound

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #6,037 of 11,643
Hello to all,

just got back from a trip, where I had a chance to demo Heaven V-B. I was impressed. So much impressed, that now I want one :))  The only reason I didn't buy it is that I wanted to try out Heaven VI or VII which were not available. I've read everything in this thread regarding the differences between these and it appears that they are quite similar in their sound signature. The only difference I care about is which one of these earphones would be less sibilant? If something can kill an earphone for me, it's ssssibilance and resonating peak at around 5-7KHz.
As some of you mentioned, listening to Heaven V you can detect some sibilance with brighter recordings, but definitely very very little. It does everything else so well, that I'm ready to let it slide, I guess :)
I have tried quite a few IEMS lately and it appears, that either you get that peak at around 5-7KHz which makes IEM sound harsh an too bright or you get so called "rolled of highs" and "not fatiguing" sound which in either case does not sound natural or musical to me.
Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #6,039 of 11,643
I can listen to them both for hours. They both have their own draw. I chose the Lab1 for overall sound but for light, easy, out and about I like the fibass. It has a less noisy cord which is also lighter and the open headphone hd800 sound can also be addictive.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #6,040 of 11,643
I can listen to them both for hours. They both have their own draw. I chose the Lab1 for overall sound but for light, easy, out and about I like the fibass. It has a less noisy cord which is also lighter and the open headphone hd800 sound can also be addictive.

I guess I prefer warm sounding kind of sound signature.  Thats why I don't take to HD800.   Prefer HE1K and Audeze LCDs.   I use the Lab 1 with Cowon Plenue D for my morning walks and they sound great!

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #6,041 of 11,643
Yeah, I usually use them with the chord mojo now. Occasionally with the Hugobut that is less portable. Mojo is much warmer than Hugo but a step down in dynamics and detail. The warmness suits the Finals.

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #6,042 of 11,643
Yeah, I usually use them with the chord mojo now. Occasionally with the Hugobut that is less portable. Mojo is much warmer than Hugo but a step down in dynamics and detail. The warmness suits the Finals.
personally i dont think the synergy betweem mojo and final audio design iems is good.It will destroy the magic of fad sound signature bc u r trying to change the sound

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #6,044 of 11,643
  Hello to all,

just got back from a trip, where I had a chance to demo Heaven V-B. I was impressed. So much impressed, that now I want one :))  The only reason I didn't buy it is that I wanted to try out Heaven VI or VII which were not available. I've read everything in this thread regarding the differences between these and it appears that they are quite similar in their sound signature. The only difference I care about is which one of these earphones would be less sibilant? If something can kill an earphone for me, it's ssssibilance and resonating peak at around 5-7KHz.
As some of you mentioned, listening to Heaven V you can detect some sibilance with brighter recordings, but definitely very very little. It does everything else so well, that I'm ready to let it slide, I guess :)
I have tried quite a few IEMS lately and it appears, that either you get that peak at around 5-7KHz which makes IEM sound harsh an too bright or you get so called "rolled of highs" and "not fatiguing" sound which in either case does not sound natural or musical to me.
Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Out of the IEMs mentioned, I only have the Heaven VII, which have smooth treble and no sibilance problem to my ears. That said, according to Rin's measurements of the Heaven V, these shouldn't be sibilant either, unless you're wearing them with a too shallow fit (see: "ON SECOND THOUGHT #1"). Chance is, that pushing them in a little deeper than you've been demoing them (possibly try smaller tips!), will reduce sibilance further or eliminate it completely.

One more tip: if you get just a little bit of sibilance with IEMs, even with the best fit you an manage, then use one or two layers of teabag-filters (as shown in this post, scroll down to "nozzle damping") to get rid of it entirely without compromising detail resolution.

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #6,045 of 11,643

Out of the IEMs mentioned, I only have the Heaven VII, which have smooth treble and no sibilance problem to my ears. That said, according to Rin's measurements of the Heaven V, these shouldn't be sibilant either, unless you're wearing them with a too shallow fit (see: "ON SECOND THOUGHT #1"). Chance is, that pushing them in a little deeper than you've been demoing them (possibly try smaller tips!), will reduce sibilance further or eliminate it completely.

One more tip: if you get just a little bit of sibilance with IEMs, even with the best fit you an manage, then use one or two layers of teabag-filters (as shown in this post, scroll down to "nozzle damping") to get rid of it entirely without compromising detail resolution.

Thanks for your advice!
Maybe the sibilance or perceived brightness on some recordings was because of the wrong tips. They did not have the original FAD tip selection, only the medium sized ones with wide openings. The seal was good, because the bass response was good, but as you said, the insertion depth might have been wrong.
I will try the teabag mod with my Sennheiser IE7s (These are the IEMs I want to replace with Heavens) though I have already tried something similar using my wife's hose material :)) It seemed to make it even more harsh. We'll see- the teabags might work.
But I want FADs anyway! :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back