Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #5,356 of 11,664
  Hmmm... that means only one thing, custom sleeves!  
etysmile.gif

Love the tips that come with the FI-BA-SS personally :p

Hmm, honestly I wouldn't want to spoil such a beautiful tiny phone with bulky custom tips.
wink.gif

I too like the stock tips, but pruned large hybrids are my favorites.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #5,357 of 11,664
Not the Etymotic or Shure ones. Even if you might get them onto the nozzle, their bore size is much too narrow and will render the FI-BA-SS unlistenable.

You'd have to find some with a bore size equal (or only a smidgen narrower) than the stock tips. Remember also, the soundstage will likely collapse, if you go for a very deep fit.

Thanks much your points are well taken.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #5,359 of 11,664
I think they're both at the performance level of Sennheiser HD650 - though they each have their differing tonal balances. VIII is very much like HD650. Though neither VII nor VIII have the treble extension of HD650. Seemingly due to some emphasis in the lower- and mid-treble of VII and VIII, they both sound brighter than HD650 though.

They have the musicality, dynamics, detail, insightfulness, cleanliness and dynamics. They are prone to occasional sibilance (ear mismatch due to peak around 7KHz?) and they don't have the transparency. They are arguably better in the midrange than HD650.

I find the lack of bass weight in VII ultimately spoils the balance. VIII has almost all of the organic quality and texture of HD650 bass and lacks weight only in the lowest octave (below 30Hz).

As a way to listen to music, they are to me very much in the fun, engaging, can't stop listening class, like HD650. I love the VIII, it truly is addictive and gives me all of the emotional connection to music I'm used to from HD650 and only wish the treble had more extension, which I believe would fill in the missing transparency.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #5,360 of 11,664
Just wondering is the Heaven VII and VIII a big step up from the VI? Are they considered a totl iem?

I listened to the IV and V and they sounded ok, but nothing great. But when i tried the heaven VIII they blew me away. I could not believe that a single balanced armature driver was capable of this. Very well balanced and very musical with a wide soundstage. I tested them alongside the se846, k3003, asg-2.5, noble 6, westone w60 and i thought they sounded better than them all.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #5,361 of 11,664
I listened to the IV and V and they sounded ok, but nothing great. But when i tried the heaven VIII they blew me away. I could not believe that a single balanced armature driver was capable of this. Very well balanced and very musical with a wide soundstage. I tested them alongside the se846, k3003, asg-2.5, noble 6, westone w60 and i thought they sounded better than them all.

Is there any shops in QLD that has H8 to test?

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #5,366 of 11,664
Did yours come with the round metal case?

My fortes came with basic material case as per the official site images

http://final-audio-design.com/en/archives/902

http://final-audio-design.com/archives/73

The earlier 1601 case was much better

Earlier releases of the Fortes used to come with an extra round case but they stopped doing that a very long time ago

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #5,367 of 11,664
Well, got comply tips with the fabric in place which works pretty well. Waiting for the hybrid tips but I realize that one of my fatigue issues with the fi-ba-ss may be that I have been feeding it with the Hugo. When I plug in the ak120 alone it is flatter sounding, with out the same level of depth and detail and seems to give me less or no ear fatigue. Drawback of course is less depth and detail. :wink: Work in progress like usual.

Edit-or maybe just burn in by my brain or the fi-ba-ss. As long as it's better now i'm happy….:xf_eek:

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #5,368 of 11,664

My fortes came with basic material case as per the official site images

http://final-audio-design.com/en/archives/902

http://final-audio-design.com/archives/73

The earlier 1601 case was much better

Earlier releases of the Fortes used to come with an extra round case but they stopped doing that a very long time ago

How odd!

I bought mine about a week ago and they came with just this round metal case (actual picture of my unit)

https://i.imgur.com/rS7Agjw.jpg

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #5,369 of 11,664
I bought my fi-ba-ss and they only came with a leather case, i have seen metal ones on youtube. Box was new and sealed at canjam.

Seems they change cases on their phones, maybe each year. Leather case is functional but i would have thought they would have both.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #5,370 of 11,664
  I bought my fi-ba-ss and they only came with a leather case, i have seen metal ones on youtube. Box was new and sealed at canjam.

Seems they change cases on their phones, maybe each year. Leather case is functional but i would have thought they would have both.

Also bought mine at CanJam! It was a really cool show. I almost bought the fi-ba-ss but the Fortes were so different I had to have them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back