Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 31, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5,341 of 11,644

Just reverse the tips and cut the stem down by a millimeter. Then put them on and listen. If they're still too dark / bassy, repeat. The shorter you trim the stem, the brighter / less bassy the result.

Thanks James444! I am going to try to find some today at audio store, otherwise in my basket on amazon. Don't think they carry at best buy so i have to call around when places open. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #5,343 of 11,644
Added the micro cloth as a filter and that helps a bit. Ordered the tips and I'll try them tomorrow. Thanks again.

Edit-one thing that i have to say about these, for iem's they have quite a soundstage. My JH13's are way more in your head and these are more speaker like. I can only imagine what the pianos sound like, wish i had listened to them instead of being turned off by the weird shape.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #5,344 of 11,644

Just reverse the tips and cut the stem down by a millimeter. Then put them on and listen. If they're still too dark / bassy, repeat. The shorter you trim the stem, the brighter / less bassy the result.

I put them on without cutting them at all and these things sound way better balanced. The only drawback was a loss of some of the soundstage. Don't know if i want to chance cutting it down at all…. a millimeter maybe yes but scary when it already is this improved.

Edit-cut about a third, thats for sure bright enough for me. Hard to cut less than that…..

Edit2- Now they don't fit right in my ear. ooops, and too bright. So ordering another pair, not cutting and keeping the cloth in the comply tips for now. OCD i guess…….
confused_face.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #5,345 of 11,644
Well I bought the AK240 SS and the Hugo at Can Jam also.  If I just use the Fibass with the AK240SS, yes there are times the treble can get hot and it may even be sibilant to some.  However, when I pair the AK with the HUGO, it is the most sweet, clean, transparent and immediate sound I have heard. The hot treble is gone, very personal and sweet.  Right now I even like it better than my JH13.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #5,346 of 11,644
  Well I bought the AK240 SS and the Hugo at Can Jam also.  If I just use the Fibass with the AK240SS, yes there are times the treble can get hot and it may even be sibilant to some.  However, when I pair the AK with the HUGO, it is the most sweet, clean, transparent and immediate sound I have heard. The hot treble is gone, very personal and sweet.  Right now I even like it better than my JH13.

I use mine with an AK120 feeding the Hugo as well. My JH13s are also put away. Yes very engaging and almost addictive. With the cloth in i am doing better than stock. I am going to reevaluate when i have more time with uncut sony tips, they did seem a bit dark but really had only slightly more bass than the esw9ltd that i use portable often and they are way more detailed albeit more aggressive.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #5,347 of 11,644

I put them on without cutting them at all and these things sound way better balanced. The only drawback was a loss of some of the soundstage. Don't know if i want to chance cutting it down at all…. a millimeter maybe yes but scary when it already is this improved.

Edit-cut about a third, thats for sure bright enough for me. Hard to cut less than that…..

Edit2- Now they don't fit right in my ear. ooops, and too bright. So ordering another pair, not cutting and keeping the cloth in the comply tips for now. OCD i guess…….
confused_face.gif

Well, part of the soundstage comes from treble presence, so that's the price you pay.

Yeah, the crucial thing is to stop cutting before you've gone too far. 
wink.gif

If the shortened tips feel loose, you can put spare foam tips underneath, if you have some at hand:

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #5,348 of 11,644
Thanks, I cut as little as i could. about a third, or just slightly over. I used a toenail cutter because my scissors couldn't cut it. Still i guess that was too much. I have foam but to tight for the tips. Ordered another pair for cheaper, slow shipping. It's all good, the cloth is working okay for now. Thanks, i do like them just the fatigue thing really and sometimes i crave a little more bass presents.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #5,352 of 11,644
I envy you. I'm not allowed to wear isolating phones at home. And at work, I am the supervisor. :wink:  

At home TV and wife computer noise. If we are interacting or its quiet I do wear open unless I'm feeling bugged At work I can't but when I typed this I was waiting for a late client and she was complaining on and on about respect and I just rolled my eyes and stuck the fi bass in my ears and pulled up head fi. I'm happy just to get clients, if they are late I'm still getting paid, no skin off my back. :wink:

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #5,353 of 11,644
Dallas or James, do you think the triple flange style will fit the Fibass? I used them before with the Etymotic and find them isolate very well and do not fall out.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #5,354 of 11,644
Dallas or James, do you think the triple flange style will fit the Fibass? I used them before with the Etymotic and find them isolate very well and do not fall out.

Not the Etymotic or Shure ones. Even if you might get them onto the nozzle, their bore size is much too narrow and will render the FI-BA-SS unlistenable.

You'd have to find some with a bore size equal (or only a smidgen narrower) than the stock tips. Remember also, the soundstage will likely collapse, if you go for a very deep fit.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #5,355 of 11,644

Not the Etymotic or Shure ones. Even if you might get them onto the nozzle, their bore size is much too narrow and will render the FI-BA-SS unlistenable.

You'd have to find some with a bore size equal (or only a smidgen narrower) than the stock tips. Remember also, the soundstage will likely collapse, if you go for a very deep fit.

Hmmm... that means only one thing, custom sleeves!  
etysmile.gif

Love the tips that come with the FI-BA-SS personally :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back