Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,231 of 11,644
Man, never thought I'd see people talking bout Yeezy and Kendrick Lamar in a FAD thread of all things haha

Hey Music - what tracks off of MBDTF did you link to? Most of the links have been taken down. Was just curious which tracks you liked off of that album. And do give Good Kid, MAAD City a listen if you enjoy music that comes from a real place

I got a chance to audition a pair of Heaven VI for about 8 days recently. Really liked them, especially the seductive midrange and surprisingly capable low end. Instrumental timbre was lovely on the VI and probably the best I've heard to date

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,232 of 11,644
Quote:
Awesome Post Music!

Very nice reading........

X2
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
...  then went into working with Prefab Sprout for their first album, now that for me was a genius group, to this day I reckon Paddy is one of the greatest songwriters of the 20th century!

Wow, "Swoon" is one of my all-time favorite albums and you helped making it? Call me impressed and jealous! Absolutely agree on Prefab Sprout's genius, such incredibly catchy harmonies, yet far from cliched or mainstream.
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,233 of 11,644
Yeah James, I am from that neck of the woods and at the time was involved in A&R (see my previous comment about that!).
I really wanted to get into production at the time and I knew people who knew people who knew people so I got to sit in for a bit of it, though as I said, in truth more tea boy than anything else but it's a kinda cool thing to have done at the time and I did they did let me twiddle a few knobs so there is a minuscule part of me somewhere on that album!
I also worked with Terence Trent Darby if you have heard of him, also Feargal Sharkey for a little while though in his solo days, not the undertones.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,234 of 11,644
Quote:

Awesome Post Music!

Thanks!

Quote:
Great thoughts music, I agree I was being a bit "over passionate" with some of my thoughts there
biggrin.gif

Still, your post had passion written all over it and you did bring up some interesting points.

Quote:
...for what it's worth I am not only a classic music buff. I was at one the first gig the pistols did in Devon popgoing my brains out, same with the undertones, clash and others.. Yes, I am that old! A permenant fixture in my collection is never mind the bollocks! I find the PF's capture Johnny's snarl nicely!

Post punk I got into the whole electronic/ new romance thing, did A&R for some of the bands at the time which was brief but fun then went into working with Prefab Sprout for their first album, now that for me was a genius group, to this day I reckon Paddy is one of the greatest songwriters of the 20th century!

All along though Classical, especially Wagner, ran deep through my veins and I maintain there are aspects of punk and early electronic that had influence from that, certainly I know ultravox was, especially midge.

Ian, FYI, I think we're the exact same age, but even so I think I may have to get an autograph from you at some point!  :wink:

Don't know if you've ever heard Japan's "Tin Drum" (1981) — unbelievable that a track like Ghosts became the album's single and was actually played on commercial radio (!) in Britain (absolutely unthinkable these days). There are other gems on the album (Talking Drum, Visions of China or Sons Of Pioneers) showcasing the immense talents of the late Mick Karn (on fretless bass), who sadly passed away at the tender age of 53 only 2 years ago.

However, it was Japan's lead singer's David Sylvian's subsequent first 3 albums that really showed Sylvian's maturity as a (still young) musician (3 albums I still listen to). There's a pretty good chance you've never heard of the truly excellent David Sylvian & Robert Fripp collaboration, "The First Day" (1993). This track comes from that album, but it's a live version of it taken from one of the very few gigs the did together (just a handful of dates in Italy & Japan). RF here plays a 'mean' guitar throughout, particularly the last two minutes (starting at 9:14): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki2xHIPI40Y

Oh, btw, I personally preferred Ultravox with John Foxx — can't beat this one, I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=savx6aY0nEw

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome Post Music!

+1

Thanks!

Quote:
...and now I want to get them again....

:)

Quote:
Man, never thought I'd see people talking bout Yeezy and Kendrick Lamar in a FAD thread of all things haha

Hey Music - what tracks off of MBDTF did you link to? Most of the links have been taken down. Was just curious which tracks you liked off of that album. And do give Good Kid, MAAD City a listen if you enjoy music that comes from a real place

I got a chance to audition a pair of Heaven VI for about 8 days recently. Really liked them, especially the seductive midrange and surprisingly capable low end. Instrumental timbre was lovely on the VI and probably the best I've heard to date

The 3 tracks linked to are/were Runaway, The Blame Game & Power — those, along with Hell of A Life, Gorgeous & Dark Fantasy, are my favourite ones on the album (Runaway probably being my favourite of all those).

Will definitely check out Good Kid, MAAD City. FWIW, the very gritty TV series, "The Wire", remains some of the very finest TV series ever made, definitely sitting as one of the top 5 TV series I've ever seen.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome Post Music!

+1
X2
smile_phones.gif

Thanks!  :)

Quote:

Wow, "Swoon" is one of my all-time favorite albums and you helped making it? Call me impressed and jealous! Absolutely agree on Prefab Sprout's genius, such incredibly catchy harmonies, yet far from cliched or mainstream.
beerchug.gif

Agreed.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,236 of 11,644
Thanks!

Still, your post had passion written all over it and you did bring up some interesting points.

Ian, FYI, I think we're the exact same age, but even so I think I may have to get an autograph from you at some point!  :wink:

Don't know if you've ever heard Japan's "Tin Drum" (1981) — unbelievable that a track like Ghosts became the album's single and was actually played on commercial radio (!) in Britain (absolutely unthinkable these days). There are other gems on the album (Talking Drum, Visions of China or Sons Of Pioneers) showcasing the immense talents of the late Mick Karn (on fretless bass), who sadly passed away at the tender age of 53 only 2 years ago.

However, it was Japan's lead singer's David Sylvian's subsequent first 3 albums that really showed Sylvian's maturity as a (still young) musician (3 albums I still listen to). There's a pretty good chance you've never heard of the truly excellent David Sylvian & Robert Fripp collaboration, "The First Day" (1993). This track comes from that album, but it's a live version of it taken from one of the very few gigs the did together (just a handful of dates in Italy & Japan). RF here plays a 'mean' guitar throughout, particularly the last two minutes (starting at 9:14): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki2xHIPI40Y

Oh, btw, I personally preferred Ultravox with John Foxx — can't beat this one, I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=savx6aY0nEw

Thanks!

Agreed.

I had a lot of fun in those days but I am very much a back room boy rather than front of house. It was great meeting those folks though and memories for the rest of my days. I am fortunate now to work with some really wonderful musicians as well.

I loved Japan! As far as I am concerned David Sylvian is God! You know, looking back to that period of the eighties I think the UK was riding a wave not unlike it rode in the sixties in terms of music. Of course there was great social upheaval at the time just as in the sixties and that seems to bring out the best in music I find. I loved Dexy's midnight runners as well. It all dried up for me in the late eighties as I had to give up the road to look after my Mother. It's nice to be back in the game in a small way now, mind I was always small fry in it anyway and from what I used to see I think that kept me sane.

I really miss the UK for so many reasons but one of the biggest is I still maintain it is one of the best places for diversity of music.

Oh yes, I loved John as well, great talent, more so than Midge I feel.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #1,237 of 11,644
Quote:
I really miss the UK for so many reasons but one of the biggest is I still maintain it is one of the best places for diversity of music.

Well, I wouldn't call Canada a musical desert either.
wink.gif
  Apart from the obvious names like Young, Cohen or Krall, there's also this extraordinarily gifted family that I'm particularly fond of:

Kate & Anna McGarrigle. Pretty much all of their albums are timeless classics, but I especially like the early ones.

Kate's children Martha and Rufus inherited her musical genius and uncanny knack for heart-wrenching harmonies:

Though Martha went on to do some slightly different stuff, but still with the same unmistakable charisma and grace:
wink.gif

Oh, and btw, all of this is superb stuff for the FADs! 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,238 of 11,644
Oh yes James, there is tremendous diversity here. Funny thing is though that I bet you if you tuned into 95% of the commercial radio stations here you would hear none of what you have shown. As far as I know only CBC truly supports the great independent artists here. I know many of my clients only outlet apart from live is CBC radio here. Most have to go to Europe or the US to be heard with a wider audience.

Several of my clients love the BBC for that reason, especially BBC Radio Two. They get more airplay there than they do in the domestic market.. Of course if your name happens to be Bieber or Nickleback that is a whole different story :wink:

The Be Good Tanya's are local to me, they are great..
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdIhpkEkC4c[/VIDEO]

Have you heard Martha's wonderful Piaf record, I really highly recommend it!

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysqbLZoO4zE[/VIDEO]

BTW, Both sound fantastic on the PF's!

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,239 of 11,644
Hmm, odd, the Martha one would not show so I will add it here!

How odd, the link won't show up! Check out her on youtube via this search.
Sans Fusils, Ni Souliers, à Paris: Martha Wainwright's Piaf Record

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,240 of 11,644
Quote:
...It's nice to be back in the game in a small way now, mind I was always small fry in it anyway and from what I used to see I think that kept me sane.

I can only imagine.

Quote:

Well, I wouldn't call Canada a musical desert either.
wink.gif
  Apart from the obvious names like Young, Cohen or Krall,...

Please, James, I'd like to remind you there should be no mention of, or reference to, Diana Krall in my presence or in threads where I post. Thank you.

(Note to othes: Inside joke)

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #1,241 of 11,644
I can only imagine.

Please, James, I'd like to remind you there should be no mention of, or reference to, Diana Krall in my presence or in threads where I post. Thank you.

[COLOR=A9A9A9](Note to othes: Inside joke)[/COLOR]

I met her husband a few months ago! He was coming out of a studio here. I remembered him from many moons ago but sadly he did not remember me! I have tried and tried to like Diana but just cannot get it. I have the live in Paris CD but never listen to it. Same with Snora Jones, no matter how hard I try I just fall asleep!

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,242 of 11,644
Quote:

(Note to othes: Inside joke)

Sooo ungrateful! You should be glad that I didn't mention Celine Dion or Michael Bublé! 
tongue.gif

Quote:
I met her husband a few months ago! He was coming out of a studio here. I remembered him from many moons ago but sadly he did not remember me! I have tried and tried to like Diana but just cannot get it. I have the live in Paris CD but never listen to it. Same with Snora Jones, no matter how hard I try I just fall asleep!

Oh, there's lots of great music I fall asleep to. I never make it past 3 or 4 Nick Drake songs, for instance, even though he's among my favorites. As for trying to stay awake during Norah Jones songs, try watching the videos. 
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #1,243 of 11,644
Quote:

Let's just say that my feelings towards D Krall & N Jones' music are not unlike yours. Buy, hey, there seem to be more than a handful people out there who seem to enjoy their music quite a bit

Quote:
Sooo ungrateful! 

I know!  :wink:

Quote:

...You should be glad that I didn't mention Celine Dion or Michael Bublé! 
tongue.gif

Here's an interesting titbit about a certain KC lyricist and member of the band (1969-1972) by the name of Peter Sinfield (responsible for the lyrics of KC's 21st Century Schizoid Man) — from Wikipedia: "...In 1993, [Peter Sinfield] re-released his solo album as Stillusion. In the same year, he and Hill released "Think Twice" by Celine Dion, which went on to become a massive hit and won an Ivor Novello Award for "Best Song Musically and Lyrically".

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #1,244 of 11,644
Quote:
Getting no deep bass is my problem with the Tera /Miracle pairing...and it does annoy me a lot, so I might pass...excellent album indeed. Tried the latest Kendrick Lamar ?

Quote:

So, I listened to the first 6 tracks (~30 mins of music) on Spotify (ie pretty decent SQ), and then I just couldn't go on with the following 6 tracks.

The lyrics on "Good Kid, MAAD City" are undoubtedly 'better' than on "MBDTF" and, as you say, Idsynchrono, they "come from a real place". The problem, for me, is the music. To me, music always comes first, lyrics always second. When you have someone like Peter Gabriel, who, in my view, writes not only excellent music, but well crafted lyrics, then even better (note PG is not my favourite musician, but I like quite a bit of his music).

A lot of the music I listen to is instrumental, be that classical, rock, pop, world, jazz, etc. Although "MBDTF" may not be lyrically on the level of "Good Kid, MAAD City", to these ears, the former is MUCH more interesting and rich musically, while the lyrics aren't always 'that bad'. This, unfortunately, is what I find with most hip hop / rap or pop music I've come across. Mind you, I find a lot jazz, classical & rock, etc. dead boring, cliched and empty, too.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #1,245 of 11,644
What do you know, you like Diana Krall and Celine Dion. :)
So, I listened to the first 6 tracks (~30 mins of music) on Spotify (ie pretty decent SQ), and then I just couldn't go on with the following 6 tracks.

The lyrics on "Good Kid, MAAD City" are undoubtedly 'better' than on "MBDTF" and, as you say, Idsynchrono, they "come from a real place". The problem, for me, is the music. To me, music always comes first, lyrics always second. When you have someone like Peter Gabriel, who, in my view, writes not only excellent music, but well crafted lyrics, then even better (note PG is not my favourite musician, but I like quite a bit of his music).

A lot of the music I listen to is instrumental, be that classical, rock, pop, world, jazz, etc. Although "MBDTF" may not be lyrically on the level of "Good Kid, MAAD City", to these ears, the former is MUCH more interesting and rich musically, while the lyrics aren't always 'that bad'. This, unfortunately, what I find with most hip hop / rap or pop music. Mind you I find a lot jazz, classical & rock dead boring and empty, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back