Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,246 of 11,643
Quote:
What do you know, you like Diana Krall and Celine Dion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not a fan of iether, but I'll tell you what, I find 4 excellent tracks on Dido's "Life For Rent".

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,247 of 11,643
So, I listened to the first 6 tracks (~30 mins of music) on Spotify (ie pretty decent SQ), and then I just couldn't go on with the following 6 tracks.

The lyrics on "Good Kid, MAAD City" are undoubtedly 'better' than on "MBDTF" and, as you say, Idsynchrono, they "come from a real place". The problem, for me, is the music. To me, music always comes first, lyrics always second. When you have someone like Peter Gabriel, who, in my view, writes not only excellent music, but well crafted lyrics, then even better (note PG is not my favourite musician, but I like quite a bit of his music).

A lot of the music I listen to is instrumental, be that classical, rock, pop, world, jazz, etc. Although "MBDTF" may not be lyrically on the level of "Good Kid, MAAD City", to these ears, the former is MUCH more interesting and rich musically, while the lyrics aren't always 'that bad'. This, unfortunately, is what I find with most hip hop / rap or pop music I've come across. Mind you, I find a lot jazz, classical & rock, etc. dead boring, cliched and empty, too.

Hey, I'm just happy you came in with an open mind and gave it a shot. :)

The tracks you listed off of MBDTF are some of my favorites off of that album as well. I feel like the music contained within MBDTF and Good Kid serves as a backdrop for the lyricist as they both feel like concept albums to me. Good Kid is a lot more down tempo as the subject material is a whole lot grimmer than the lyrical pomp that Kanye employs. I feel both artists draw you into entirely different worlds, and I will concede the point that Kanye's is certainly more vibrant and bombastic, but he's a producer first and foremost, (with a larger than life ego) so that doesn't surprise me.

I am curious however - upon coming across new music that you feel isn't to your taste, do you ever find yourself revisiting it? I feel like the albums I don't enjoy right off the bat can prove to be some of the most rewarding upon repeated listens, as my stance towards them evolves over time.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #1,250 of 11,643
Try Alexander Spit...more classic hip hop but great.
Hey, I'm just happy you came in with an open mind and gave it a shot. :)

The tracks you listed off of MBDTF are some of my favorites off of that album as well. I feel like the music contained within MBDTF and Good Kid serves as a backdrop for the lyricist as they both feel like concept albums to me. Good Kid is a lot more down tempo as the subject material is a whole lot grimmer than the lyrical pomp that Kanye employs. I feel both artists draw you into entirely different worlds, and I will concede the point that Kanye's is certainly more vibrant and bombastic, but he's a producer first and foremost, (with a larger than life ego) so that doesn't surprise me.

I am curious however - upon coming across new music that you feel isn't to your taste, do you ever find yourself revisiting it? I feel like the albums I don't enjoy right off the bat can prove to be some of the most rewarding upon repeated listens, as my stance towards them evolves over time.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,251 of 11,643
Quote:

Several, if not, many times, in fact!!

My favourite band made it very, very difficult for me to like them (as much as I do) and, even already being my favourite band, there were two albums which took a few years (not weeks or months) for the penny to drop. Same goes, for instance, since I mentioned him earlier, with Peter Gabriel's third album — I was 17 at the time and found the album too weird (you have to consider the music available up until that time, as what may seem a bit weird then may seem more normal today since many/most artists have been influenced by those who preceded them). Here's the opening track to what I regard today as perhaps a seminal album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzUh_H7yV0

Quote:
The tracks you listed off of MBDTF are some of my favorites off of that album as well. I feel like the music contained within MBDTF and Good Kid serves as a backdrop for the lyricist as they both feel like concept albums to me.

I agree completely (even when I only heard 6 of the 12 tracks on the "Good Kid" album).

Quote:
Good Kid is a lot more down tempo as the subject material is a whole lot grimmer than the lyrical pomp that Kanye employs.

Very true. Still, within the context of that mood, I think musically it's lacking somewhat, and I'm not one to demand constant "bombastic" changes in the music I enjoy — in fact, I often cringe at such types of changes. Here's one track that ain't exactly happy or "bombastic" that I feel may help you see more what I mean, or what appeals to me more (from PG's 4th album): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl4lLfC8ZlE

Quote:
I feel both artists draw you into entirely different worlds, and I will concede the point that Kanye's is certainly more vibrant and bombastic, but he's a producer first and foremost, (with a larger than life ego) so that doesn't surprise me.

You bet! And I'm not completely "withdrawn", for lack of a better term, from Good Kid's world as you may think.

NOTE: Apologies for the non-FAD content, or perhaps I should add that I enjoy both tracks/links a lot with the FX IX, though the latter more with the FI-BA-SS.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,252 of 11,643
If you guys liked the conceptual feel MBDTF, I think you'd like Undun by The Roots. It explores a drug dealer's life...in reverse. It begins at his moment of death, and goes all the way back to his birth. The album ends with 3 classical (violin) pieces.

I don't often listen to rap but, when I do, I prefer The Roots.

images

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,253 of 11,643
Even better live...as they are all musicians.
If you guys liked the conceptual feel MBDTF, I think you'd like Undun by The Roots. It explores a drug dealer's life...in reverse. It begins at his moment of death, and goes all the way back to his birth. The album ends with 3 classical (violin) pieces.

I don't often listen to rap but, when I do, I prefer The Roots.

images

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,254 of 11,643
Quote:

+1 Undun is such a great album - its artwork is even my avatar :wink:
I love most of their other albums too, especially "Do You Want More?" and "How I Got Over".

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,255 of 11,643
Quote:
I feel both artists draw you into entirely different worlds, and I will concede the point that Kanye's is certainly more vibrant and bombastic, but he's a producer first and foremost, (with a larger than life ego) so that doesn't surprise me.

I forgot to comment on this (bolded text): I think you don't realise to what extent—or perhaps quite underestimate—just how creative KW was on this particular album, irrespective of his producing credentials/skills.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,256 of 11,643
In the rap genre I really like the later Eminem stuff, I also like little Wayne, I think some of their lyrics are pure gold

As to albums one warms to over time there are so many that I heard when young and could not stand that now stand out as all time favorites. Personally I have always been a person who likes diverse genre's of music but must admit classical has always been a constant for me, it never seems to fade and in fact as I get older and appreciate artists more I am now listening to really avant garde classical that I would have never given house room to in the past.

OK, dark little secret that many will scoff at but I care not as his music got me through a number of childhood and mid life family traumas, John Denver!

His lyrics have always struck a cord with me and to this day after litterally thousands of live concerts I have attended his one that I saw in the UK a week after my Mum died stands head and shoulders as the best live performance I have ever seen.

His band were all first class musicians, they all knew each other so well that the instrumental communications between them were telepathic. Three and a half hours was his set length, no breaks, just the occasional talk between the music. But I must admit it remains special not only for those reasons but also that a friend of mine who managed the venue and who had got me a front seat ticket knowing it was just what I needed after mums passing had unbeknownst to me told John a bit about what had happened. ( I had nursed my mum through a terminal illness for almost eight years)

There I was enjoying the performance and suddenly he calls my name and tells me to come up on stage! He tells the audience what I had done and what had occurred, sat me on his stool center stage and proceeded to sing me sunshine on my shoulder! I was a gibbering wreck and will never ever forget his kindness and compassion in doing that!

You know, reading back on this thread I have forgotten how fortunate I have been and how much music means to the fabric of my life..

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,257 of 11,643
Quote:
In the rap genre I really like the later Eminem stuff, I also like little Wayne, I think some of their lyrics are pure gold

As to albums one warms to over time there are so many that I heard when young and could not stand that now stand out as all time favorites. Personally I have always been a person who likes diverse genre's of music but must admit classical has always been a constant for me, it never seems to fade and in fact as I get older and appreciate artists more I am now listening to really avant garde classical that I would have never given house room to in the past.

OK, dark little secret that many will scoff at but I care not as his music got me through a number of childhood and mid life family traumas, John Denver!

His lyrics have always struck a cord with me and to this day after litterally thousands of live concerts I have attended his one that I saw in the UK a week after my Mum died stands head and shoulders as the best live performance I have ever seen.

His band were all first class musicians, they all knew each other so well that the instrumental communications between them were telepathic. Three and a half hours was his set length, no breaks, just the occasional talk between the music. But I must admit it remains special not only for those reasons but also that a friend of mine who managed the venue and who had got me a front seat ticket knowing it was just what I needed after mums passing had unbeknownst to me told John a bit about what had happened. ( I had nursed my mum through a terminal illness for almost eight years)

There I was enjoying the performance and suddenly he calls my name and tells me to come up on stage! He tells the audience what I had done and what had occurred, sat me on his stool center stage and proceeded to sing me sunshine on my shoulder! I was a gibbering wreck and will never ever forget his kindness and compassion in doing that!

You know, reading back on this thread I have forgotten how fortunate I have been and how much music means to the fabric of my life..

Wow, Ian! Talk about a gem of a post! Thanks for that!! Yours may well be the most authentic, moving and true post in this whole thread (so far). It feels (almost) inappropriate to comment on it, and perhaps best to let it sit for a while for it to work its rare magic.

But I'll make a brief comment: For someone who's an avid fan of the fairly inaccessible band Henry Cow, like I am, to say that they love ABBA's Dancing Queen to this day may seem anathema, perhaps some thinking that calling it a sin might be an understatement. Yet, I maintain that Dancing Queen is one of the most beautifully crafted pop songs ever written.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,258 of 11,643
Thanks so much music.

You know, I am in full agreement with Dancing Queen. In fact I will say that some of the best lyrics to come out of the 1970's were ABBA lyrics.

I feel Benny and Bjorne were lyricists in the true meaning of the definition, up there with the greats from the 40's/50's and yes, Lennon and McCartney.

Many of their songs I feel will endure fads and musical phases and continue on. They also knew how to put on a great live performance as well.
Some of the greats I count blessed to have seen live who never will perform again either for ABBA's reasons or their dead are ABBA and also The Carpenters. I saw both in London and great they were.

A well crafted Pop song deserves as much reverence and acclaim as a Wagnerian Opera or a Bach Symphony I feel, after all those to we're the pop musicians of their day!

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,259 of 11,643
I forgot to comment on this (bolded text): I think you don't realise to what extent—or perhaps quite underestimate—just how creative KW was on this particular album, irrespective of his producing credentials/skills.

I can't reply to the majority of what you quoted earlier since I'm on my phone, but I just wanted to touch upon this -

I didn't mean this as a slight against Kanye actually, more as a means of rationalizing the difference between Good Kid and MBDTF. Kanye has the raw ability from his producer background and his delusions of grandeur lead him to push the envelope in the realm of pop music. He once said something to the effect of wanting to become the most important figure in pop music, and since he is quite obsessed with the former genre hopping king of pop. Michael Jackson, it's natural that his music would be bolder than that found in Good Kid. It's also perfectly valid to feel that the music within Good Kid is too basic, but I feel the music from that album serves its purpose within the context of the "story" it tells. It possesses this sleazy ambiance that paints the mad city of Compton quite well IMO

I appreciate the Peter Gabriel anecdote as well. I quite enjoyed the sinister and off kilter sounding "Intruder." As I've never actually explored Gabriel's catalogue, I'll make sure to seek out some of his work in the future. :)

And since we're recommending stuff, you ought to check out Shiina Ringo's concept album "Karuki, Samen, Kuri no Hana" (Chlorine, Semen, Chestnut Flower) sometime. I can't say with total conviction that you'd enjoy it, but that you'd at least perhaps find it interesting. It's not particularly well recorded as I understand Shiina recorded a large amount of the instruments on a MacBook in her home to save on production costs, but it's pretty much a distillation of her ego into 44 minutes and 44 seconds, and is definitely one of my all time favorite albums. (If you do seek it out, try to find the album as a whole rather than listening to individual songs, as there is a definite and deliberate flow to it)

Anyway, as for myself, it took me an embarrassingly long time to come around to the understanding that music doesn't necessarily need hooks to be good, as some music isn't so much about evoking pleasure as it is about transporting the listener into a realm occupied by the artist. (like say, Fever Ray)

Someone posted in MF's diary thread recently that he derived a lot of pleasure from the simple chord structure of Yo La Tengo's "The Story of Yo La Tango" and I'd have to agree with his sentiment. There are a lot of basic riffs, standards and formulas employed by artists over the course of history that ought to come across as dull and soporific, but the ones who play with passion and feeling find ways to transmogrify the old and weary into something special. Long story short, I suppose I'm the type that finds it easy to overlook simplicity in music so long as its delivered in earnest.

Finally, I'm glad to see you back Music, I've missed seeing you round these parts :)

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,260 of 11,643
I have found a quite unusual but fantastic source/source material for the PFIX. I plugged them into a Nintendo 3DS playing the new Luigi's Mansion game. It turned what was a fun little game into an extraordinarily engaging experience. The score to the game is wonderful and the sound effects are phenomenal. The three dimensional soundstage, and placement of the sound effects, provided by the PF's compliments the 3D visuals in a unique way. And the sound quality is actually pretty decent for a handheld gaming device. This is a bit of a diversion compared to the deep musical discussions going on, but if you have a 3ds, highly recommended! 
biggrin.gif

Edit: I fully understand the 'sounds good in a church' comment, because the reverb heard in the hallways/locales is uncannily realistic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back