Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 3, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #8,746 of 11,642
Received the Final E3000 today!
First impressions: I'm 95% pleased with them. The 5% drop is the mid-bass bloom, otherwise they sound excellent to my ear, it is the sound signature that I hoped for: natural, musical, full-bodied vocals, smooth high-mids, smooth highs. L-shaped I guess by general consensus, but for me they are neutral because it is the sound that I like and perceive as neutral.
Yes the mid-bass is a bit too much, but outdoors it will be beneficial because outdoors you always need more bass :)
I also love the fact that they are not isolating / claustrophobic. They feel like open cans. Very good soundstage.
The comfort is stellar, excellent selection of tips - 5 sizes!. Very good materials on the tips.
For me, this is one of the rare occasions when a pair of headphones / IEMs perfectly fit the description of the reviews I've read about them.
I also bought the FiiO FH1 based on reviews and it was a big let-down: there was something missing between the bass and the high mids, they had low bass but otherwise sounded thin and disjointed. The E3000 I find very cohesive - the advantage of single driver! I love them!
I use them with my FiiO Q5 DAC/AMP and they pair perfectly.

Please tell me if / how will they change after burn-in?

I got mine about a month ago and just ran them for 60 hours on my iPod without listening too much and probably have another 10 hours further. Since most of these cheaper IEMs have FRs much like a paint shaker, I find them refreshing. I have KZ ZSTs, GeekWorld, ToneKing TS1s and Symphonized NG?, so those comprise my immediate frame of reference. My source is the XS Max iPhone, FWIW.

Chris

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #8,747 of 11,642
My visual representation of the E4000 soundstage width and depth.

paint.png

I'll keep aggressively burning them in but nothings changed so far.

Jul 3, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #8,748 of 11,642
I've been really enjoying my E5000s and have found them to be pretty much ideal in terms of sound signature. I found myself reaching for them more often than any of my other IEMs, to the point where I have sold my Andromedas, Vegas, Comets, and other IEMs.

I am wondering if there are other IEMs similarly tuned to the E5000, but with a bit more detail in the treble. I've read that the E4000 or the Sony XBA-N3 may be options and will explore those two. Would anyone have any other suggestions? Budget isn't too big of a factor and am happy to pay more for a solid upgrade.

I just posted a couple of pages ago that the Moondrop Kanas and Moondrop Kxxs are very close in terms of frequency response to the E5000, including a slightly more aggressive treble presence. :grin:

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #8,749 of 11,642
My visual representation of the E4000 soundstage width and depth.

I'll keep aggressively burning them in but nothings changed so far.

If you want more depth, you have to spend more money.

Z-axis depth is what sets TOTL headphones apart (among other factors) for me. Andromeda’s depth is unreal. Atticus has great depth. No, E5000 doesn’t have a holographic soundstage. But they sound great, are very comfortable, and I don’t worry about losing or dropping $280 IEMs.

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #8,750 of 11,642

Z-axis depth is what sets TOTL headphones apart (among other factors) for me. Andromeda’s depth is unreal. Atticus has great depth. No, E5000 doesn’t have a holographic soundstage. But they sound great, are very comfortable, and I don’t worry about losing or dropping $280 IEMs.
I will say there are some more spacious in that range, but you have to work around other issues. To my ears, Tanchjim Oxygens excel there, as do the iSines.

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #8,752 of 11,642

I disagree, Sony MDREX650 (£45) have a lot more depth and almost as wide, faster and a tigher bass but they loose in smoothness, treble extension and timbre. More money does not equal more depth but it is the design of the driver/headphone itself.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #8,753 of 11,642
Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement cable for E4000? My one year old cable is already starting to stiffen up from skin oils even though I wore it only occasionally.

If you are in the US, try Audio46.com ... they can likely order one for you.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #8,754 of 11,642
If you are in the US, try Audio46.com ... they can likely order one for you.

Yeah, found the cable, it's Final C112, currently for sale by Final on Amazon for the low price of $470 or I could buy it from Kotaku for a little over $100 with shipping an all. Well, I could buy 3 pairs of brand new E4000 instead. What's the screwing point of making a removable cable if it's not worth replacing it? Jeesh, daylight robbery this is.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #8,755 of 11,642
Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement cable for E4000? My one year old cable is already starting to stiffen up from skin oils even though I wore it only occasionally.

Yeah, found the cable, it's Final C112, currently for sale by Final on Amazon for the low price of $470 or I could buy it from Kotaku for a little over $100 with shipping an all. Well, I could buy 3 pairs of brand new E4000 instead. What's the screwing point of making a removable cable if it's not worth replacing it? Jeesh, daylight robbery this is.

Oh man, there are so many fine cheap cables ($20-50) available on amazon. Depending on how you prefer to wear the E4000, you can get braided MMCX cables designed to be worn up or down, with SPC or OFC wires, and terminated in SE 3.5mm, 2.5mm balanced, or 4.4mm pentacon. No need to stick with an official Final Audio cable. I got a **** cable for my E5000 that I’m quite happy with, but my needs might be different than yours.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #8,756 of 11,642
Oh man, there are so many fine cheap cables ($20-50) available on amazon. Depending on how you prefer to wear the E4000, you can get braided MMCX cables designed to be worn up or down, with SPC or OFC wires, and terminated in SE 3.5mm, 2.5mm balanced, or 4.4mm pentacon. No need to stick with an official Final Audio cable. I got a **** cable for my E5000 that I’m quite happy with, but my needs might be different than yours.

I do have other cables, quite a lot of them actually, you might say I have a cable problem. I just wanted to use the original cable with the E4000 as I liked it. But pay $100 for the cable of a $140 IEM? That would be quite foolish.

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #8,758 of 11,642
I do have other cables, quite a lot of them actually, you might say I have a cable problem. I just wanted to use the original cable with the E4000 as I liked it. But pay $100 for the cable of a $140 IEM? That would be quite foolish.

Yeah, that's a waste of cable budget. And, tbh, the E4000's cable is... fine, I guess? It didn't jump out to me as special, so that's why I made the assumption that I did. But like I might've mentioned, I prefer wearing the E-series over the ear, so removable earhooks are more of hassle than the soft kind that are permanently attached.

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #8,760 of 11,642

Oh man, depth. Really only a few IEMs I've listened have it...Zeus XIV, Andromeda, Roxanne II, Legend X...pretty much it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back