Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #5,221 of 11,664
... It turns out the cable had come loose on the left earpiece.

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #5,222 of 11,664
Top-notch witchcraft at work with the single BA implementation. I'm finally a member of the FAD club after holding out since Heaven IV. Let me be spellbound for a while with impressions soon! Cast that spell Final....

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #5,225 of 11,664
Ahh...a comparison review of fibass vs HVII is in order then!

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #5,228 of 11,664
Huh... the shells are different then. Wild. Even the barrel upon which the tips attach are of a different length. Muzak's impressions have me a bit more interested in the VII. James, you'd mentioned that you can sort of approximate the VII's sig with alcohol swab on the inside of the SS right? I'm not imagining that, am I?

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #5,229 of 11,664
  James, you'd mentioned that you can sort of approximate the VII's sig with alcohol swab on the inside of the SS right? I'm not imagining that, am I?

link
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #5,230 of 11,664

LOL. Seems I'd already asked this question 2 months prior. Guess I better stock up on Werther's Originals and apply for AARP membership now.

"They're much smaller than I would have guessed prior to A/B listening"

Guess I can go back to not really caring again :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #5,232 of 11,664
I have not had much time with them, but so far, I am not understanding the Lab 1 magic...what is it? They do sound smooth and cohesive and quite balanced, with nice bass texture. However quite small soundstage so far, and nothing exceptional. I will give them more time before judging any further, but not overly impressed so far.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #5,233 of 11,664
Yeah, but did you assemble your very own deconstructed leather carrying satchel? I found that my connection to the LAB I increased by a factor of 5 after I carefully laced the package together. It must be the same feeling of pride and attachment that a mama duck experiences when it shepherds its raft of ducklings across a road. 

I wasn't actually impressed by the LAB at first either. As a matter of fact, a lot of us LAB owners tend to feel that they're not particularly "impressive" nor "ostentatious" phones in the traditional sense. You might not ever grow to appreciate them at all, even.  That aside, I wouldn't really say that their soundstage is "quite small" 

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #5,234 of 11,664
do give it some time to run-in. I wasn't impressed in the first month of my usage. Now, after using it for some 2 months, I do feel it sounds more "open" and am pretty happy with it, especially after comparing side by side with FI-BA-SS & PF X-G, which makes me understand each phones market positioning and Lab 1's strengths. Although I have to say, I wish Lab 1 has the horn-like sonic characteristics and a wider soundstage.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #5,235 of 11,664
  I have not had much time with them, but so far, I am not understanding the Lab 1 magic...what is it? They do sound smooth and cohesive and quite balanced, with nice bass texture. However quite small soundstage so far, and nothing exceptional. I will give them more time before judging any further, but not overly impressed so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back