Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,971 of 11,659
Damn, the Heaven V and Heaven V aging both have differences in the sound presentation!

If you have both on hand then don't just leave us hanging! Lol

So I gave a FAD Heaven C loaner a bit of a listen today.

Super quick first impressions:
Very nice, solid and energetic FAD mids. It kind of splits the difference in presentation between a monitor like the ASG-2 and something that sounds like a very good acoustic hall like the Heaven V Aging ("HVa"). In that way, I think it's a bit better of an all rounder than the HVa, and while having better detail retrieval and more lower treble presence sounds a bit less organic and less timbrally solid across the frequency range.

These are likely to change with more time.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #2,973 of 11,659
Revisiting "Five Leaves Left" with the PF IXs — Ian, I can't thank you enough for this album recommendation.

So glad your still enjoying it. Funnily enough I revisited Nick last night with my new AK120, such a lovely experience and made even more so by pulling out my Heaven S's which I have not listened to for such a long time ( I had to apply a thin coat of clear nail polish so as to not get rashes on my ear from the base metal coming through the gold plating, does not seem to have effected the SQ though!)

Excuse the pun but the pairing is a match made in heaven!

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2,975 of 11,659
Ian, not sure if I should ask here or in the 120 thread, but how do you like your 120 compared to your 801?

I really enjoyed my 801 and felt it a step up from my CLAS/Classic combo in terms of refinement. the 120 takes that refinement to another level I feel. It sounds so clean and clear but with warmth and depth as well. Totally grain free. It is so funny when you upgrade from something you really loved. You wonder how what you have can be improved upon but with my experience now I would say the greatest improvement is refinement of the sound and until one hears that refinement taken up a notch you don't think you really need it but what it works out to when listening to music is that the music feels effortless and relaxing and yet at the same time engaging, very engaging.

This is what I feel the 120 has over the 801 and it is a not inconsiderable improvement and I feel it is a totally different beast to the 100. The 100 was like the DX100 for me, bells and whistles and HiFi impressive but not that musical which is why I went for the 801 and would still have the 801 over those two any day of the week.

What is most remarkable about this is that this is right out of the player, I can't wait to hear what it sounds like out of our amp! I am told the line out though combined with an HP out is very clean I will report back when my amp is back but for everything I have heard as of now I see no reason why this will not be a winning combo.

If someone had said to me 4 years ago I would be saying a $1300 portable player was good value I would have said they were nuts, I simply cannot say that now. Very impressed with the total package and would heartily recommend it as an upgrade to the 801.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2,976 of 11,659
Heaven V Aging in the house!

I have to say, I'm slightly disappointed. I guess I was expecting 1601/Piano Forte type mids 
frown.gif
. Why doth they haunteth me so?

Once I get past that, it's strangely reminiscent of the Sennheiser HD650, but not quite as refined.

I'll play around with SGS's EQ for a bit and report back.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,977 of 11,659
Heaven V Aging in the house!

I have to say, I'm slightly disappointed. I guess I was expecting 1601/Piano Forte type mids 
frown.gif

. Why doth they haunteth me so?

Once I get past that, it's strangely reminiscent of the Sennheiser HD650, but not quite as refined.

I'll play around with SGS's EQ for a bit and report back.

1601/PF and HD650, I like where these comparisons are starting :D :p

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #2,978 of 11,659
What a great IEM the PF IX is. And what a great band the Gabriel-era Genesis was (1970-1974, five years and five fine albums). I remember once reading an interview with all members of The Cure; they were each asked about the best gig they'd ever been to; I can't remember which one of them said that it was a Genesis concert in '72 / '73. Who would have thought, when you listen to the music of The Cure (up to that point), that one of them would have chosen a gig by the early '70s Genesis — guess some might argue the poor lad hadn't been to many gigs in his life!

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/06+After+The+Ordeal/4InK6n?src=5
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/08+Aisle+Of+Plenty/4C7kiE?src=5

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2,979 of 11,659
Piano Forte X-G have landed, they render a lot of my music unlistenable. But the handful of well recorded FLAC i have sounds superb... I can see myself sitting back and listening for a long time :) also i find them to be very comfy albeit slightly heavy. Also that case!! wow

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,980 of 11,659
Hot on randomkid's heels, my Piano Forte IX have arrived in my hands!

Yeah, these 'phones sound amazing on songs that suit it, enjoyable on others and downright horrid on most.
The process of inserting them into your ear is just orgasmic IMO; the coldness of the metal that slowly disappears along with the feel of the 'phones in your ear. Love how they just hang there! Fortunately I can walk around with them without difficulty.

Question for other owners: I'm feeling that the case they provided, although really nice, is a bit too 'shallow'. Anyone else feel this way? 
If any other owners could post pictures of how they store their Piano Forte IEMs that would be great!

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,983 of 11,659
i have got the piano forte ix ..and compared that with piano forte viii. 

Prefer the piano forte ix due to the bighter sound signature - enjoyed that a lot with the govibe porta tube amp for slow vocals and instruments.i also have the FAD fi ba-ss which is another beast althogether ! Both are aluring in their unique ways.

Any guys here tried the piano forte ix and how was that different in sound vs the PF X ? - never came across copper based speakers or earphones so i'm so curious..

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,984 of 11,659
I swear the PF series are the most photogenic headphones ever...

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,985 of 11,659
Quote:
I swear the PF series are the most photogenic headphones ever...

Surely you've forgotten about the Jecklin Floats! 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back