Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,088 of 11,644
It ends June 21 actually. $75 off gave me the excuse to finally "upgrade" (really a size downgrade) from the Stepdance.

I also wrap the cable around my ears. It removes all microphonics.

Ugh, I've been looking for one on the FS section for a little while because I'd rather not move too much of my IEM budget toward this since it's not exactly critical, but they never come up. And now that this is apparently a great sale...

Is there a really good reason why one would want a Quickstep over a 2Stepdance?

FYI - that official chrome case is available for 1,800 yen

http://final-audio-design-directshop.com/final/7.1/FI-CCA

Thanks!!!

I assume that this will be the new design with the padded interior. I would fire FAD an email and confirm though. The old snap-holder design had no padding.

Good idea. How is their English? My Japanese is pretty rudimentary.

I'm kind of upset now: As good as the Musica Acoustics service was in all other regards, I asked them on two separate occasions during my order if getting that case from FAD was possible, and the question was completely ignored twice. I assumed from that that it wasn't possible.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,089 of 11,644
By the way - and I should have made note when and where this happened - but there was a guy that had a 009 rig. And he also had the PF-X. He said the chain was important for the earphone, but when you had it right, the PF-X was just as good or superior to his tastes. Even with the sonic differences, the quality of the PF-X detail, air, soundstage, resolution, etc.. was easily on the 009 level. 

Strikes me as odd that in a random thread unrelated to the FAD thread, this guy would make SUCH a statement about such radically different sound experiences. 

Makes me want to go all out on a PF-X rig    8 )

I might know who you are referring to but I could be wrong as well.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #2,091 of 11,644
Quote:

The Sony Hybrid stem mod is a winner. Thanks!

You gotta trust the old witch doctor! 
wink.gif

Quote:

The downside of the stem mod is that you lose a lot of wax protection. The covering on the Heaven VI tip is quite exposed. I keep my ears clean anyway and now I will really have to.

Not much experience here with wax problems, fortunately.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #2,092 of 11,644
Quote:
Good idea. How is their English? My Japanese is pretty rudimentary.

Here's an example, some time back I asked them about the difference between the 1601 and 1602 series and got this reply:

Quote:
In answer to your question, yes, the 1602  roughly as mid-centric as the 1601...but as we integrated the structure of horn speakers into 1602, it produce more dense sound than 1601. You will be able to find obvious different sound feature so please try it out somewhere. Honestly, please be informed that it may not work well with deep bass sound produced by computer.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #2,093 of 11,644
Quote:

Here's an example, some time back I asked them about the difference between the 1601 and 1602 series and got this reply:
Quote:
In answer to your question, yes, the 1602  roughly as mid-centric as the 1601...but as we integrated the structure of horn speakers into 1602, it produce more dense sound than 1601. You will be able to find obvious different sound feature so please try it out somewhere. Honestly, please be informed that it may not work well with deep bass sound produced by computer.

Time to put my 1602s (PX IXs) up for sale... fast!

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #2,094 of 11,644

So it's better than mine. Thanks for digging that up James.

Do you by any chance know if I can place an order with them direct or if I'd have to go through Tenso or something?

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2,095 of 11,644
Quote:

Time to put my 1602s (PX IXs) up for sale... fast!

Lol, I spent quite some time pondering about the meaning of this last sentence. My read is they meant electronica / EDM, in which case I'd agree.

Quote:
Do you by any chance know if I can place an order with them direct or if I'd have to go through Tenso or something?

Sorry I don't know, I've bought my FAD stuff either from Dimitri or from Amazon via Tenso.

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #2,097 of 11,644
Quote:
Is there a really good reason why one would want a Quickstep over a 2Stepdance?
I'm kind of upset now: As good as the Musica Acoustics service was in all other regards, I asked them on two separate occasions during my order if getting that case from FAD was possible, and the question was completely ignored twice. I assumed from that that it wasn't possible.

Quickstep has more robust 3.5mm jacks and extensive RF filtering. These are both useful improvements. However in terms of sound, the 2Stepdance and Quickstep are identical (and not much different than the original Stepdance).

I'm really not surprised that Musica Acoustics does not special order FAD accessories. Unfortunately there would not be much money in it for the hassle involved.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2,098 of 11,644
Quickstep has more robust 3.5mm jacks and extensive RF filtering. These are both useful improvements. However in terms of sound, the 2Stepdance and Quickstep are identical (and not much different than the original Stepdance).

I'm really not surprised that Musica Acoustics does not special order FAD accessories. Unfortunately there would not be much money in it for the hassle involved.

Ok, I have some thinking to do in regard to the amp then. Thanks.

That's fine and I completely understand that. I'm just saying that adding one sentence to the email saying that "we don't offer FAD accessories but the cases are sold by FAD" would have been appreciated instead of "".

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,099 of 11,644
Oooh the new case that comes with the Heaven VI seems like a big improvement to the last one, now it is practical and looks awesome, its a shame i got my Heaven VI with out any accessories. :frowning2:

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #2,100 of 11,644
Just got email from FAD, the new round matalic case for FAD PF X now only available in EU with different price tag. Not sell in Japan yet but will be in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back