Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 19, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #3,001 of 4,925
That's what I've been hearing, @Slim1970. I've been using single ended RCAs into my Woo 5-LE first gen for years, and with a fully balanced DAC and a good deal on a second hand GS-X mk2 I've decided to make steps down the balanced route. Of course, getting nice XLR cables inbound to the Headamp has only highlighted that I can only really fully utilise the balanced topology if I address the D8000 Pro feed. Creating a rod for one's own back as I don't see so many used XLR cables with the locking pins floating around...but I'll be patient as I believe it should be worth it!

Great to hear you had positive impressions from the combo, particularly given your extensive gear experience :)
Like you, I needed a balanced cable for my D8000. But there was no way I would spend what Final wanted for an XLR cable that was too short and made of silver (absolutely not something I want for this particular headphone)--so I set out to find a way around the locking jacks thing.

I ended up getting a pair of cable "pigtails" from ForzaAudioWorks, from whom I previously bought 2 balanced cables (their TOTL copper cable, Noir HCP MK2). Matt made me 2 ~6" lengths of that same copper cable with a male mini-XLR jack on one end and a long-shaft 3.5mm male jack on the other. Each of those 3.5mm jacks gets pushed into the D8000's earcup receptacles. They don't lock, but they are thin enough to go right past the interior locking rings, and they don't fall out.

Problem solved.

Before working with FAW on this, I tried to get the same thing from Norne Audio (I have a balanced examples of their terrific TOTL copper cable, the Drausk), but couldn't reach Trevor. He's a one-man show and was too busy.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #3,004 of 4,925
Hi fellow Final Audio owners & others...

Just picked up the Headamp GS-X Mk2 for my D8000 Pros and as I'm feeding it balanced XLR inbound I'm now realising I really need a 4 pin XLR cable to take advantage of its balanced amp topology. I'm currently using the Final silver/OFC 6.35m cable, which I'd like to keep (required for my Woo WA5-LE 1st gen...)

Have put an ad in the classifieds, but on the off chance I thought I would also ask amongst this forum if any owners have changed amps recently and maybe has a spare they'd like to sell of (in order of pref for me):

- Final Silver/OFC 4pin XLR cable
- 3rd party compatible 4pin XLR cable
- Final Silver OFC 6.35mm SE connector (would maybe look at buying and re-terminating

Please PM me if so....
This is what I use: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002851011786.html

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,005 of 4,925
Thanks for the suggestions all :)

@Benno1988 - I've had Toxic cables in the past, had some good experiences and nice customer service but my product choices ended up being very expensive (I'm not sure I want to spend that much!).

Thanks @Kapazza - hadn't seen these folks before, very cheap, will take a look.

@balvan - certainly a very cost effective option, but how do you find their sound to be to your other D8000 Pro cables?

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #3,006 of 4,925
Thanks for the suggestions all :)

@Benno1988 - I've had Toxic cables in the past, had some good experiences and nice customer service but my product choices ended up being very expensive (I'm not sure I want to spend that much!).

Thanks @Kapazza - hadn't seen these folks before, very cheap, will take a look.

@balvan - certainly a very cost effective option, but how do you find their sound to be to your other D8000 Pro cables?
The cables sound great, charging x20 doesn't make a cable better. Branding cables is just going too far... it's like branded gaming chairs.
order one and give it a shot, it's cheap, and you'll find it does a great job.

The default cable is the main thing that is responsible for the uncomfortableness of the D8000, it pulls you down, it is very heavy.

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #3,007 of 4,925
Dec 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #3,008 of 4,925
You're doing your Final's an injustice with this cable on aesthetic grounds alone!

Many affordable 3rd party cable makers out there making great sounding cables with excellent ergonomics. Forza in EU and Arctic Cables in US would be my recommendation.

:beerchug: cheers, mate - nothing to add here ...

@Cakes : http://stritt-audio.de/kabelmanufaktur/ -> (more than) reasonably priced, perfectly manufactured, according to your wishes - my 4,4mm cable for the D8000 Pro was manufactured there - and I am totally happy with it.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #3,009 of 4,925
You're doing your Final's an injustice with this cable on aesthetic grounds alone!

Many affordable 3rd party cable makers out there making great sounding cables with excellent ergonomics. Forza in EU and Arctic Cables in US would be my recommendation.
If we are talking aesthetics, to each their own, I like it, and you can choose plenty of other materials and sleeves.
Other than aesthetics, what would you base your rejection of the cable on?

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #3,010 of 4,925
If we are talking aesthetics, to each their own, I like it, and you can choose plenty of other materials and sleeves.
Other than aesthetics, what would you base your rejection of the cable on?
I mean, personally - personally - I would not pair a beautiful pair of TOTL headphones with an Aliexpress cable. You can spend like a hundred Euros more and get a decent cable from Forza which will be handmade, have excellent ergonomics, uses decent (or premium) parts, 2 year warranty, and is widely recognized to sound great. And that's at entry level. Even if you're not a cable believer, I personally think it's worth spending a bit to get a decent cable.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #3,011 of 4,925
I mean, personally - personally - I would not pair a beautiful pair of TOTL headphones with an Aliexpress cable. You can spend like a hundred Euros more and get a decent cable from Forza which will be handmade, have excellent ergonomics, uses decent (or premium) parts, 2 year warranty, and is widely recognized to sound great. And that's at entry level. Even if you're not a cable believer, I personally think it's worth spending a bit to get a decent cable.
just to add - of course @balvan you are right, when you are saying

"I like it, and you can choose plenty of other materials and sleeves.
Other than aesthetics, what would you base your rejection of the cable on"

According to my experiance, you can be lucky with the craftmanship and used hardware, when buying from Aliexpress/ more or less unknown chinese resources, or you may not - even from the same vendor quality range and used hardware for one and the same cable CAN be VERY different.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #3,012 of 4,925
It's what they would have you believe is appropriate. I can see how much reviewers and website are pushing branded cables trying to normalize it and get you thinking you need to spend a lot of money on it. Cables became a fashion, a status symbol, just like gaming chairs, which turns out are all coming from the same factory in China. you can see different sleeves with alternating tones of colors and names like super dragons, ultimate golden cable, ninja destroyers. it's just cable....

When you are reading a review, do you believe that if you don't have the same cable(s) as the reviewer you'll get a different experience with the reviewed headphone\device?

I submit you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between cables on a blind test, and that you are rejecting the cable based on nothing more than its origin. It just might be better than a branded cable made in the EU or US.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #3,013 of 4,925

Based on the recommendation from @Pharmaboy (thank you, BTW) I took at look on the Forza store and shot over a website enquiry over first thing this morning. The prices seem about where I'd like to land with this new XLR cable and their Noir Hybrid HPC seems a match for what I'm looking for with my R2R DAC (i.e. Silver UPOCC, a little more revealing up top than the mentioned Noir HPC Mk2).

So my natural inclination is probably to look within these type of well regarded but affordable 3rd party cable makers in Europe or the US (partic if a second hand cable is not forthcoming, which looks likely). Thanks for the suggestion on Arctic too, @Nostoi - I will take a look.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #3,014 of 4,925
It's what they would have you believe is appropriate. I can see how much reviewers and website are pushing branded cables trying to normalize it and get you thinking you need to spend a lot of money on it. Cables became a fashion, a status symbol, just like gaming chairs, which turns out are all coming from the same factory in China. you can see different sleeves with alternating tones of colors and names like super dragons, ultimate golden cable, ninja destroyers. it's just cable....

When you are reading a review, do you believe that if you don't have the same cable(s) as the reviewer you'll get a different experience with the reviewed headphone\device?

I submit you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between cables on a blind test, and that you are rejecting the cable based on nothing more than its origin. It just might be better than a branded cable made in the EU or US.
Not going to get into a cable debate, but basically - I don't disagree with you that a lot of cable marketing is very dubious. Also don't disagree with you that status comes into play. Cable snobbery is legit.

That said, I do believe in the integrity of a few cable companies and do believe their cables can make subtle differences in sound quality (especially Arctic Cables but also Brise Audio) to say nothing of feeling better and looking better.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #3,015 of 4,925
According to my experiance, you can be lucky with the craftmanship and used hardware, when buying from Aliexpress/ more or less unknown chinese resources, or you may not - even from the same vendor quality range and used hardware for one and the same cable CAN be VERY different.
Let me tell you that many times I found branded products that are sold on Amazon also being sold on AliExpress for a lot less - 100% the same.

Believe it or not, each cable is made to order by an actual real person that you can even talk to. I did, I asked to see the solder, and I asked for locking 3.5mm connectors, which he located for me (but I do not recommend the locks, unnecessary). for another cable I asked for a custom sleeve, and he made it for me, as per my request.

Today a lot a Chinese brands are very popular and recognized in the audio world, such as Cyan, little Dot, Hifiman, Fiio and so on, all have their official store on AliExpress.

I suggest you go ahead and order a cable, and see for yourself, try to arrange a blind test with the help of a friend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back