Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #2,971 of 4,999
There you go. This EQ might work for you. Give it a try on Peace and usea a preamp of -8.5 db.

Screenshot_2022-12-06-14-49-34-33_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643~01.jpg
Thanks a lot, will try it later tonight.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #2,973 of 4,999
Can anyone recommend a good amp or dac\amp for the D8000 Pro around 1000-1200$?
I currently use the Burson Conductor 3XP but I feel the music sounds flat, analytical, too laid back, not engaging.
I am wondering if that can be due to a bad matching with my device.
I mostly listen to Melodic Death Metal, and compared to the LCD-X the D8000 Pro just aren't exciting, they are cleaner, more precise, but the experience is lacking.

I was also wondering if I could benefit from changing the pads to modify the sound.
I admit upfront that I never heard the D8000 Pro. But I own the D8000 and love its sound. You also listen to music that I'm not familiar with, but that shouldn't matter much. Once a headphone sounds great on one genre, odds are it will sound at least pretty good on another.

Your Burson 3XP conductor = 2 variables at the same time: a powerful SS amp (some love that sound, others don't) and a delta-sigma DAC (same comment). To me, this device is the place to start, not pads (you aready have Final's "G" pads, which are excellent).

If I were in your shoes, the first thing I'd do is roll opamps in the Burson. I can recommend Sparkos SS3362 (dual opamp) from personal experience. These sound punchy, organic and musical. No edgy highs or upper midrange here. These can be used to improve the sound of the Burson.

https://sparkoslabs.com/product/dual-discrete-op-amp-ss3602/

The next level intervention would be to stay with the Burson's DAC and try another amp. I own 8 amps; several of them are killer/good on planars: the Violectric V281; the Monoprice Liquid Gold X; and the Kinki Studio THR-1 (F.S. here). Depending on whether your cabling is single-ended or balanced, you might also go w/the discontinued Violectrics, V200; V220; V280.
I'm pretty sure you can use the DAC in the Burson to output single-ended or balanced cables to an external amp.

Conversely, you could stay with the Burson (especially if you liked the results of opamp rolling) and try another DAC. I'm firmly in the NOS DAC camp and also like multibits. Hard to generalize about design class of DACs, but I find NOS and multibit to have a more liquid/smooth & tonally humane vibe than any delta-sigma I've heard.

Net/net: I suspect you have the right headphone, but are just lacking something elsewhere in the chain.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #2,974 of 4,999
Is it possible to use the D8000 Pro with an OTL amp such as Little Dot MKVI+ ?
https://littledotus.com/?product=mk-vi ?
Planar headphones like your D8000 Pro are not guaranteed bad/boomy-bass sound when used with an OTL tube amp, as low impedance dynamic headphones are (planar drivers have very different impedance behavior at frequency extremes vs dynamics). I've tried planar headphones with my OTL, the Woo WA3. They actually sound pretty good, though neither of my tube amps really brings the punch and bass reach my best SS amps have.

But there are other reasons to have an OTL--if you ever get a high impedance dynamic driver headphone, you'll have a reason to want one...

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #2,975 of 4,999
neither of my tube amps really brings the punch and bass reach my best SS amps have.
What then is their advantage? what would I gain by going wit a tube amp?

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,976 of 4,999
There you go. This EQ might work for you. Give it a try on Peace and usea a preamp of -8.5 db.

Screenshot_2022-12-06-14-49-34-33_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643~01.jpg
Thanks again, I tried this setting and it wasn't as good as the Oratory1990 profile to my ears.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #2,978 of 4,999
What then is their advantage? what would I gain by going wit a tube amp?
I saw someone else here recommended a tube amp. I love tube amps, but if your primary headphone is a planar, I wouldn't necessarily recommend one.

Note: there are a few large, expensive tube amps said to sound wonderful with planar headphones, but I can't fit them in my space or afford them, so I'm not the one to advise you there.

I've found the real beauty and utility of tube amps are shown with dynamic driver headphones:
  • High-impedance dynamics really light up on OTL tube amps;
  • They also tend to sound great on transformer-coupled tube amps, as do low impedance dynamics
My D8000 sounds "just OK" on my OTL tube amp; and a lot more than OK on my transformer-coupled tube amp. But like all the other planars I have or had here, the D8000 sounds best on state amps, particularly powerful ones that are voiced for music appreciation, not for best possible measurements.

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #2,979 of 4,999
So yesterday I decided I'm going to crack the issue I was having with the D8000 Pro, make it more lively and engaging and a bit warmer. I am happy to say I found a two part solution.

The first part is easy, I changed the DAC filter to LP Fast, it seemed to make them less harsh or shouty.

The second part was to add another band into the Oratory1990 EQ in the low mids, and push it up a bit.
This is the EQ I am happy with:

EQ1.jpg

EQ2.jpg

Attachments

• EQ1.jpg
    EQ1.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,981 of 4,999
So yesterday I decided I'm going to crack the issue I was having with the D8000 Pro, make it more lively and engaging and a bit warmer. I am happy to say I found a two part solution.

The first part is easy, I changed the DAC filter to LP Fast, it seemed to make them less harsh or shouty.

The second part was to add another band into the Oratory1990 EQ in the low mids, and push it up a bit.
This is the EQ I am happy with:

EQ1.jpg

EQ2.jpg
D8KP can handle any EQ you throw at it haha

Dec 10, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #2,982 of 4,999
Well, they're here, and they're spectacular. Impressions to follow.
Is there any chance to read a deep review from You? I would be grateful because I really consider buying a Limited Edition. D8000 pro is my love and I just want to know if there is any difference sound wise and if it’s better than regular version :wink:

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #2,983 of 4,999
Is there any chance to read a deep review from You? I would be grateful because I really consider buying a Limited Edition. D8000 pro is my love and I just want to know if there is any difference sound wise and if it’s better than regular version :wink:
Honestly, I can't really compare these to the Pro. I only heard the Pro on WA-33 and HM1 amps (mostly on the HM1) which isn't really a fair comparison with my amp (Auris Nirvana) as I think the Finals tend to be better on solid state, rather than tube (and HM1 is an insane amplifier). If you already have the Pro and love them, I'm not sure I'd upgrade to the LE, especially given the sale of a used Pro and then purchase of the LE would probably result in a $2k delta in price.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #2,985 of 4,999
Honestly, I can't really compare these to the Pro. I only heard the Pro on WA-33 and HM1 amps (mostly on the HM1) which isn't really a fair comparison with my amp (Auris Nirvana) as I think the Finals tend to be better on solid state, rather than tube (and HM1 is an insane amplifier). If you already have the Pro and love them, I'm not sure I'd upgrade to the LE, especially given the sale of a used Pro and then purchase of the LE would probably result in a $2k delta in price.
Thank You. Not necessarily helpful but thank You :p

Good to know :) thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back