Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 21, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #1,216 of 4,854
These are my concerns buying d8000 (pro)
- dry sound ( i do have a tube amp that should help)
- not really deep soundstage
- sound has to be turned up for things to come alive like bass
I have a detailed review which addresses the D8000 Pro and compares to the D8000. The burn-in is significant in my opinion and should only be judged after a month or two of solid listening. So you do not have to read my in-depth review I'll summarize my opinion on the points you expressed.

Dry Sound - D8000 Pro is not dry sounding. When the recording allows, it can be very dimensional. But unlike a lot of headphones, the dimensionality can be presented without the unnatural warmth (lushness) that some headphones rely upon for dimensionality.

Soundstage - The width does not seem smaller to me than the D8000 but within the soundstage images are more defined on the pro while the D8000 may portray a slightly larger more diffused sound to instruments and vocals. In my opinion, the difference in soundstage between the Pro and D8000 are not substantial enough to call attention.

Sound has to be turned up - this was definitely true initially but the sound does fill in and now I don't feel that the volume has to be turned up greater than the D8000. I listen at 78db to 85db. Does the Pro have the thump of the D8000? not quite, but the overall bass on the Pro is presented in a more balanced fashion.

I might describe the Pro as top-down and the sound of the original D8000 as bottom up. If you value resolution and reference sound go for the Pro. if you don't mind slightly less quality and tightness in the bass the D8000 will give a slightly more exciting sound for rock. It's a matter of taste. Initially I preferred the original but over time my preference swung to the Pro. also, initially I thought the original had better midrange tonality but this too changed as the Pro broke in. Once burned in the Pro doesn't give up too much to the D8000 but the Pro does offer more clarity, with slightly less lower frequency energy. The Pro's midbass is definitely more balanced and this was important to me. Both headphones are good in a variety of genres, but your taste in genre and your equipment may lead you to prefer one over the other.

Speaking of genres, if your main thing is classical, I think the Abyss 1266 TC might be a better choice if you can afford the additional cost. That said, i do slightly prefer the more natural sounding D8000 Pro overall to the Abyss since classical is not the genre I listen to most.

One other thing - if you do go with the 8000 instead of the Pro, I highly recommend the Sonorous X long thin cable . It adds a bit of treble extension and removes a little bloat from the lower midrange of the D8000. For the Pro, the stock silver colored 1/4 cable is fine. While I am not generally the biggest proponent of cable differences, the Sonorous X definitely offers a subtle change that myself and others perceive.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,217 of 4,854
I have a detailed review which addresses the D8000 Pro and compares to the D8000. The burn-in is significant in my opinion and should only be judged after a month or two of solid listening. So you do not have to read my in-depth review I'll summarize my opinion on the points you expressed.

Dry Sound - D8000 Pro is not dry sounding. When the recording allows, it can be very dimensional. But unlike a lot of headphones, the dimensionality can be presented without the unnatural warmth (lushness) that some headphones rely upon for dimensionality.

Soundstage - The width does not seem smaller to me than the D8000 but within the soundstage images are more defined on the pro while the D8000 may portray a slightly larger more diffused sound to instruments and vocals. In my opinion, the difference in soundstage between the Pro and D8000 are not substantial enough to call attention.

Sound has to be turned up - this was definitely true initially but the sound does fill in and now I don't feel that the volume has to be turned up greater than the D8000. I listen at 78db to 85db. Does the Pro have the thump of the D8000? not quite, but the overall bass on the Pro is presented in a more balanced fashion.

I might describe the Pro as top-down and the sound of the original D8000 as bottom up. If you value resolution and reference sound go for the Pro. if you don't mind slightly less quality and tightness in the bass the D8000 will give a slightly more exciting sound for rock. It's a matter of taste. Initially I preferred the original but over time my preference swung to the Pro. also, initially I thought the original had better midrange tonality but this too changed as the Pro broke in. Once burned in the Pro doesn't give up too much to the D8000 but the Pro does offer more clarity, with slightly less lower frequency energy. The Pro's midbass is definitely more balanced and this was important to me. Both headphones are good in a variety of genres, but your taste in genre and your equipment may lead you to prefer one over the other.

Speaking of genres, if your main thing is classical, I think the Abyss 1266 TC might be a better choice if you can afford the additional cost. That said, i do slightly prefer the more natural sounding D8000 Pro overall to the Abyss since classical is not the genre I listen to most.

One other thing - if you do go with the 8000 instead of the Pro, I highly recommend the Sonorous X long thin cable . It adds a bit of treble extension and removes a little bloat from the lower midrange of the D8000. For the Pro, the stock silver colored 1/4 cable is fine. While I am not generally the biggest proponent of cable differences, the Sonorous X definitely offers a subtle change that myself and others perceive.

Thank you for detailed impressions. I'm looking for the top headphone for electronica (not the only thing I listen to but have other phone that satisfy me) , whether it be drum & bass and other higher energy types or ambient. Listen to headphones mainly lying on the bed facing the ceiling. Abyss Ive been told may be the best except for their finicky comfort. Susvara could be second close, but dynamics may be suspect (synergy with amp seems crucial) and then there's Final Audio...

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,219 of 4,854
In monday i will compare my D8000 to Pro on my Morpheus+Niimbus combo :)
But Pro will be almost new.
Nice combo! I am currently demoing this humble setup:
IMAGE_09.JPG

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,221 of 4,854
It still should sound fantastic with D8000!
Both are demos for me, but I have been test driving the V380 for a couple of weeks now and it is very good. I can also use anything with it from super sensitive IEMs to my HD650. Highly versatile DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp!

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,222 of 4,854
Listen to headphones mainly lying on the bed facing the ceiling.
That's my preferred way of listening to my music also.
Abyss wouldn't work in this position, as the seal must be perfect and I can't see how you would be able to get such a perfect fit with these headphones while lying in bed.
So here come the D8000 pro, for me the perfect headphones.

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #1,224 of 4,854
The first 2 hours with the D8000 Pro on Niimbus (previously I listened to them on the Kann Cube in the audio store). They are brilliant! They do not have less bass than my D8000 and even I think it is of better quality. The midrange is more resolved, you hear more detail. The treble is definitely a shelf higher than the D8000, it is less metallic and more natural, also more resolving and detailed. Tembr D8000 Pro also seems better to me. They seem more energetic and engaging to me. I listen them with my Wireworld Platinum Eclipse cable.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #1,225 of 4,854
After trying out both headphones for a few days. I've come the the conclusion that Pro version is not an upgrade to the base version. It's rather a side grade with a different tuning. D8000's sound is dark warm and thundering bass, instrument separation is quite good but no on par with HD800. Pro version is definitely brighter, more enclosed soundstage but the vocal are more pronounced. The treble response is better than D8000 but bass is less but just as well defined as its base version.

D8000 VS D8000 Pro
Sound signature: Dark VS. Neutral;
Soundstage: Spacious Vs. Intimate
Bass: D8000 has more bass but Pro version has enough for most genres
Mids: Similar
Tremble: D8000 Pro has a slight edge on this one
Vocal: D8000's vocal blends in with the instruments; D8000 Pro's vocal are more upfront

In conclusion, both units are great. There is not definite winner in this one. It's really up to your personal taste of music. I'm feeding them with Schiit Bifrost and Topping A90

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,226 of 4,854
Thank you for detailed impressions. I'm looking for the top headphone for electronica (not the only thing I listen to but have other phone that satisfy me) , whether it be drum & bass and other higher energy types or ambient. Listen to headphones mainly lying on the bed facing the ceiling. Abyss Ive been told may be the best except for their finicky comfort. Susvara could be second close, but dynamics may be suspect (synergy with amp seems crucial) and then there's Final Audio...
As much as I am a fan of the the Finals, your requirement that you would like to listen while laying down may be a show stopper. While the headphones and their weight are not uncomfortable when listening upright, I think they might be a touch heavy to stay on your ears properly when lying down. And even if they do initially, over time the clamping force and pads may change enough that it would become a problem. Trying to think of a headphone I would recommend in that circumstance; I don't have an immediate answer cause in my book very few match the quality of the D8000 / Pro. Also, if you decide on a Final, I think the D8000 may be better than the D8000 Pro for you with electronica so long as you have an amp that controls the drivers well, are okay with a very slight warmth (but I wouldn't personally label as dark), and so long as you prefer some thump as opposed to a leaner more reference bass.- that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,227 of 4,854
To be honest I don’t have any issue in listening to the D8Kpro while lying in bed, I often do it to fall asleep. They are also very easy to drive so you can plug them into a portable source (I use a Hugo2) or an iPhone (blasphemy but the sound quality is not really miles away off). You certainly can’t do that with the Abyss, unless you are considering the Diana.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #1,229 of 4,854
in response to @branislav I thought about it some more and I actually do have a recommendation. The Brainwavz Alara. I use the Pu leather pads that come with it. I also use a better cable. I see others' responses that the D8000/Pro would be fine to use while laying down. Everyone is different and head-size and other factors play a role so I do not doubt their viewpoints. I personally would not use the Finals laying down. It would not work for me. @branislav would have to experience it to say for sure. The Brainwavz Alara, in my opinion, is an excellent ribbon, is lighter than the Final and has more clamping force. It does not fall off my head when I tilt my head back. I compared it on dance music to my D8000 and I am not claiming it matches on all the technicals, but tonality, clarity and thump and openess and a myriad of other factors? it comes darn close. is soundstage going to compete with something like Susvara? No. So if someone is looking for the best in the world? well, probably not the Alara. But it is competitive with many flagships in my opinion, and it is enjoyable, and relatively reasonably priced at less than $500. Would I take it over the Finals for my purposes? I would not, but I would take it over many other flagships. Anyway, I am sure I may lose credibility with some for recommending it, but I certainly recommend it as an alternative for listening to electronica and dance music when lying down. Incidentally, I also love the way it does piano. It is not a one-trick pony.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,230 of 4,854
To be honest I don’t have any issue in listening to the D8Kpro while lying in bed, I often do it to fall asleep. They are also very easy to drive so you can plug them into a portable source (I use a Hugo2) or an iPhone (blasphemy but the sound quality is not really miles away off). You certainly can’t do that with the Abyss, unless you are considering the Diana.
You can't do it with Abyss - drive them with an Iphone or listen while laying in bed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back