Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,201 of 4,821
Am I the only who thinks d8000 sounds better than the pro? Just listened a pro today. Pro sounds brighter and slightly better treble response. But the thundering bass is gone, the soundstage is noticeably smaller. The best way I can put it is its base version sounds dark, deep and warm, the pro version sounds clean bright and intimate. Between these two, the base is my preferred soind
Just eq the pro and you have both headphones in one.

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,203 of 4,821
Would you mind sharing your eq values, so I can experiment a bit?
Well a burr brown dac helps , a strong amp , then just raise a bit the bass on the left of the eq graph.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #1,204 of 4,821
Am I the only who thinks d8000 sounds better than the pro? Just listened a pro today. Pro sounds brighter and slightly better treble response. But the thundering bass is gone, the soundstage is noticeably smaller. The best way I can put it is its base version sounds dark, deep and warm, the pro version sounds clean bright and intimate. Between these two, the base is my preferred soind
No I remember reading similar impressions from others as well

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #1,205 of 4,821
For me Pro sound cleaner, have better resolution, highs have better quality and soundstage is simillar.
I compare it with D8000 on Kann Cube.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #1,207 of 4,821
Feb 16, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #1,208 of 4,821
I agree that the soundstage on the D8000pro is on the narrower side of things. Or at least the layering is not as wide. This is compared to an Arya for instance which is extremely wide and textured. Having said that I find it “correct”. When listening to an orchestra for example (I like the Elgar cello concerto performed by Mischa Maisky as an indication) the feeling is of listening from the gallery of a concert hall, with clear left and right definition but not extreme movement. The D8000 is pretty much the same; what is different is the tone, which on the standard version is much warmer and bassier. The Pro version is, to my ears, a lot more like a reference tone but still retains substantial amount of bass and slam. This certainly not a thin sounding headphone. As a dac/amp I am using Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #1,209 of 4,821
I agree that the soundstage on the D8000pro is on the narrower side of things. Or at least the layering is not as wide. This is compared to an Arya for instance which is extremely wide and textured. Having said that I find it “correct”. When listening to an orchestra for example (I like the Elgar cello concerto performed by Mischa Maisky as an indication) the feeling is of listening from the gallery of a concert hall, with clear left and right definition but not extreme movement. The D8000 is pretty much the same; what is different is the tone, which on the standard version is much warmer and bassier. The Pro version is, to my ears, a lot more like a reference tone but still retains substantial amount of bass and slam. This certainly not a thin sounding headphone. As a dac/amp I am using Hugo 2.
The original D8000, which I have, has gone through major changes in sound signature along the way. Firstly, I thought the soundstages was distant. Especially voices was not placed/or so pronounced as I was used to and preferred. (mention I have always been a big Grado fan, liking their speed and live feeling and having had their top-of-the line cans). Changing cables to Final OFC xlr was the first move in right direction. Snappier and more extended. Changing from solid state Violectric v281 to Rogue RH-5 (hybrid) was even better. Air, bigger soundstage, liquid sound...more so with Mullard tubes. Everything came alive and voices also narrower. Almost there. Went along with ”better then average” main cables and balanced signal cables from Vertere. Have tried ZMF Verité open
just to feel if dynamic drivers still where the way to go...but no. not anymore. Soundstage, tonal correctness, -I have it all. Music comes by so autentic I’m almost speachless...

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,210 of 4,821
Having not read through all 1200+ posts, is there a consensus on the best balanced cable upgrade?
I recently got an amp with an XLR output and would like to try it out for an sq improvement.

The main options at 3m length seem to be the Tonecraft for $380 or the official Final silver for $780

Are there any other options? Do they offer a significant enough upgrade over the stock sound to be worth the significant price?

I have the non-pro version and use them primarily for electronic.

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,212 of 4,821
Having not read through all 1200+ posts, is there a consensus on the best balanced cable upgrade?
I recently got an amp with an XLR output and would like to try it out for an sq improvement.

The main options at 3m length seem to be the Tonecraft for $380 or the official Final silver for $780

Are there any other options? Do they offer a significant enough upgrade over the stock sound to be worth the significant price?

I have the non-pro version and use them primarily for electronic.

You can expect more volume from the amp but not better sound. Obviously, it really depends on the amp as potentially you could get some better noise insulation. I wouldn’t personally invest in the upgrade unless you are willing to shell out a very substantial amount of money and getting the Final silver cable. I am running them single ended and the difference between the stock black cable and the silver cable is perceptible but very, very small.

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #1,213 of 4,821
You can expect more volume from the amp but not better sound. Obviously, it really depends on the amp as potentially you could get some better noise insulation. I wouldn’t personally invest in the upgrade unless you are willing to shell out a very substantial amount of money and getting the Final silver cable. I am running them single ended and the difference between the stock black cable and the silver cable is perceptible but very, very small.
I tried Nordost Heimdall 2 XLR 4 pin with D8000 Pro for about 1 month but finally I go back to the original stock cable single end . The Nordost not help to improved anything and it a little too bright. Also I did tried some copper DIY China made cable and it be coming lose details and dim. Also I did order the original stock cable with XLR 4 pin from Final Audio, ha..ha. not made too much different, well....may be a little bit on the width of stage. Meanwhile, I stick with my long heavy stock cable only.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,214 of 4,821
I tried Nordost Heimdall 2 XLR 4 pin with D8000 Pro for about 1 month but finally I go back to the original stock cable single end . The Nordost not help to improved anything and it a little too bright. Also I did tried some copper DIY China made cable and it be coming lose details and dim. Also I did order the original stock cable with XLR 4 pin from Final Audio, ha..ha. not made too much different, well....may be a little bit on the width of stage. Meanwhile, I stick with my long heavy stock cable only.
Final audio XLR cable shouldn't change the sound much from stock silver cable the point is some amps sound better balanced or vice versa, I purchased the final audio silver cable in xlr because I wanted a shorter cable with balance and I wanted to keep the house sound as close as possible.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,215 of 4,821
What's really puzzling is that a headphone in this price range didn't even come with a balanced cable when you buy it. I guess its maker intended to have it to be enjoyed unbalanced?
Maybe Final are thinking that none of their customers are foolish enough to run their cables through a rock concert before they reach their headphones? Because if they do..they’ll probably need a balanced connection. Otherwise it’s the same sound as SE:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back