Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 17, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #1,336 of 4,847
How many hours on yours ? Because I notice you also have or have had the Meze Empyrean. I also had them & TBH in my system and music I think the Meze was a little bit harsher at certain freq. and on brighter recorded music than the D8000 Pro.

Mine have just clicked over 100 hours use and I’m running a Chord Qutest and GSX Mini. Apart from the desire for a wee bit more bass (which may come with more hours) the D8000 Pro is so much than the Meze for my needs.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,337 of 4,847
When listening to my d8000 pro, I get fatigued sometimes with sounds like high pitch violin and certain vocals. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, if it smoothes out over time. Thinking about getting a tube amp (considering Auris Euterpe). Currently mainly using Fiio M15

I'm listening at normal volumes and I haven't had this issue before.

Would appreciate any suggestions on amp/dac pairing for this issue or anything else.
I had this issue when using with a FiiO q5s, issue went away when I switched to a Chord Hugo 2

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #1,338 of 4,847
Hi all, does anyone know what sort of amps are usually recommended for the D8000? I currently have an RME ADI-2, Bryston BHA-1, and a Topping A90. Just wondering if there are any amps (preferably solid-state) out there that are known to synergize well with the D8000? Thanks.
I used the d8000 pro the following: IFI IDSD signature, Hugo 2, SMSL SP200, FiiO Q5s, Burson Conductor 3x, iPhone dongle, Xi Audio Formula S. My honest feedback is that the D8000pro are not really very amp dependant. My favourite combination is just straight out of the Hugo 2, surprisingly they sound great even using the iPhone dongle. I had a bit of fatigue with the FiiO Q5S. With the most expensive of the bunch, Formula S, I couldn't really find much difference other than losing a tad of resolution (most because all my other sources are dad/amps combo). If I were you I wouldn't buy an amp for these as likely they will sound the best out the RME you own.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #1,340 of 4,847
I have received D8000 Pro and have listened to various albums for around 4 hours or so. Initially I was a underwhelmed, and in side by side comparisons to my HD800S I went with the Sennheiser's each time. I preferred the wider soundstage and the overall crispness of the HD800S. Today I am enjoying the Finals a lot more, they are warmer sounding than the HD800S. I am listening to them via a Sennheiser HDV820, I have also tried my Astell & Kern SP1000 which is capable of driving the Finals but without the same authority that the HDV820 stamps on them. At this point, I am questionable as to whether or not I will keep these, as at the moment I am not seeing the vast price difference be reflected in sound quality to my ears. I have also got Focal Utopia's on order so will withhold final verdict until I can compare each.
For me the D8000 (and D8000 Pro) took a while to burn in. In fact, the D8000 Pro took longer than the D8000 and the change in sound was more substantial (and more needed) for the D8000 Pro. I think a couple of hundred hours to ultimately settle, but the first hundred were substantial. Initially, the D8K Pro bass was anemic, the upper mids/lower treble was bright, bleached, and a little harsh. I felt the midrange was missing some meat. All of this changed for me. But I wonder, did you try the original D8000? Perhaps that might be more to your liking as it is vibrant, more aggressive, slightly warmer - a little less reference though. Some also comment the D8000 has a wider soundstage than the Pro, but I am not totally sure I agree.

I own the HD800S. It's very nice but I prefer the tonal balance of the Final Audio. I must say though, the HD800S I liked a lot when paired with a tube like the Manley. I thought it made the HD800S more competitive.

For years the Utopia was my favorite headphone. I like the soundstage of the D8000 substantially more as the Utopia is more narrow. I also found the Utopia to lack thump and be a touch bright in the upper midrange compared to the D8000. Compared to the D8000 Pro, the thump of the Utopia is probably about even but I still prefer the tonal balance and soundstage of the D8000 Pro to the Utopia, overall.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,341 of 4,847
For me the D8000 (and D8000 Pro) took a while to burn in. In fact, the D8000 Pro took longer than the D8000 and the change in sound was more substantial (and more needed) for the D8000 Pro. I think a couple of hundred hours to ultimately settle, but the first hundred were substantial. Initially, the D8K Pro bass was anemic, the upper mids/lower treble was bright, bleached, and a little harsh. I felt the midrange was missing some meat. All of this changed for me. But I wonder, did you try the original D8000? Perhaps that might be more to your liking as it is vibrant, more aggressive, slightly warmer - a little less reference though. Some also comment the D8000 has a wider soundstage than the Pro, but I am not totally sure I agree.

I own the HD800S. It's very nice but I prefer the tonal balance of the Final Audio. I must say though, the HD800S I liked a lot when paired with a tube like the Manley. I thought it made the HD800S more competitive.

For years the Utopia was my favorite headphone. I like the soundstage of the D8000 substantially more as the Utopia is more narrow. I also found the Utopia to lack thump and be a touch bright in the upper midrange compared to the D8000. Compared to the D8000 Pro, the thump of the Utopia is probably about even but I still prefer the tonal balance and soundstage of the D8000 Pro to the Utopia, overall.
How would you compare detail/resolution of the D8000 and D8000pro? Thanks

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #1,343 of 4,847
I used the d8000 pro the following: IFI IDSD signature, Hugo 2, SMSL SP200, FiiO Q5s, Burson Conductor 3x, iPhone dongle, Xi Audio Formula S. My honest feedback is that the D8000pro are not really very amp dependant. My favourite combination is just straight out of the Hugo 2, surprisingly they sound great even using the iPhone dongle. I had a bit of fatigue with the FiiO Q5S. With the most expensive of the bunch, Formula S, I couldn't really find much difference other than losing a tad of resolution (most because all my other sources are dad/amps combo). If I were you I wouldn't buy an amp for these as likely they will sound the best out the RME you own.
You listening to Celine Dion kind of music ?

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #1,344 of 4,847
Compared to the Empyrean and Audeze LCD-4(z) where would you guys position the D8000(pro) on a scale from 1 to 10 where one is absolutely analytical (coldish but detailed) and 10 is absolutely musical (warmish but less detailed).
On this scale I would position the Empyrean as 7 and the LCD4 as 5.

My guess is that perhaps the D8000 is 6 and the D8000pro might be 3. Do you think this would be more or less correct?

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #1,347 of 4,847
Well, I'm listening right now to an absolutely musical D8000 Pro :kissing_smiling_eyes:

20210415_032217.jpg

1618796538473.png

DX300 as streamer > Audio-GD dual WM8741 dac @ 35/70 volume > Pro iCan in Tube+ mode using XLR HO, zero gain / pot at one o'clock

Front row bliss

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #1,349 of 4,847
Not too shabby yourself! Should be quite a happy pair up with the Burson.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #1,350 of 4,847
How would you compare detail/resolution of the D8000 and D8000pro? Thanks
both are excellent but because the Pro tends to be slightly tighter and more balanced in the midbass I would give the edge to the Pro. That said, resolution and clarity are important to me, but the two are close enough that I would probably opt for whichever had the more pleasing frequency response for the type of music I listen to rather than basing my decision on resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back