Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 19, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,351 of 4,809
Compared to the Empyrean and Audeze LCD-4(z) where would you guys position the D8000(pro) on a scale from 1 to 10 where one is absolutely analytical (coldish but detailed) and 10 is absolutely musical (warmish but less detailed).
On this scale I would position the Empyrean as 7 and the LCD4 as 5.

My guess is that perhaps the D8000 is 6 and the D8000pro might be 3. Do you think this would be more or less correct?
kind of hard to assign numbers on scale of 1 to 10 for me but I will try:
  • 2 - d8000 pro - pretty neutral, technically excellent, hint of musicality
  • 6 - d8000 - powerful sounding, vibrant, more rounded sounding than d8000 pro, slight warmth
  • 9 - empyrean - warm, more romantic midrange, midbass hump, rolled off treble, not closed sounding, but much less clarity and resolution than either Final
Audeze - I have many, but not the LCD-4 so no comment other than to say I typically find Audezes to be more relaxed in upper mids, rolled off in treble, slightly emphasized warmth in lower midrange; lacks resolution - but again that's based upon LCD-2, LCD-X, and LCD-3 listening experience

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,352 of 4,809
So I upgraded the cable from Final audio to the 4 pin XLR, and I feel like it def. made a difference. Sounds feel much fuller and bass seems a bit refine. Not a pro on this, but i def. notice a difference from switching from their stock 1/4" cable to XLR with the Burson Conductor 3x reference DAC/AMP

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,353 of 4,809
So I upgraded the cable from Final audio to the 4 pin XLR, and I feel like it def. made a difference. Sounds feel much fuller and bass seems a bit refine. Not a pro on this, but i def. notice a difference from switching from their stock 1/4" cable to XLR with the Burson Conductor 3x reference DAC/AMP
What cable did you get? I've got the ones coming with Pro but I might try XLR and the one I own right now doesn't fit at all

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,354 of 4,809
What cable did you get? I've got the ones coming with Pro but I might try XLR and the one I own right now doesn't fit at all

Final Audio actually makes one, but I have no idea why they did not include it in with the headphones.... I bought the stock cable from Final that is XLR.

https://audio46.com/products/final-...ble-for-sonorous-d8000?variant=18645158985843

I got mine from Ebay though from another vendor, 3.0m for $600 shipped. I reached out to other places that make custom ones, etc... and the quote was similar for the XLR cable. Plussound can make it, they supposedly have the final audio connectors they got directly from them. I figured if I am going to pay a lot... I might as well get the silver cable from Final.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #1,355 of 4,809
I own the D8000 and D8000 Pro but never tried it with a balanced cable. Any chance the difference in sound you heard could be attributed to the amp or other upstream equipment? Some equipment might sound better in single ended and some may sound better in balanced. I find the Final's are very revealing of equipment. But you know your equipment so if you say the difference was definitely the cable that might sway me to try the XLR out. Did you use the Final Audio XLR cable or some other brand?

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,357 of 4,809
I'm looking for a 3.5mm male-female slim adapter for the D8K Pro so I can use different cables, I've got the Forza but the plug doesn't fit at all, if you could help me out I'd really appreciate it :D

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,358 of 4,809
Apr 29, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,359 of 4,809
This 8K Pro is growing on me everyday, with the right amount of EQ for bass and mids it becomes perfection. Soundstage is perfect to me as well, the right amount of it depending on the song and lots of air. When I go back to Clear feels pity :frowning2:... And somehow it loves tubes... Simply wonderful

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #1,361 of 4,809
Good looking little critter, just went to have a look ^^

I keep in mind comments about tube rolling the Pro iCan, but on stock GE I love it. So +1 on tubes with the D8000P. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #1,362 of 4,809
Listening to some classic, D8000 Pro, with Burson Conductor 3x Reference Dac/Amp -- Waiting for new cable to come in, instead of the 1/4" getting the XLR cable.
Beautiful setup!! congratulations. What speakers are those??? seen them a few times now, really neat design. They come with a Subwoofer?? thanks.

May 3, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,364 of 4,809
This D8K Pro surprises me everyday... How come it sounds so much musical and fun out of a Little Dot I+ with Mullard valves and a Burson V5i worth 100€ than Valhalla 2 or Jotunheim 2?

Amazing, anyone tried the D8000 with Burson Soloist 3X?

Thanks!

May 3, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,365 of 4,809
This D8K Pro surprises me everyday... How come it sounds so much musical and fun out of a Little Dot I+ with Mullard valves and a Burson V5i worth 100€ than Valhalla 2 or Jotunheim 2?

Amazing, anyone tried the D8000 with Burson Soloist 3X?

Thanks!
I've tried the Burson Soloist 3X with my D8Kpro.
Very good !
Exactly like my SP200
Or my Shiit Magnius...
In fact, with these incredible D8KPro, only the tube amp xDuoo TA-30 shows some very slight (and delicious) difference. The ss amps are too close of each other to justify the expense.
The D8Kpro is almost "amp insensistive" !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back