Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 2, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #797 of 4,885
I just received the Pro Edition of the D8000 and published our early thoughts. At first, I thought the differences might be subtle but they are anything but and an easy A/B. hard to know which one I like best at this early stage. There could well be usage scenarios for each one.

https://headfonics.com/2020/05/final-d8000-pro-first-contact/

1588416756092.png

May 14, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #800 of 4,885
May 15, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #804 of 4,885
I wonder why the D8000 Pro is not more popular. They're quite good. On SQ I'd put them a touch behind Susvara and TC, but comfortably ahead of Utopia, LCD4, Empyrean, Verite, etc...

Yes, I sold my Utopia a while later after I bought the D8000, much better sound to my ears.

May 15, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #805 of 4,885
I wonder why the D8000 Pro is not more popular. They're quite good. On SQ I'd put them a touch behind Susvara and TC, but comfortably ahead of Utopia, LCD4, Empyrean, Verite, etc...

Probably the lesser distribution and availability. Mind you, the Empy's aren't super well distributed either. D8000 pro or not both seem to be reviewer favourites so it is peculiar

May 26, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #806 of 4,885
Hello Everyone.

I have had a D8000 for a month now, doing low level listening duties along with a pair of Grado GS3000e. Loving them both atm. I was very surprised at how good the D8000 are at low level. It has crystal clear clarity along with the whopping bass when needed. Best planer i have ever tried for low level listening.

My questions are

1) Are the D8000 pro better at low level listening? I have just read that they are better than the D8000 in general, but what about low level?
2) How do I stretch the headband for better comfort? I tried pulling the headphones by the cup, but the steel handband has a strong memory and it goes back to heavy clamp quickly. I am afraid to do any strenuous manipulation in case of damage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

May 26, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #807 of 4,885
Hello Everyone.

I have had a D8000 for a month now, doing low level listening duties along with a pair of Grado GS3000e. Loving them both atm. I was very surprised at how good the D8000 are at low level. It has crystal clear clarity along with the whopping bass when needed. Best planer i have ever tried for low level listening.

My questions are

1) Are the D8000 pro better at low level listening? I have just read that they are better than the D8000 in general, but what about low level?
2) How do I stretch the headband for better comfort? I tried pulling the headphones by the cup, but the steel handband has a strong memory and it goes back to heavy clamp quickly. I am afraid to do any strenuous manipulation in case of damage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

As someone who owns the D8000 and reviewed the Pro version in a comparison, I wouldn’t characterize the Pro as better, but different. The reason for the $500 difference in retail is due to the inclusion of the final Silver OFC cable with the Pro. As an aside, I do strongly recommend the Silver cable since it does improve the sound noticeably, in my view.

As many know, the D8000 was not designed for heavy bass music played at loud levels since the drivers hit the magnets causing distortion. The Pro was introduced to remedy this situation, especially for sound engineers, hence the Pro nomenclature. Final changed the tuning with the Pro where the midrange was bumped up in order to increase the perceived loudness of play thus reducing the incident of the drivers hitting the magnets with bassy music, and if you’d like a more prominent midrange, then you should consider the Pro.

As to your comment about the D8000 sounding great at low volume levels, I fully agree. The Pro sounds great at low levels too.

May 30, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #810 of 4,885
Hi,

i hope everyone is safe.

I just wanted to ask has anyone of you experienced that the slider is being loose? i have seen one Youtube video showing that a little bit of shake the driver itself slides down.

Thank you.

Whill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back