Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 8, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #61 of 4,817
How is the comfort? I think they are over 500 grams, which is close to being too heavy, but it's all about weight distribution and pad/headband design.

They are a little on the heavier side, but comfort if subjective to all users. I personally would prefer a little more padding on the headband, but this is an easy fix with a pad from eBay of similar :D

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #64 of 4,817
Sounds weird but I sometimes prefer a thinner headband - depending on the amount and density, extra padding can feel more obtrusive and annoying. Comfort level can be more a function of ear cup design and the feel of the ear pads than anything else.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #65 of 4,817
@Oscar-HiFi Just one last question sir, which are the ear cavity dimensions of the ear pads?

About 55mm wide, about 20mm deep. The seem small, but taper inside to be wider so no fit issues for anyone here in the office. The foam is quite dense, so they don't compress to allow your ears to touch the driver :D

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #68 of 4,817
How is the comfort? I think they are over 500 grams, which is close to being too heavy, but it's all about weight distribution and pad/headband design.

Those I tested didn't have the supreme confort of my two pairs Sonorous X, nor of my Sonorous VIII, but I still found them very comfortable.

I haven't yet managed to write an extensive review of all HPs I tested at this event :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphone-heaven-event-at-rotterdam-oct-07-2017-impressions.863924/

So in the meantime a few points I found important:

- unlike usual products by Final, they required quite some power: I had to listen at a loud level at an event, and I had to push my Mojo very far (glad I hadn't taken my AK240, I fear my AK240 unlike my Mojo would not have had enough power to drive them loud)

- bass went very deep and remained strong all the way (better than LCD-X)

- trebble is very good

- but the trebble was overemphasized unlike typical Final products and they were bright

- they may have more punch than other planars I own, but I am not quite sure given the circumstances where I tested them.

I hopefully will write more at the event thread.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #69 of 4,817
Final D8000 video coming soon :wink: hopefully next week. I think you'll all find it an interesting watch.

Also @bidn I didn't find them to be bright at all, actually they are nicely balanced with good body and warmth to the sound. This is likely because of the noisy environment, the background noise will make you hear less bass.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #70 of 4,817
Final D8000 video coming soon :wink: hopefully next week. I think you'll all find it an interesting watch.

Also @bidn I didn't find them to be bright at all, actually they are nicely balanced with good body and warmth to the sound. This is likely because of the noisy environment, the background noise will make you hear less bass.

Oscar-HiFi,

I am looking towards your video .

Re. the perception of brightness,
you are making a good point about the ambiant loud noise.
However, I didn't find the other open headphones, except to a lesser extent the HD 800S, I tested at the event to be bright,
but this may be related to the different kinds of music: with the other open headphones, I had no possibility to play metal music ,
while I was allowed to connect the D8000 to my own device and I tested them with tracks of several metal genres.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #71 of 4,817
I agree with Oscur, I didn't feel like these were bright at all, and I heard them at a show as well. Then again, my favorite headphone I own is the 800S, and I like the brightness on those; so YMMV I guess. Also they do have a nice punch to them for sure! Hopefully you get a chance to hear them in a quiet environment, they're pretty fantastic imo.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #72 of 4,817
Thank you, Oscar-Hifi and bronco1015,
your replies are good to hear.

But have you, like me, tested them with metal,
(which is very sensitive to high trebble)?

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #73 of 4,817
Thank you, Oscar-Hifi and bronco1015,
your replies are good to hear.

But have you, like me, tested them with metal,
(which is very sensitive to high trebble)?

I listen pretty much exclusively to rock music, Slipknot - Duality is one of the first tracks I tested them with and they sounded simply sublime :D so so good

I then put on some Martyr Defiled too just for good measure, and wow they separate everything so precisely yet not clinically. Excellent impact and extension on both ends.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #74 of 4,817
As far as metal goes, I listened to a handful of between the buried and me tracks as well as one track from Rings of Saturn, and some Devin Townsend Project as well. wish i'd been able to listen to mor, but got a lot of different genres in all things considered. hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back