Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 4, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,461 of 4,849
Thanks for the feedback. I think that you are totally right, the Finals got more than enough detail to sacrifice a little bit in exchange for some tube warmth.
The W8 looks amazing but I think I'll go with a desktop one instead of a portable.
That's right - a little sacrifice of detail for musicality is a good trade.

I also imagine either LTA MZ2 or Pathos Aurium would be a good fit for the budget you mentioned.

May 4, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #2,463 of 4,849
Several points about amping the D8000:

OTL (output transformerless) tube amps work just fine with the D8000, as with pretty much any planar. Reasons for that are technical. But if you happen to own any high impedance headphones AND a D8000, you would probably love the sound you'd get on all of them from an OTL tube amp (mine is the Woo WA3)

I have 5 or 6 SS amps, and I find the presentation and sound profile of the D8000 changes somewhat depending on amp. That is to say, the basic sound profile is the same, but the degree to which this or that frequency range jumps out at me is somewhat different on different amps:
  1. Until recently, the best sound I got on the D8000 was the Monoprice Liquid Gold X, an amp said to really kill w/planars (truth). This sound included the high resolution, slight warmth, and overall musicality I love about this headphone. The upper mids and treble don't sound sharp or elevated: they sound accurate, detailed, and information-rich
  2. But with the very nice sounding Cavalli Liquid Gold X, the overall sound is a bit warmer and the upper mids & low treble are somewhat smoothed (still a lovely sound, just different)
  3. Last week I tried the D8000 on my newest/most powerful amp, the Kinki Studio Vision THR-1. It was a near psychedelic experience: the resolution was spectacular & the midrange sounded huge, spacious, and 3D laser-focused. Still musical & slightly warm, but vivid beyond belief (and not peaky/edgy/fatiguing). Easily the best sound I ever got from this HP
  4. By contrast, my long-time favorite/best amp for nearly all headphones, the V281, sounded good but not exceptional with the D8000. Can't figure that out, but then again, I really don't need to understand (just listen).
So IMO you needn't abandon SS amps to get great sound from this headphone.

May 4, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #2,464 of 4,849
Several points about amping the D8000:

OTL (output transformerless) tube amps work just fine with the D8000, as with pretty much any planar. Reasons for that are technical. But if you happen to own any high impedance headphones AND a D8000, you would probably love the sound you'd get on all of them from an OTL tube amp (mine is the Woo WA3)

I have 5 or 6 SS amps, and I find the presentation and sound profile of the D8000 changes somewhat depending on amp. That is to say, the basic sound profile is the same, but the degree to which this or that frequency range jumps out at me is somewhat different on different amps:
  1. Until recently, the best sound I got on the D8000 was the Monoprice Liquid Gold X, an amp said to really kill w/planars (truth). This sound included the high resolution, slight warmth, and overall musicality I love about this headphone. The upper mids and treble don't sound sharp or elevated: they sound accurate, detailed, and information-rich
  2. But with the very nice sounding Cavalli Liquid Gold X, the overall sound is a bit warmer and the upper mids & low treble are somewhat smoothed (still a lovely sound, just different)
  3. Last week I tried the D8000 on my newest/most powerful amp, the Kinki Studio Vision THR-1. It was a near psychedelic experience: the resolution was spectacular & the midrange sounded huge, spacious, and 3D laser-focused. Still musical & slightly warm, but vivid beyond belief (and not peaky/edgy/fatiguing). Easily the best sound I ever got from this HP
  4. By contrast, my long-time favorite/best amp for nearly all headphones, the V281, sounded good but not exceptional with the D8000. Can't figure that out, but then again, I really don't need to understand (just listen).
So IMO you needn't abandon SS amps to get great sound from this headphone.
Thanks, nicely put.

I would actually consider myself an SS guy above all else. I prefer a very resolving and linear presentation, and I usually don't really like tube amps (aside from LTA). The Bakoon HPA-21, which I have as my main SS amp (and which is designed for planar headphones), certainly does that - it's very precise, hyper-fast, and ultra revealing. With my Kennerton Rognir, it's the best combo I've heard in any set-up.

It also works very well with the D8000 Pro. However, it's more picky than the Rognir in terms of genres. On the WA8, the D8000 Pro seems to have a more effortless presentation possibly because it's less revealing. But also because the WA8 seems to introduce a little more "wetness." Sub-bass is especially more dynamic and textured.

Anyway, good to hear about the Kinki. Read about a few times, seems interesting. Fairly priced, that's for sure.

May 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #2,465 of 4,849
I would actually consider myself an SS guy above all else.
Exactly right. So am I.

I've heard any number of big, expensive OTL & transformer coupled amps at shows; and had a TC tube amp IMS. They do certain things spectacularly well. But in my experience, between system interface issues, hum, and the need for pricey NOS tubes (often mandatory even on very expensive TOTL tube amps), chasing that magical sound becomes maddening, as well as expensive.

I have so many SS amps because they, too, give different sonic flavors. While they can't match big tube amps in 3D dimensionality & layering, they completely surpass them (generally) in micro- and macro-dynamics, bass reach/impact, and blackness between notes.

As for the Kinki THR-1, it's a fascinating amp. I've been posting about it in the dedicated thread for that amp. It's one of those "when it's good, it's very good" amps--it has striking operational quirks, insane power, and now and then gives me a glimpse of the divine on TOTL headphones. I've had it IMS for >1 month (after extensive burn-in, which in fact may not be completely finished), and I'm still not close to understanding everything it can do.

May 4, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #2,466 of 4,849
That's right - a little sacrifice of detail for musicality is a good trade.

I also imagine either LTA MZ2 or Pathos Aurium would be a good fit for the budget you mentioned.
I like my D8K Pro’s on my MHA200 with stock tubes. The Mullards 6201’s I sometimes use can sound a little to thick in the midrange. The stock tubes are more neutral but still have enough tube flavor.

May 4, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #2,467 of 4,849
Thanks, nicely put.

I would actually consider myself an SS guy above all else. I prefer a very resolving and linear presentation, and I usually don't really like tube amps (aside from LTA). The Bakoon HPA-21, which I have as my main SS amp (and which is designed for planar headphones), certainly does that - it's very precise, hyper-fast, and ultra revealing. With my Kennerton Rognir, it's the best combo I've heard in any set-up.

It also works very well with the D8000 Pro. However, it's more picky than the Rognir in terms of genres. On the WA8, the D8000 Pro seems to have a more effortless presentation possibly because it's less revealing. But also because the WA8 seems to introduce a little more "wetness." Sub-bass is especially more dynamic and textured.

Anyway, good to hear about the Kinki. Read about a few times, seems interesting. Fairly priced, that's for sure.
I'm listening to the D8K Pro's on the WA8 with Mojo 2 as the DAC and can back up your finding about the pairing. The D8K Pro's out of the WA8 is simply spectacular. The sound isn't slow nor is there any lose of the D8K Pro's technical abilities. As a matter of fact the transients are very snappy, the detail and clarity are all there. The WA8 does bass better than a lot of desktop amps I've heard. Fast forward and what the WA8 does to the D8K Pro's bass is jaw dropping. The bass depth, texture, and layering is top flight. Not to mention the impact and bass dynamics I'm hearing. Very impressed by the WA8/Mojo 2 pairing.

May 5, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,468 of 4,849
I'm listening to the D8K Pro's on the WA8 with Mojo 2 as the DAC and can back up your finding about the pairing. The D8K Pro's out of the WA8 is simply spectacular. The sound isn't slow nor is there any lose of the D8K Pro's technical abilities. As a matter of fact the transients are very snappy, the detail and clarity are all there. The WA8 does bass better than a lot of desktop amps I've heard. Fast forward and what the WA8 does to the D8K Pro's bass is jaw dropping. The bass depth, texture, and layering is top flight. Not to mention the impact and bass dynamics I'm hearing. Very impressed by the WA8/Mojo 2 pairing.
Glad you like the pairing! Your account is spot on - it's surprisingly snappy and detailed for a tube amp. I wasn't expecting that. The bass dynamics, texture, and layering are indeed the highlight. I've been listening to the following track this morning, comparing different set-ups, and there's simply no contest; the WA8 and D8K Pro has by far the best synergy for overall dynamics as well as detail. Check it out:

May 5, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #2,469 of 4,849
Glad you like the pairing! Your account is spot on - it's surprisingly snappy and detailed for a tube amp. I wasn't expecting that. The bass dynamics, texture, and layering are indeed the highlight. I've been listening to the following track this morning, comparing different set-ups, and there's simply no contest; the WA8 and D8K Pro has by far the best synergy for overall dynamics as well as detail. Check it out:

I will check it out!

May 5, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,470 of 4,849
The D8000 is quite a warm sounding headphone, and it pairs well with a bright amp like the Soloist GT. Having a grand time with it. :gs1000smile:

IMG_6230.jpeg

May 5, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #2,471 of 4,849
I am yet to come across anything that sounds wrong on D8000

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #2,473 of 4,849

Users who are viewing this thread

Back