Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 2, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #2,491 of 4,851
I'm really excited to join the D8k family soon. I just bought a used pair of D8k and they should arrive start of next week :) .
I can't wait to hear what these will bring to the table. I'm very happy with my ZMF Atrium & VC but I somehow felt, that I also needed a planar headphone in my collection again since I recently sold my Hifiman Arya because they didn't match my sound preference in the end (not enganging enough and sibilant treble). I hope this will change with the D8k. Looking forward to experience the bass everyone is raving about.

Looking forward to try them on different amps. I have an Auris Euterpe and Cayin HA-1A MK2 for tubes and currently a Singxer SA-1. But the Singxer is going to be replaced very soon with a Zähl HM1 - which is also a reason why I was looking for a planar again since I want to see what this amp can do on dynamics and planars.

I'll report back once I receive them:wink:
Don't forget that one way to change the sound of the D8000 is to upgrade to the Pro's "G" pads. I found the changes resulting from that to be relatively subtle, but all in the right direction for me, especially in the bass.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #2,493 of 4,851
Ladies and gentleman, if you're searching for another source for the D8000 Pro, then I can highly recommend the Steam Deck. Great synergy!

P1110404.jpg

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #2,494 of 4,851
Don't forget that one way to change the sound of the D8000 is to upgrade to the Pro's "G" pads. I found the changes resulting from that to be relatively subtle, but all in the right direction for me, especially in the bass.
Just ordered a pair of G type pads :beerchug:

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #2,495 of 4,851
And another needed upgrade is the cable. The FAW Noir Hybrid made wonders on my pair of D8000.
I'm gonna get a custom cable made from https://vikingweavecables.com/ . My connection for everything cables for years. Probably gonna go silver plated copper cable with Furutech connector and even original Final locking 3.5mm connectors.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,496 of 4,851
Soo after spending some time today with the Final D8k I'm ready to share some impression:

Honestly I'm pretty impressed with their sound. They feel like what I always wanted Arya to be. The first attribute that came to mind are that they are very detailed but not harsh in any way. No sibilance - wich was one of the biggest gripes I had with Arya. What's on a completely new level for me are the spatial queues they convey. Especially on live recordings it feels like your in the middle of the crowd - a term I often read and translate to something else since in hardly ever feel like you're really there - But today I had to learn that you can actually feel like being there 🤯. Smallest details just jump out at you without having to search for them. The stage is not wide like Arya but still very satisfying and very well layered and deep. And the imaging and positioning in this space is pin point accurate. Very impressive.
And the great thing is that it does all this while sounding very enganging, fast and dynamic.
Their bass is straight up the best bass I've heard in an over ear headphone and the bass shelf that I normally add for most other headphones isn't needed here. I can see that it might be a bit too much for some but for me it's 👌. And the Bass is very detailed and nuanced with lots of impact. Like combining the best attributes of dynamic and planar bass.

Parings:
I tried them on my SA-1, HA-1A MK2 and Euterpe.
They are very easy to drive but change a lot with the source. My favorite for now is the SA-1 which surprised me since I normally tube everything for quite a while now. But for now I have to say that on the SA-1 they feel the most balanced, smooth and precise. Close second is the Cayin. Also a very fun combo but loosing a bit in low end control and treble detail. The Stage gets even bigger but with a bit less precision. Depending on the genre this can be a valid compromise though. The Euterpe ist my least favorite combo for now since it just can't keep up with the bass since it's pretty rolled off. But I'll try more in the future. For first impressions I mostly used the SA-1 now to get a base line.

Comfort:
I'm pretty surprised. They are not the lightest but very well balanced on the head. No fatigue or hot spots. Honestly I expected worse. Not the biggest fan of the pads but I'll be getting the G type pads from the Pros tomorrow which will have Suede instead of the spandex like material touching the head.

Cons:
Since it's not all roses - there are some things about the tuning one should know about. Vocals and certain instruments can feel a bit distant and subdued. But this is something I knew about before. Some EQ around 3kHz might help with that. And although the timbre for a planar is nice it can't compete with Atrium on that front for example. It just isn't as natural in comparison.

For amazing vocals and midrange I have ZMF and I specifically looked for a planar counterweight for bass, speed and details mostly for electronic music and for now it looks like that's exactly what I'm getting.
Headphone wise I feel like im set for the now with Atrium, VC and D8k I've got pretty much all needs covered.
The interesting question now is what the Zähl HM1 will bring to the table 😈. Since the D8k is so amazing on the SA-1 already I feel I might be in for a treat.

And a note on the price: full retail price I think might be a stretch but with good offers on the used market nearing the 2k$ mark, I think the D8k might have a second spring coming :)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #2,497 of 4,851
I just changed the pads and they are so much better for comport compared to the F type pads. Tonality wise the difference isn't massive but if feel the bass has gotten even more impactful :L3000:

1654773045671.png
1654773051659.png

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #2,498 of 4,851
Soo after spending some time today with the Final D8k I'm ready to share some impression:

Honestly I'm pretty impressed with their sound. They feel like what I always wanted Arya to be. The first attribute that came to mind are that they are very detailed but not harsh in any way. No sibilance - wich was one of the biggest gripes I had with Arya. What's on a completely new level for me are the spatial queues they convey. Especially on live recordings it feels like your in the middle of the crowd - a term I often read and translate to something else since in hardly ever feel like you're really there - But today I had to learn that you can actually feel like being there 🤯. Smallest details just jump out at you without having to search for them. The stage is not wide like Arya but still very satisfying and very well layered and deep. And the imaging and positioning in this space is pin point accurate. Very impressive.
And the great thing is that it does all this while sounding very enganging, fast and dynamic.
Their bass is straight up the best bass I've heard in an over ear headphone and the bass shelf that I normally add for most other headphones isn't needed here. I can see that it might be a bit too much for some but for me it's 👌. And the Bass is very detailed and nuanced with lots of impact. Like combining the best attributes of dynamic and planar bass.

Parings:
I tried them on my SA-1, HA-1A MK2 and Euterpe.
They are very easy to drive but change a lot with the source. My favorite for now is the SA-1 which surprised me since I normally tube everything for quite a while now. But for now I have to say that on the SA-1 they feel the most balanced, smooth and precise. Close second is the Cayin. Also a very fun combo but loosing a bit in low end control and treble detail. The Stage gets even bigger but with a bit less precision. Depending on the genre this can be a valid compromise though. The Euterpe ist my least favorite combo for now since it just can't keep up with the bass since it's pretty rolled off. But I'll try more in the future. For first impressions I mostly used the SA-1 now to get a base line.

Comfort:
I'm pretty surprised. They are not the lightest but very well balanced on the head. No fatigue or hot spots. Honestly I expected worse. Not the biggest fan of the pads but I'll be getting the G type pads from the Pros tomorrow which will have Suede instead of the spandex like material touching the head.

Cons:
Since it's not all roses - there are some things about the tuning one should know about. Vocals and certain instruments can feel a bit distant and subdued. But this is something I knew about before. Some EQ around 3kHz might help with that. And although the timbre for a planar is nice it can't compete with Atrium on that front for example. It just isn't as natural in comparison.

For amazing vocals and midrange I have ZMF and I specifically looked for a planar counterweight for bass, speed and details mostly for electronic music and for now it looks like that's exactly what I'm getting.
Headphone wise I feel like im set for the now with Atrium, VC and D8k I've got pretty much all needs covered.
The interesting question now is what the HM1 will bring to the table 😈. Since the D8k is so amazing on the SA-1 already I feel I might be in for a treat.

And a note on the price: full retail price I think might be a stretch but with good offers on the used market nearing the 2k$ mark, I think the D8k might have a second spring coming :)
Interested in D8K vs Atrium if you have a moment.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #2,499 of 4,851
Interested in D8K vs Atrium if you have a moment.
This might help too, maybe you've already read this but anyway

@Pharmaboy :blue_heart:

COMPARISONS
I spent most of the time listening to the Atrium. But there are two other excellent headphones that IMO it should be compared to:

1 – Final D8000 (with the Pro's "G" earpads)
This very fine open-back planar is the most sonically similar to the Atrium, at least in terms of frequency voicing. And since the Atrium has distinct planar-like sound in certain respects, this strikes me as a natural choice for comparison. I hear some very interesting things when comparing these headphones:
  • The Atrium's soundstaging is qualitatively better than the D8K's, but not by much. The exceptionally anchored and dimensional nature of the Atrium's soundstage takes the day here. Which doesn't change the fact that the D8K has the best soundstage I've ever heard from a planar, and among the best I've heard, period
  • The very high resolution of the D8K slightly pulls ahead of the Atrium. Not a surprise, really: this planar has just about the best resolution I've ever heard, other than the next headphone listed here
  • Comfort-wise the Atrium trounces the D8K. Again, no surprise. Comfort with the D8K is acceptable, but not nearly as evolved with the Atrium
  • Both headphones combine high resolution with a slightly warm, natural musicality (Atrium w/stock pads). This one's a toss-up
The only real surprise here is the bass. As planar-like as the Atrium is, and as good as its bass is, the D8K wins by a nose due to the heavy/weighty feel of its bass notes. Planar bass usually beats dynamic bass, at least for me, and that's the case here. Still, the Atrium comes very close, indeed…

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #2,500 of 4,851

COMPARISONS
I spent most of the time listening to the Atrium. But there are two other excellent headphones that IMO it should be compared to:

This very fine open-back planar is the most sonically similar to the Atrium, at least in terms of frequency voicing. And since the Atrium has distinct planar-like sound in certain respects, this strikes me as a natural choice for comparison. I hear some very interesting things when comparing these headphones:
  • The Atrium's soundstaging is qualitatively better than the D8K's, but not by much. The exceptionally anchored and dimensional nature of the Atrium's soundstage takes the day here. Which doesn't change the fact that the D8K has the best soundstage I've ever heard from a planar, and among the best I've heard, period
  • The very high resolution of the D8K slightly pulls ahead of the Atrium. Not a surprise, really: this planar has just about the best resolution I've ever heard, other than the next headphone listed here
  • Comfort-wise the Atrium trounces the D8K. Again, no surprise. Comfort with the D8K is acceptable, but not nearly as evolved with the Atrium
  • Both headphones combine high resolution with a slightly warm, natural musicality (Atrium w/stock pads). This one's a toss-up
The only real surprise here is the bass. As planar-like as the Atrium is, and as good as its bass is, the D8K wins by a nose due to the heavy/weighty feel of its bass notes. Planar bass usually beats dynamic bass, at least for me, and that's the case here. Still, the Atrium comes very close, indeed…
Thanks, didn't see that, but interesting. Sounds like some degree of overlap.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #2,501 of 4,851

COMPARISONS

What's missing here for me is that the midrange is very different between the two. On Atrium vocals and acoustic instruments are upfront, crystal clear and natural. The D8k on the other hand have the advantage in speed, detail and bass (although in bass they are close) but the midrange takes a step back compared to Atrium. At least in my opinion.

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #2,502 of 4,851
Nice post!

Just wanted to say that my silkwood ZMF Verite Open & Final D8000 w/the "G" pads are easily the best complementary pair of headphones I've ever had:
  • Both are TOTL designs with speed, detail, high resolution, and slight warmth--and no fatigue or unnatural "edge"
  • Both are extremely musical, though in different ways
  • The VO is to my ears the most evolved dynamic driver design ever. For vocals, classical and choral music it transmits the full impact of tone & timbre, revealing all beauty of music. And it's far above average on all other genres I listen to
  • The D8K is to my ears is the most evolved and all-around ideal open-back planar I've heard (I've owned a number of them). That means low distortion, fast rise/fall of notes, and the accurate, pressurized bass experience planars do best
I have two desktop systems, each with a DAC with 2 x RCA output pairs that are connected to 2 different headphone amps. So it's pretty easy for me to hear these headphones on the same music via either DAC. My favorite pairing is VO+Violectric V281 & D8000K+Kinki Studio THR-1 (a spectacular amp for planars)...with the MHDT Labs Orchid NOS DAC.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #2,503 of 4,851
What's missing here for me is that the midrange is very different between the two. On Atrium vocals and acoustic instruments are upfront, crystal clear and natural. The D8k on the other hand have the advantage in speed, detail and bass (although in bass they are close) but the midrange takes a step back compared to Atrium. At least in my opinion.
You'd really enjoy the Solitaire.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #2,504 of 4,851
You'd really enjoy the Solitaire.
Yeah I've heard great things about the Solitaire P but they are out of the price range I'm able and wanting to spend currently. I jumped at the D8k because I was able to get a really good deal locally for an almost new pair. And for now they seem to be exactly what I wanted to have in my collection next to my Atrium and VC. Let's see what the future will bring but at the moment I'm really happy with my collection and I could only think of very few headphones that might fit my sound preference and be an upgrade over the ones I have now but they all get uber expensive like the Solitaire P for example. Next up will first be the Zähl HM1 amp that I've ordered and once that arrives the plan is to calm down a bit on getting new stuff in and enjoy the setup I have for a while.

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #2,505 of 4,851
Yeah I've heard great things about the Solitaire P but they are out of the price range I'm able and wanting to spend currently. I jumped at the D8k because I was able to get a really good deal locally for an almost new pair. And for now they seem to be exactly what I wanted to have in my collection next to my Atrium and VC. Let's see what the future will bring but at the moment I'm really happy with my collection and I could only think of very few headphones that might fit my sound preference and be an upgrade over the ones I have now but they all get uber expensive like the Solitaire P for example. Next up will first be the Zähl HM1 amp that I've ordered and once that arrives the plan is to calm down a bit on getting new stuff in and enjoy the setup I have for a while.
D8K is a nice phone. I believe we'll see the CA-1a shake things up a bit. We're at a bottleneck for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back