Filling a Specific Headphone Need
Aug 30, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #17 of 18
To Tacoboy:

Don't be sorry about the recommendation.  I think they're very nice and I didn't pay much for them.  I just don't think I'll be able to use them for an awful long time.  I considered the pad replacement as you suggested, but I think I might rather use that money toward a nicer set.  Not sure if the clamping feeling would decrease that much with those new pads... and I've already been stretching them a lot.

Quote:
Sorry you didn't like the AD900's. I have a pair and they are very bass light, but I enjoy the detail and precision so much I can overlook the small amount of bass. Plus what is there is pretty punchy and tight.

My go to headphones for office use is actually a pair of KSC75''s with the Parts Express Mini headphone headband. Yes, they are $20, but the clamping force is so small and they are so light, I wear them every day for 6-8 hours at a time with absolutely no fatigue. Plus they are semi open so I can hear others but it doesn't leak so badly that everyone can hear what I'm listening to. With some quarter modding and the Kramer mod (I've also modded mine to be a single sided entry cable) they sound pretty darn nice too, especially if you'll primarily use them for podcasts.

Plus with all the money you save by getting the KSC75's, you can always buy yourself some really nice mixing headphones!

I wouldn't say that I primarily listen to podcasts, but I do listen to them often.  While I don't need the best of quality headphones for them I'd like ideally to be able to use them for both podcasts and music.  I can always switch out my portapros when I go on a podcast spree.  Thanks for the input.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #18 of 18
You can also try the AKG K240 MKII. I had a pair for quite a while and they were great sounding cans. Also semi-open so you could hear your surroundings fairly easily but they also don't leak crazy amount of noise everywhere. They are also very very light (lighter than the AD900 I believe) and so comfortable I ended up using them as earmuffs to bike to school with.

They are much bass heavier than the AD900 as well, although that's not really surprising given how bass light the AD900 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back