FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Oct 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #271 of 611

Quote:
Hiss: E7 > E6 > A10 > PA2V2.

While PA2V2 might have the least hiss, it also has the least performance among the 4.

Also saw your question on other threads - sibilance is mainly an issue of the headphone, especially peaks in the frequency response around 2kHz ~ 8kHz. If you want less sibilance, try EQing that section of the FR down. Amp is really not the answer for sibilance.

Wait hiss is sibilance right? if so how would the E11 fit in with those amps. I found a great deal on them, so far seems the most likely candidate, it will be paired with an iphone 3gs, and soon iphone 4. I will use it on my computer, but I don't need a DAC I only have like 3 flac albums, and not all my songs are 320, like half. Also what else does the DAC purpose serve, rather than on the computer?

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #272 of 611
No, hiss is not sibilance. Hiss is generally considered a background noise, while sibilance is peaks in the treble area (although sometimes valleys can cause sibilance too).

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #274 of 611

Quote:
No, hiss is not sibilance...

This ^

Quote:
oh so then which is least sibilance out of those including e11 

You still don't get it. Hiss is the electronics noise from the amp, sibilance is the overly sharped 2kHz ~ 8kHz peaks from your headphone. Regardless of what amp you use, it won't make any difference if your headphone is sibilant. Asking for what amp will have less sibilance is like asking for what shoe will make you an NBA star - the problem is not on the shoe, nor the amp.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #275 of 611
Seems like some people got you confused. Sibilance do sounds like a snake's hiss, for an e.g.; an emphasized 's' sound when the vocal says anything with an 's'.

However hiss in audio is not sibilance. While not exactly the same, a hiss is somewhat similar to a pink noise(you can google for one); and is a background noise i.e. something that 'plays' all the time, when there really shouldn't be any.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #277 of 611

Quote:
You still don't get it. Hiss is the electronics noise from the amp, sibilance is the overly sharped 2kHz ~ 8kHz peaks from your headphone. Regardless of what amp you use, it won't make any difference if your headphone is sibilant. Asking for what amp will have less sibilance is like asking for what shoe will make you an NBA star - the problem is not on the shoe, nor the amp. 

Although fair to note, if your amp has a moderate or high output impedance and your headphones also have an impedance spike in the treble, then the interaction will actually affect the frequency response and alter those peaks.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #279 of 611

Quote:
No i get the difference with the hiss and sibilance, and I'm pretty sure source has to do with sibilance, my iphone gives out a lot more sibilance than the Sansa, it does change the eq. 

Any half decent source will show you sibilance when there is sibilance in the recording, and iPhone is actual quite revealing.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #282 of 611

Quote:
Your iPhone doesn't have a 4khz spike.   For instance, if you have an iPhone 4 you have a flat response and less than 1 ohm output impedence.

Idk I mean that's just compared to the Sansa, but I am sure that the iphone boosts the mid range region. Whether or not it's intended that's how I hear it. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #283 of 611

Quote:
Idk I mean that's just compared to the Sansa, but I am sure that the iphone boosts the mid range region. Whether or not it's intended that's how I hear it. 

Well. iPhone certain doesn't boost mid range. It is revealing because it is a flat yet clean sounding source, as with all of Apple products. If you don't think it is flat, then you are having the wrong idea of what is flat sounding. Also, what is your Sansa anyway? There are way too many Sansa out there and only the recent few are considered to be good (not including the Fuze+, I think).

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #284 of 611

Quote:
This ^

Actually, they have shoes that increase your vertical jump now. The arch in your shoe forces optimal positioning for a propulsion-like effect. 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39064018/Is_The_300_Basketball_Shoe_Worth_It

However, your original point is still correct, haha :p

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #285 of 611

Quote:
Actually, they have shoes that increase your vertical jump now. The arch in your shoe forces optimal positioning for a propulsion-like effect. 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39064018/Is_The_300_Basketball_Shoe_Worth_It

However, your original point is still correct, haha :p

in physics that doesn't work ^^, it can only make the force more efficient and that would depend on the persons foot arch and stuff. I had a Sansa fuze, but I recently returned it. I only say that the iphone boosts the mid range, compared to my on board sound card. Either way I want a slightly more dark sounding amp that will hopefully give me a little emphasis on something rather than sibilance. I mean really all I'm asking is what will help the sibilance, I know the amp is not the main factor in sibilance, but it certainly makes a difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back