Fiio E5 or Gary's PA2V2?
Apr 2, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #32 of 67
I just purchased:
-iPod Classic 120gb
-Pocket Dock
-Alessandro MS-1 improved 2009 version
I have received everything except for my headphones...ARGH ITS SO ANNOYING!!!! Ok, well... I quickly noticed that with the pocket dock the sound quality greatly improves; however, the volume level is irritatingly loud for the headphones... So I have no other choice but to further decrease my already crippled funds and purchase an amp with volume control hahaha. Well the PA2v2 seems like the best choice so far...for my MS-1i's, does this seem correct?

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by meemorize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could afford it I would, and since I live in New Zealand all the shipping charges tend to be prohibitive.
Also if I make the right choice straight away I won't need to have one amp too many
smily_headphones1.gif

You will.....you willl (in Yoda's voice)

Apr 4, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Argyle Shepard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my PA2V2 and you won't find better or friendlier customer service than with Gary.

Couldn't have said it any better than that.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #36 of 67
I'm enjoying my PA2v2 immensley. It seems to give my foam modded HD555's more "depth". The bass seams a bit punchier as well. All in all, I dig it.

But I've decided in this hobby to start in the mid-range area, price wise. After reading, and researching here, I'm come to the conclusion that I want to exp. the whole journey as I get more and more into it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by meemorize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

[size=xx-small]first of all: yes, i have used the search function but I could not find a thread that compares these two models, so here I go:[/size]

I have just come home from demoing Grado's SR60 & SR80s and enjoyed listening to the SR80 far more than the 60s which may be a result of the ear cups but i simply prefered the clarity and brigthness in the SR80 a tad more.

When demoing (using my iPod touch (1G)) I switched in a Fiio E3 amp and was positively surprised. The sound did improve even further.

Before using the Fiio E3 (which was a pure coincidence because the dealer had one lying around) I had my eyes firmly set on Gary's Pocket Amp 2 Version 2 which many people here hold in very high regard for the entry level.

Now my question: How will the Fiio E5
(which is pricewise more like Gary's) compare to the PA2V2?

Are there noticable differences in terms of brightness/clarity response or bass?
The only reason I am considering the Fiio is its small size and style, so if there are quality differences I'd rather go with 'industrial design' a la Gary over the style of the Fiios.

Thanks for reading.
M.

I've owned Gary's PA2V2 and currently own the FiiO E5 and for full sized cans, I would say Gary' amp and for IEMs, the FiiO.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #38 of 67
pa2v2 is a good amp. that's only amp i'd use if my budget was less than $60.
fiio e5, i recommend to everyone not to use it unless his/her budget is $20. it doesnt really do anything other than amplifying the volume a little bit while degrading the sound. the bass boost does work for a little more bass but it degrades the other sounds even more.

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #39 of 67
Garys amp is a little more serious than the Fiio E5.
The E5 is a cute toy, but i cant say its a serious amp.
I bought one at a meet out of curiousity because it was so cheap.
Its a throw-away amp. When the battery dies, you throw it away.
When Pa2v2 battery dies, you replace the battery.
You can easily over-drive the E5. Sometimes sound is better without it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Garys amp is a little more serious than the Fiio E5.
The E5 is a cute toy, but i cant say its a serious amp.
I bought one at a meet out of curiousity because it was so cheap.
Its a throw-away amp. When the battery dies, you throw it away.
When Pa2v2 battery dies, you replace the battery.
You can easily over-drive the E5. Sometimes sound is better without it.

I kind of agree with you. Gary's amp is pretty darn good for the money with full sized headphones. But way too much juice for IEMs.

The FiiO E5 won't cut it with full sized cans, but sounds surprisingly good with IEMs.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #41 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of agree with you. Gary's amp is pretty darn good for the money with full sized headphones. But way too much juice for IEMs.

The FiiO E5 won't cut it with full sized cans, but sounds surprisingly good with IEMs.

Why don't you adjust the gain in the PA2V2? Mine is set with a gain of two and it is fine w/ the RE252 and ER4P. Good luck.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #42 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you adjust the gain in the PA2V2? Mine is set with a gain of two and it is fine w/ the RE252 and ER4P. Good luck.

I did, but I still got too much hum with my Westone 3s. I just found the the FiiO was better with all of my IEMs (SE530/IE8/W3/RE0), but no doubt that the PA2V2 was better with full sized cans.

The customer service from Gary is truly top notch!

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #44 of 67
Just bought an PA2V2 via fleabay to go with my 32GB Ipod Touch and IE6's

Noticed that at low volume or with the LOD connected there is quite a bot og background "crackle"

Is the unit broken ?

confused_face(1).gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, mine has no noises w/ the ER4P nor with the RE252. I guess these two are not as sensitive as your Westone 3s.

I totally agree. I used to own the ER-4Ps and they did have very little hiss, but the Westone 3s are the most sensitive IEMs I've ever had. Westone 3 owners should be warned to try them with the amp before purchasing it because they are so sensitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back