Fiio E5 or Gary's PA2V2?
May 10, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #61 of 67
Yea the prices are pretty far apart, but where are you finding the PA2V2 for $45? I wasnt really considering the E5. I will probably get the cheap Fiio LOD though.
So does anyone think that the PA2V2 is worth it to get a SQ boost out of my AT AD700's and my Monster Golds?

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #62 of 67
I own both the Fiio E5 and Gary's PA2V2 using Yuin PK1's and like em both but sound wise Gary's PA2V2 is def the better choice.
I'm sure people know about the trick to set the slider in the middle position on the Fiio E5 which gives you way, way better sound that just in bass on/off position. Bass ON is crap and OFF sounds too weak.
The PA2V2 has the power and rich sound while the E5 is def not bad and so damn easy to take with you because it's so small and light. The $9 price for the E5 is ridiculous and def the choice if you start out playin' around with amps...Gary's PA2V2 is next.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #63 of 67
$9 for the E5? Thought it was closer to $15?

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #65 of 67

Quote:
I own both the Fiio E5 and Gary's PA2V2 using Yuin PK1's and like em both but sound wise Gary's PA2V2 is def the better choice.
I'm sure people know about the trick to set the slider in the middle position on the Fiio E5 which gives you way, way better sound that just in bass on/off position. Bass ON is crap and OFF sounds too weak.
The PA2V2 has the power and rich sound while the E5 is def not bad and so damn easy to take with you because it's so small and light. The $9 price for the E5 is ridiculous and def the choice if you start out playin' around with amps...Gary's PA2V2 is next.

I didn't know that, works really well! Thanks alot for the tip

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #67 of 67
Hmm... I tried the switch in the middle. Interesting. It does seem to clear things up a bit.

Anyway, after shelving my E5 for a while, I decided to hook it up again... It's quite impressive for the price. It's also cheap enough to be an impulse purchase. I've never listened to the PA2V2 (I decided on the Fiio instead), but it's a very big improvement over an unamped ipod when using easy to drive phones (I used the HD595 and Triple-Fi 10). Things like cymbals that sound recessed/muddy without it clear up nicely. IMO, it's a good starting point for a portable amp. If you want/need better, they're definitely out there, but the Fiio 5 makes a good case for portable amps in general.

Later today, I'm going to compare it with my home amp... and my home phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back