Fiio E5 or Gary's PA2V2?
Jan 13, 2009 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

meemorize

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

[size=xx-small]first of all: yes, i have used the search function but I could not find a thread that compares these two models, so here I go:[/size]

I have just come home from demoing Grado's SR60 & SR80s and enjoyed listening to the SR80 far more than the 60s which may be a result of the ear cups but i simply prefered the clarity and brigthness in the SR80 a tad more.

When demoing (using my iPod touch (1G)) I switched in a Fiio E3 amp and was positively surprised. The sound did improve even further.

Before using the Fiio E3 (which was a pure coincidence because the dealer had one lying around) I had my eyes firmly set on Gary's Pocket Amp 2 Version 2 which many people here hold in very high regard for the entry level.

Now my question: How will the Fiio E5
(which is pricewise more like Gary's) compare to the PA2V2?

Are there noticable differences in terms of brightness/clarity response or bass?
The only reason I am considering the Fiio is its small size and style, so if there are quality differences I'd rather go with 'industrial design' a la Gary over the style of the Fiios.

Thanks for reading.
M.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 67
I have never heard a Fiio E5. But Gary's PA2V2 was my first amp. I have a soft corner for it. It colours the sound a little bit. In a nice way.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard a Fiio E5. But Gary's PA2V2 was my first amp. I have a soft corner for it. It colours the sound a little bit. In a nice way.

Glad to hear it. I really do like Gary's for the long battery life and the insanely good service. He is such a nice guy.
I ll probably go that way too.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 67
Yup. I'd support the purchase of a PA2V2. I've had 2. Loved 'em both. Another consideration might be the HotAudio40 line. I wouldn't buy the FiiO when I can get such personalized service from a good bloke who's making amps for the love of it.

Cheers
Don

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddoingwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. I'd support the purchase of a PA2V2. I've had 2. Loved 'em both. Another consideration might be the HotAudio40 line. I wouldn't buy the FiiO when I can get such personalized service from a good bloke who's making amps for the love of it.

Cheers
Don

Thanks Don for the feedback. Just had a look at the HotAudio40 and now I am wondering if it is more important to have a DAC+AMP or just an AMP like the one Gary sells.. My output comes from a Mac Pro computer and an iPod.. but I have been told that the built-in mac hardware allows for pretty good audio via the line-out connection..

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 67
the E5 is not even close to the PA2V2's price point

why not just get both?

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the E5 is not even close to the PA2V2's price point

why not just get both?

If I could afford it I would, and since I live in New Zealand all the shipping charges tend to be prohibitive.
Also if I make the right choice straight away I won't need to have one amp too many
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by meemorize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could afford it I would, and since I live in New Zealand all the shipping charges tend to be prohibitive.

It's $20 including worldwide shipping form focalprice.com. So in this case, you have no excuse.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 67
I am only worried about the build quality of E5...it's real cheap...I hope it doesn't break quick though...anyone can comment? I want something like a e5...an amp that can be used in the gym ^ ^

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am only worried about the build quality of E5...it's real cheap...I hope it doesn't break quick though...anyone can comment? I want something like a e5...an amp that can be used in the gym ^ ^

Not too cheaply built in my view. And it's a nice little amp if you need extra bass or a little sound boost for you DAP/Phones.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 67
I have both... in my possession right now.

The E5's build quality isn't cheap. I don't go smashing it around, but I'm sure it can take a decent beating.

In my opinion, the PA2V2 is much better than the E5. The E5 almost sounds like nothing to me (soundwise). It gives a little more detail and clarity, but nothing to write home about. The bass boost pretty much acts like the E3, giving extra low end while making the sound a little muddy (IMO). The bass boost mode on the E5 does sound a lot better than the E3 though.

The PA2V2 slightly colors the sound and gives a little more detail (more than the E5). It also tightens up the bass a bit (something I find the E5 doesn't do). In my opinion, I'd rather listen through my PA2V2 as it does sound noticeably better than the E5, but I prefer my E5 as my portable amp because of its size.

I haven't heard any more expensive amps, so I'm not really sure how the PA2V2 stacks up against them, but I found it to be pretty good for its price. Gary is also pretty quick to respond to questions and very friendly.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both... in my possession right now.

The E5's build quality isn't cheap. I don't go smashing it around, but I'm sure it can take a decent beating.

In my opinion, the PA2V2 is much better than the E5. The E5 almost sounds like nothing to me (soundwise). It gives a little more detail and clarity, but nothing to write home about. The bass boost pretty much acts like the E3, giving extra low end while making the sound a little muddy (IMO). The bass boost mode on the E5 does sound a lot better than the E3 though.

The PA2V2 slightly colors the sound and gives a little more detail (more than the E5). It also tightens up the bass a bit (something I find the E5 doesn't do). In my opinion, I'd rather listen through my PA2V2 as it does sound noticeably better than the E5, but I prefer my E5 as my portable amp because of its size.

I haven't heard any more expensive amps, so I'm not really sure how the PA2V2 stacks up against them, but I found it to be pretty good for its price. Gary is also pretty quick to respond to questions and very friendly.

Finally someone that has both and gives some feedback
jecklinsmile.gif

Thanks a lot. I think I will go ahead and purchase the PA2V2.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 67
Hi meemorize.
I've also got both of these-and agree Yukihiro's comments. Soundwise I think Gary's PA2v2 is the better amp (IMHO) It's got bags of power if you drive full size cans - a warm/full sound - and Gary's service/support/email service is second to none. ( He seemed to reply to mine within hours when I had some queries - and when I lost a couple of locknut/washer things off one of the sockets he sent me spares (to uk) by return and free!!)

I use my E5 when going "minimal" - back to back with ipod nano - cant get much smaller I reckon. So maybe in longer term you might end up with both??!!

Like many on these forums PA2v2 was my first............but I suspect ( like many of us) it wont be the(your?) last!!!
Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back