FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #3,602 of 6,777
I was wondring quantity and quality and if it encroaches on the mids? I was basically thinking between zo2 and e17... I think I would like the ZO2 as an amp but I think the e17 would offer the technicalities and the dac is a plus.

May 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3,604 of 6,777
Quote:
I do not need a powered USB Hub. The USB to SPDIF converter (Matrix) does not need one.

I know how to handle 96/24 files. My solution is working.

Bruno

Oh, sorry Bruno, I must have misunderstood you.  I know with the USB to SPDIF converter you don't need a powered USB hub.  However, from your prior response I thought you did use a powered USB hub at one time and didn't have any of the distortion or crackling on hi-res files.  Trying to determine why you may not have heard the crackling, I thought perhaps the files weren't actually 96/24 - I was grasping at straws.  For instance, when I play my 96/24 FLAC files via Foobar and Optical SPDIF on my computer through the E17, it reads 192/24 on the E17.  In fact it reads 192/24 regardless of the sampling rate of the tune, be it 44.1/16, 48/16, 88.2/24, etc.

I truly thank you and everyone else for all the information you have provided to help my situation.  Please don't take this as me being combative.  I just want to be able to play my hi-res files on my iPad using the E17.  I've been struggling with finding a solution for months.  I'm trying to get as much information I can from people that have had success before I go throwing money at possible solutions that may not work.

May 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #3,605 of 6,777
I have no idea how the e17 does it but many DACs display data rates based off meta data and not from the actual signal they are decoding.

I had some clicking with my MRT MS 2+ but it all went away when I got a half decent usb cable.  I'm not talking anything fancy, just a certified usb 2.0 cable I paid $7 for.  I don't use any free/printer usb cables anymore.

Other people got rid of clicking by changing buffer sizes in foobar, but you're talking about your ipad so....

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #3,606 of 6,777
hello,
i had a strange experience with e17 battery last two days. Both times before going to sleep and switching off my e17 i checked battery indicator and it showed full. I didn't disconnect it from my headphones nor from my laptop(usb cable). Next morning red light was on. After switching on my e17 battery indicator showed empty. It started charging even though last time usb charging was off. After about one hour battery indicator became full. Why did battery indicator showed it's empty?

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #3,608 of 6,777
Looking at fiios homepage , the image is a concept art of the fiio e17 , anyone else think the display features are cooler than the current ? I'd like to see a firmware update for my e17 to perhaps support showing the bass level, or a more advanced sleep timer. 

See fiio.com.cn to see what I mean

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #3,609 of 6,777
Quote:
hello,
i had a strange experience with e17 battery last two days. Both times before going to sleep and switching off my e17 i checked battery indicator and it showed full. I didn't disconnect it from my headphones nor from my laptop(usb cable). Next morning red light was on. After switching on my e17 battery indicator showed empty. It started charging even though last time usb charging was off. After about one hour battery indicator became full. Why did battery indicator showed it's empty?

It may not have gone into suspend due to setting or otherwise when you turned off your laptop, and then got partially or fully discharged overnight... even if you're not actually using it it, the battery will drain fairly quickly if not going to sleep. It happened to me a couple of times esp. when used with the docking station.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #3,610 of 6,777
Anyone else had problems with it not being able to turn back on? It's been working fine for a month or two now, but now it doesn't want to turn on no matter how long I hold the on/off button for! :frowning2: This is going to be a pain if I have to send it back to HK... This is exactly what I was hoping wouldn't happen!

Edit: Ok, the reset button worked.. But is this the start of a bigger problem?

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #3,611 of 6,777
Quote:
Anyone else had problems with it not being able to turn back on? It's been working fine for a month or two now, but now it doesn't want to turn on no matter how long I hold the on/off button for! :frowning2: This is going to be a pain if I have to send it back to HK... This is exactly what I was hoping wouldn't happen!

Edit: Ok, the reset button worked.. But is this the start of a bigger problem?

Sometimes that happenes to me. I just unplug and replug the USB back in.

Considering how a reset button press or a usb replug fixes it and only 3-4 people have asked about it... I would say no.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #3,613 of 6,777
Hi,
I was wondering
laptop>E17 vs. iTouch 4th gen>E11, which will come out on top?

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #3,615 of 6,777
Quote:
Definateley laptop to E17.
The E17s dac and audio circuitry and everything will be used.

So in essence, the E17's DAC is better than the DAC in the Touch, correct?

Guess I'll be selling my E11 and buying an E17 then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back