FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #3,571 of 6,777
Ahhh getting ready to watch game of thrones and my e17 died!!! 
eek.gif
frown.gif

Edit. RESET BUTTON YOU BEAUTY!! FIXED

Sorry, just freaked out there for a bit. I'm so glad i found that reset button.

May 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3,572 of 6,777
Hey everyone i just wanted to share my new found experience with the E17 again.

Up until now (i've had the E17 since day 1) i've only used this little big boy as a DAC (docked on my E9) to go with my EF5. I'm totally happy with what i have right now but i was curious as to what a full sized DAC could do to bring out my EF-5 and DT990/K702 so i decided to post a listing. I didn't get any responses for the first few days and within those days i managed to pick up a decent optical cable from a buddy of mine. Then it hit me...while i was playing Uncharted 3 on my PS3 through my wireless sony headphones (they sound like crap but i never really cared how detailed the sound could be when i game) I had remembered that the PS3 has an optical input. So hey why the heck not...i plugged in the optical cable from the PS3 to the E17 docked on my E9. I started the game (uncharted 3) and i didn't notice anything too special (still on start screen) then when i was actually in the game...this is when EVERYTHING changed. At first he spoke and i could hear him loud and clear and when i started moving the assisting characters followed behind me and when they said something i honestly thought someone was right behind me speaking to me and it took me by surprise and i actually turned around to check but only realized it was the awesome sound stage. I was so blown away by how detailed it was...as the side characters spoke i turned my character around in circles and i kid you not...the voices were spiraling in a 360 degree motion around my head. Every step i took, every step the side characters took i knew exactly where they were whether they were to my left, my right, on top, below...it's just overwhelming how much your gaming experience can improve. I honestly felt like i was drake himself when i played uncharted 3. In the end i decided to keep my E17 =).

I've shown you guys my setup before but i've made some small minor changes. My only  gripe (this is just being REALLY REALLY picky and i have no problem with this) is that i can't use the USB and Optical function simultaneously so i can game and use my computer at the same time. But hey i'm still happy regardless. 

May 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,573 of 6,777
Quote:
eek.gif
frown.gif

i ALWAYS watch game of thrones with my E17...it's just that much better.

I've tried using regular speakers but it just won't do haha

May 29, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #3,574 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:
eek.gif
frown.gif

i ALWAYS watch game of thrones with my E17...it's just that much better.

I've tried using regular speakers but it just won't do haha

is that a good show?  have you seen Breaking Bad?  amaaazing show. 

May 29, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #3,576 of 6,777
Quote:
is that a good show?  have you seen Breaking Bad?  amaaazing show. 

You haven't seen game of thrones? OMG

Yeh I love breaking bad too. You can't compare the two shows cuz they are so different. Game of thrones is like lord of the rings mixed with dune mixed with melrose place.

Now to make this relevant to the E17 thread..... I love using my E17 for everything from music to shows to games. I love the bass boost which boosts just the really low frequencies and the sleep timer is good if you want to fall asleep. Oh and my new favourite feature.. the reset button :)

Anyone had any issues with the hold switch? I haven't had a problem with it yet but i use it so much that it could potentially wear out.

May 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #3,577 of 6,777
I have a Realtek® ALC889 8-Channel High Definition Audio as an onboard sound card on my computer.
Would the E17 give me a better audio quality if connected via USB ?
I am using Sennheiser HD 558.

May 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #3,578 of 6,777
I have a Realtek® ALC889 8-Channel High Definition Audio as an onboard sound card on my computer.
Would the E17 give me a better audio quality if connected via USB ?
I am using Sennheiser HD 558.

The improvement in sound to an audiophile would be huge. Sounddreamer had an 558 last I remembered and he loved the E17 with the 558. It changes depending on people but if you want a portable and desktop entry into the audiophile world of sound then do some more research and make a descision. But to our community, an onboard chip is unnaceptable.(most cases)

May 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #3,580 of 6,777
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Yeah i am just starting to change my audio equipment when I heard at a friends setup how much difference good or even semi good audio equipment can make to good music.

If you have demo'd "right" equipment and have heard the difference in sound with your HD 558's then this E17 would be a great device. Keep in mind that that price of this device is due to its ability to be portable and desktop, used as a solo DAC, and also its plethora of inputs and options. There are desktop models availble from FiiO and other manufactuers if that is what you are looking for. Otherwise the E17 to improve the sound would be a great purchase for any mid end headphone and below.

May 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #3,582 of 6,777
Quote:
The E17 also appealed to me for its mobile use with my laptop and ipod touch as its not as heavy / bulky as a desktop only version.

I would wait a month....and then follow Micca Store on facebook and or twitter. Prices have skyrocketed right now due to lack of supply and a huge demand. For the last almost half year, America and around the world has had a shortage of the E17 with it selling out pretty fast almost every time an authorized dealer puts it up. I do not know how the demand is anymore and will guess that this is probably the beginning of no "Sell out" demand and an average price of $140-$150. However I can not tell you that for sure.  

May 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3,583 of 6,777
Mhm good to know, I was going to wait until next month for my paycheck anyway so that's good to know. Right now u can only get the E17 via Amazon here for about 130 euro which is about 160$ US.

May 29, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3,584 of 6,777
Quote:
Mhm good to know, I was going to wait until next month for my paycheck anyway so that's good to know. Right now u can only get the E17 via Amazon here for about 130 euro which is about 160$ US.

That is actually cheaper than the U.S right now. Especially considering how much more expensive European bought electronics ususally cost.

May 29, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #3,585 of 6,777
Mhm I actually see a special bundle offer here for an E17 and E9 for 280$ US which is about 20 dollars cheaper as buying them separately?
Is that a good bargain / better application than just the E17 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back