FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3,616 of 6,777
Yes it is. Not to mention the circuitry and everything. And remember that I am talking in technical terms. How much upgrade is dependant on everyone differently but yes, the E17 with laptop is superior to touch and E11. As the op amps is also superior in E17, the touch and E17 would still be technically superior.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,617 of 6,777
Quote:
Yes it is. Not to mention the circuitry and everything. And remember that I am talking in technical terms. How much upgrade is dependant on everyone differently but yes, the E17 with laptop is superior to touch and E11. As the op amps is also superior in E17, the touch and E17 would still be technically superior.

Aha, thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #3,618 of 6,777
How do I go about plugging this to my iMac via the optical input? What cable? Also will the sound quality improve drastically compared to the iMac? Or should I spend more money on a dac? I will be using Ultrasone signature pro. Thanks

Also is the audinst Mx-1 better than the e17?

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3,619 of 6,777
Dear All,
            I hope you are well. I have a question that one of you may be able to answer for me. I have an android phone and it appears that it will not support line out via the usb, thus in this case I would be double amping the output. There does not appear to be a way around this at present, unless I get a new phone or an ipod. The questions I have are:

what benefit will I gain, if any from using an e17?

Will it simply amount to an increase in volume or can I expect improvements in sound quality?

Would the sound quality be reduced through double amping? In what way?

I appreciate that a line out would have the greatest impact but I just wanted to know if this product would benefit me. 

Thank you for your time
All the best
Kajendiran

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3,620 of 6,777
Dear All,
         I forgot to ask another question. I use linux, specifically Ubuntu as my operating system.

Does anyone know if running the e17 through Ubuntu is possible?

Is this a complicated process? If so, any instructions? (I could not find much on google, except one post stating it just worked automatically)

Thank you 
Kajendiran

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #3,621 of 6,777
Quote:
Dear All,
         I forgot to ask another question. I use linux, specifically Ubuntu as my operating system.

Does anyone know if running the e17 through Ubuntu is possible?

Is this a complicated process? If so, any instructions? (I could not find much on google, except one post stating it just worked automatically)

Thank you 
Kajendiran

Many use E17 with Ubuntu. It seems its not usually just plug and play like Windows but if you use Linux then you probably know how to instal stuff if you need to. Sudo apt get- E17 :) (not a real command)

Nothing complicated or on the E17's end. USB with E17 is class 1 driver so it's all on the E17's side. If you are running through optical or coaxil you may need S/PDIF drivers or soemthing depending on the program you are using and flavor of Linux.
Quote:
Dear All,
            I hope you are well. I have a question that one of you may be able to answer for me. I have an android phone and it appears that it will not support line out via the usb, thus in this case I would be double amping the output. There does not appear to be a way around this at present, unless I get a new phone or an ipod. The questions I have are:

what benefit will I gain, if any from using an e17?

Will it simply amount to an increase in volume or can I expect improvements in sound quality?

Would the sound quality be reduced through double amping? In what way?

I appreciate that a line out would have the greatest impact but I just wanted to know if this product would benefit me. 

Thank you for your time
All the best
Kajendiran

• The benefits are that you will have more "power", "volume", and look and feel like an audiophile. There can also be coloration of the sound to your liking through the two op amps in the e17 and also its EQ abilities.
  • You can expect slight improvements....if THEY ARE EVEN visible or audible to you is another question. You should be able to note a different sound signature however.
  • Some "super audiophiles" would say yes as you are just amping the bad signal and if done wrong can worsen it even  more. But in this case you won't worsen it technically but subjectively maybe, as in if the sound signature doesn't fit some songs.
  • This product is mainly for DUAL PURPOSE use as portable amp and DAC at home or on the go(with select devices). You may have a better chance getting a Cowon.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #3,622 of 6,777
Dual amping isn't that bad at all.

Amps have an incredibly high input impedance (relative to headphones), meaning they are extremely easy to drive for another amp.
In fact, dual amping happens almost all the time. For example, a typical desktop DAC has enough voltage swing (typically 2V) to drive a normal headphone , it simply can't supply the required amount of power. Which is where the headphone amplifier comes in.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #3,623 of 6,777
Dear bowei006 & Tilpo,
             thank you for taking the time to answer my questions so fully. I feel reassured enough to order one.

I am so glad it is possible to get it to work in Ubuntu, that's a reason in itself, my laptop output is poor. I have a presonus firebox soundcard but for the life of me I could never get it to work in Ubuntu and I have to switch to windows each time I produce music.

I will test the e17 and see if it makes an improvement using as a portable amp, until I get line out capabilities.

I just read about cowon players, thank you, seems it makes a substantial improvement to listening experience, will have to consider this.

Thank you once again for your time and expertise. 
All the best
Kajendiran

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3,624 of 6,777
Dear bowei006 & Tilpo,
             thank you for taking the time to answer my questions so fully. I feel reassured enough to order one.

I am so glad it is possible to get it to work in Ubuntu, that's a reason in itself, my laptop output is poor. I have a presonus firebox soundcard but for the life of me I could never get it to work in Ubuntu and I have to switch to windows each time I produce music.

I will test the e17 and see if it makes an improvement using as a portable amp, until I get line out capabilities.

I just read about cowon players, thank you, seems it makes a substantial improvement to listening experience, will have to consider this.

Thank you once again for your time and expertise. 
All the best
Kajendiran

The E17 should just use normal USB audio drivers, which are natively supported by most distros of Linux, as far as I know.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #3,625 of 6,777
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,626 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi,

Any one has used Mini Toslink to Toslink cable like this, to connect E17 with laptop?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1556&seq=1&format=2

Del XPS support SPDIF output from Realtek HD card, connecting with these will be better SQ than USB?

Please let me know. 

You must first make sure the Dell HAS one of the two plugs you see in the pic. Does it have the flat or pointy end? (Toslink end or min toslink)

Unless you want 192KHz and has a soundcard that can output it(most can) and have files that are that. then stick with USB.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3,627 of 6,777
Hi,
Del XPS support SPDIF output from Realtek HD card, connecting with these will be better SQ than USB?

The SPDIF output on my Dell XPS 15 notebook is a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack which doubles as a headphone output. I use USB out. Windows 7 describes the USB out as SPDIF. I'm not sure of the technical details, but I think the USB interface uses the SPDIF protocol.

In short, I don't think there is a quality difference, since both should be bit-perfect.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,628 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi,

Any one has used Mini Toslink to Toslink cable like this, to connect E17 with laptop?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1556&seq=1&format=2

Please let me know. 

For this cable  Mini M/M 5.0mm OD Molded Cable, you need to use the optical adapter, connect the 3.5mm connector to your Dell XPS, and them connect the other end of connector ( square shape ) to the optical adapter, and the plug the adapter to the SPDIF in of E17.

BTW, we are making a new 3.5 mini to 3.5 mini Toslink cable so our user don't need to use the adapter which may cause signal loss and some other problem. the new cable like below, the retail price will be around $10. model name L12, ETA, JULY

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,629 of 6,777
Thanks a lot for all these info

will go with (3.5mm) jack to square shape for now, I do not want to bypass Realtek as I use their EQ on top of RPGWiZaRD’s Dolby and very happy with result. Optical should be some gain from 3.5 line in which I using now.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #3,630 of 6,777
BTW, we are making a new 3.5 mini to 3.5 mini Toslink cable so our user don't need to use the adapter which may cause signal loss and some other problem. the new cable like below, the retail price will be around $10. model name L12, ETA, JULY

This is why you guys are so awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back