FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #3,421 of 6,777
can i use fiio e17 with sansa clip zip ? can anyone explain me how to connect it... sorry for a poor english and such a newbie question
normal_smile%20.gif

May 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #3,422 of 6,777
Your english is fine. The ClipZip would only connect to the E17 one way: 1/8" male-to-male from the ClipZip headphone jack to the E17 AUX jack. Of course, you would only be using the E17 as an amp, not a DAC.

May 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #3,423 of 6,777
Quote:
Your english is fine. The ClipZip would only connect to the E17 one way: 1/8" male-to-male from the ClipZip headphone jack to the E17 AUX jack. Of course, you would only be using the E17 as an amp, not a DAC.

I understand that for iPods, one can use the L3 or L9 cable to go from the iPod to the E17 (through the Auxiliary in).

What advantage does the L3/L9 have over simply using a male-to-male line from the headphone jack of the iPod to the E17?

May 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #3,424 of 6,777
Thanks for the posts guys. So people are enjoying the performance from this little guy?

I have a pair of Dennon ahd2000s and a pair of audio technica ATH-M50s. I am hoping to use this amp on the go with the M50s. First off I dont trust people with my Dennons and also they just look more expensive then my M50s even though the prices arnt that different (about 70$ when I purchased), I dont know probably all in my head, plus I feel the M50s will hold up better over all traveling. All personal pref I guess.

Any way I will probably be placing my pre-order in then for the Fiio e17 and hope for the best. Thanks for all of the info on recognized dealers I looked up a few reviews in google searching and tried to look around head fi for peoples experiences with accessoryjack but then I read some where that some Chinese companies forge fake review sites and reviews so I became rather worried and iffy about ordering from them. Thanks again every one. Will post my thoughts when I receive mine.

May 16, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3,425 of 6,777
Quote:

is there a way to use that e17 as a dac too ? cause it will be  waste of money if i can only use the amp and not the DAC.
btw if i use e 17 with rocoo p, can i use the dac/amp feature ? cause i am consider to buy sansa clip zip or rocoo p, thx

May 16, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #3,427 of 6,777
@darkblade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdM-K8k5KMw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

iPods with L3 or L9 can bypass ipods non audiophile amp and internal eadphone jack corcuitry allowing for a very clean signal to go to only one external audiophile one(or more)

@Alkaid
With a sansa clip, the E17 can not be used as a DAC. You can use it as an amp with your sansa which will dual amp. And you can then also use with your computer as a DAC.

It does not seem the rocoo can output a digital signal theough it"s USB port so I would half say no, that the Rocoo cant be used with the E17 so that the DAC will be used. You will dual amp there as well.

May 16, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #3,428 of 6,777
Not sure if this has been posted before, but could this be one of the way we can connect our iDevices (iPhone, iPad, iPod) to FiiO E17?

Matrix 24 bit 96 KHz USB to Coaxial Converter
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-24-bit-96-khz-usb-to-coaxial-converter-p-197.html

This converter is powered by USB and since the E17 has internal battery, this could be a portable solution. 
gs1000.gif

May 16, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #3,429 of 6,777
If the matrix outputs a digital coaxil signal that has the digital lpcm stream of the audio files(im not sure of exactly its specs so Im making it exact) then yes the E17 can be used like this. There is already a USB solution but this if my above confitions are followed will work as well unless the device is faulty.

But as this has not been tested with E17 and I dont know about this specific device I do not make any promises and am just using my knowledge to formulate an answer. Because sometimes these devices have another cavet, dont do my conditions above, or are faulty. Again do at your risk and if it works then tell us :)

May 16, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #3,430 of 6,777
According to Matrix 24 bit 96 KHz USB to Coaxial Converter product page, the converter design is based on TI's professional USB receiving chip TAS1020B and digital audio transmitter DIT4096. I do not have experience with these chips but a bit of Googling I found that Musical Fidelity V-Link USB-S/PDIF converter ($169) (Review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/musical-fidelity-v-link-usb-spdif-converter-0) also using the same pair of chips. Of course there can be many different designs and implementation, but maybe this show that the Matrix USB-Coaxial converter meets certain expect of compatibility. I am not sure. Maybe like bowei006 said, we have to test it to be sure. 
wink_face.gif

May 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #3,433 of 6,777
Is anybody using the E17 as a dac between a computer and a Schiit Asgard?  I've been having problems with noise/interference and it's driving me nuts.

My setup is computer/USB -> Fiio E17 with L7 LOD (lo bypass) -> Schiit Asgard -> HD650.  I've tried unplugging my wireless mouse, changing USB ports, turning off wifi, etc, and the noise always remains.

When I plug the same setup into my Objective2 amp it is dead silent.  When I plug my ipod/iphone directly as a source into the Asgard it is silent.  Any ideas?

May 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3,434 of 6,777
Quote:
is there a way to use that e17 as a dac too ? cause it will be  waste of money if i can only use the amp and not the DAC.
btw if i use e 17 with rocoo p, can i use the dac/amp feature ? cause i am consider to buy sansa clip zip or rocoo p, thx

There is no way to use the E17 as a DAC with that Sansa. All is not lost, tho. From what I've heard the volume controls on the E17 is superior to that found on the Sansa, so music would sound better when played at volumes that are only adjusted by the E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back