FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #3,436 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:
is there a way to use that e17 as a dac too ? cause it will be  waste of money if i can only use the amp and not the DAC.
btw if i use e 17 with rocoo p, can i use the dac/amp feature ? cause i am consider to buy sansa clip zip or rocoo p, thx

There is no way to use the E17 as a DAC with that Sansa. All is not lost, tho. From what I've heard the volume controls on the E17 is superior to that found on the Sansa, so music would sound better when played at volumes that are only adjusted by the E17.

most likely you'll want close to 100% volume on your Sansa though...........   that's what Bowei said.  :p

May 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #3,437 of 6,777
Quote:
is there a way to use that e17 as a dac too ? cause it will be  waste of money if i can only use the amp and not the DAC.
btw if i use e 17 with rocoo p, can i use the dac/amp feature ? cause i am consider to buy sansa clip zip or rocoo p, thx

@ ALKAID: If you were to get a sansa fuze (v1 or v2, but not the fuze plus) then you could use an LOD to bypass the fuze's internal DAC Amp just like an iPod, and use the DAC Amp in the E17. But for the clip (clip, clip+, or clip zip) you're out of luck...

05/17/2012 @ 01:58pm : Edited for accuracy. Apologies for error.

May 17, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #3,440 of 6,777
Hello,
i recently received E17. I have a question. Where does it take power from while usb cable is plugged in? From battery or usb? Also where does it take power from with different usb charging settings(on or off)? I would like to know so i could save some battery charging cycles..

May 17, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #3,441 of 6,777
.@flacvest
Last I remember the LOD for the other Sansa was just like the iPods or iphones LOD where it ONLY bypassed the amp and NOT the DAC. Correct me if I am wrong but if the sansa could bypass DAC for so cheap it would be a top device

Ive checked around and I seem to be right. I am bolding this as the difference is huge and someone can make a mistake. The ios can have dac bypassed but it is expensive. $200+ for a desktop bypasser and $500 + for a portable one. Ipad is cheaper to bypass for reasons i wont get into.

@unknwn
It is not fully known and just based off observation though but while plugged into computer with charging on and if the E17 has a low battery my guess is it does what modt devices in that setup do. Uses the battery simualtaneous to battery charge. Some say it's bad or dont like it and yes it will have an impact on battery life. If you intend for the E17 to be your main device for more than 5years then charge it like an E11. As in once its out of power , hook it up to a very good high quality slow charger and dont use it. It eill take a day to charge so you might want a new E17. That setup is to precocious really and is for worrie prople. I did some math and if theoretically it will take 3 years of continued E17 use and drain to fully deplete the battery. This means that if the E17 is on for 24/7 for 3 years it will loose its battery. A replacement battery is being looked for and at worst you can buy one and pay fiio to ship it to you and replace it yourself.

When te device is plugged into usb and chg is off then it uses battery. Although it is thought that a bit of current from USB naturally goes to the E17 as users report longer battery when plugged i to USB even with charge off. I have not done this and I dont average scores or test it.

May 17, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #3,442 of 6,777
May 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #3,445 of 6,777
I have a major problem. I fear my E17 is broken. While charging it and simultaneously using it on my laptop through usb, i unplugged it and all of a sudden it switches itself off. Pressing the power button does nothing. When i plug it back in, the red light around the power button comes on but is very very dim, like there's not enough power feeding it. However Windows recognizes it because it appears in Playback devices.

Please tell me it's not bricked :frowning2:

May 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3,446 of 6,777
Sounds to me like a power issue... maybe a faulty battery that doesn't retain the charge, which would explain why it still works when plugged in & powered by USB. However, I would certainly first double-check that it IS charging while plugged in, and not simply having charging disabled. Also, if your laptop USB port doesn't provide enough juice, only enough to run the E17, the charging may be slow to none...

I have had an issue where I had disabled sleep on my E7, turned everything off incl. the E9, then came back the next day to grab it & go only to find that it had almost completely depleted itself overnight instead of being fully charged...duh.

May 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #3,447 of 6,777
Good news :) After unplugging it and leaving it for half an hour it now works. I plugged it in and the red light is bright. It also switches on now :) 

Btw i had charge enabled, and there was no way of telling whether it was charging or not. And i know the problem wasn't from my laptop because plugging into the wall yielded the same result.

Anyway im just happy it works, i'll keep an eye out to see if this happens again. It still may be a faulty battery.

On another note the battery life for this thing is awesome. I've had mine for nearly a month and today is the first time im charging it.

May 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #3,448 of 6,777
Quote:
Good news :) After unplugging it and leaving it for half an hour it now works. I plugged it in and the red light is bright. It also switches on now :) 

Btw i had charge enabled, and there was no way of telling whether it was charging or not. And i know the problem wasn't from my laptop because plugging into the wall yielded the same result.

Anyway im just happy it works, i'll keep an eye out to see if this happens again. It still may be a faulty battery.

On another note the battery life for this thing is awesome. I've had mine for nearly a month and today is the first time im charging it.Quote:
I have a major problem. I fear my E17 is broken. While charging it and simultaneously using it on my laptop through usb, i unplugged it and all of a sudden it switches itself off. Pressing the power button does nothing. When i plug it back in, the red light around the power button comes on but is very very dim, like there's not enough power feeding it. However Windows recognizes it because it appears in Playback devices.

Please tell me it's not bricked :frowning2:

I have the same problem occasionallly where it won't turn on. The solution for that is to plug the USB cable in and when the red light comes on just turn it on and unplug.
Quote:
Not sure to which post you're referring

@flacvest
Last I remember the LOD for the other Sansa was just like the iPods or iphones LOD where it ONLY bypassed the amp and NOT the DAC. Correct me if I am wrong but if the sansa could bypass DAC for so cheap it would be a top device

Ive checked around and I seem to be right. I am bolding this as the difference is huge and someone can make a mistake. The ios can have dac bypassed but it is expensive. $200+ for a desktop bypasser and $500 + for a portable one. Ipad is cheaper to bypass for reasons i wont get into.

May 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3,450 of 6,777
Quote:
@bowei006: I've corrected my post. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Thanks for the support FLACvest 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Some people might not have taken that kindly that I pointed it out, but stuff like that is pretty important. And thanks for editing it. Some don't do that and when searched it will pose a problem. 
wink_face.gif
. I also apologize for my spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. I was on my phone in the morning and just had to respond to it ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back