FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3,226 of 6,777

Quote:
Um...the E17 has a headphone jack to plug your headphones into...just next to the spdif socket on top of the device.

The L7 let's you take an input from your laptop, use the E17 DAC and give you a line out to feed into an alternative amplifier to the E17 amp section. At least that is my understanding of it...

Oh i got it.. silly me.. in case you dont want E17 to amplify music you use the L7 and connect to it another amp.

May 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #3,227 of 6,777
Well I received my Alpen last week Tuesday, and I am enjoying it very much. It is pretty neat that I can connect a toslink and plug in my headphones. It is smaller than I imagine.

I plugged it into my PC's  X-Fi Titanium HD optical and it pushed out 96/24
I tried it with my PS3 optical and was able to get 44/16 with games. I might try monoprice's Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) to see what else I can unlock. Going to play around with my WD streaming media player later tonight.

Being portable is awesome! I am satisfied.

May 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #3,228 of 6,777
Here's a thought, when the FiiO engineers do start work on the E15 again, is there any way to control the selected input/volume/EQ from a computer it's attached to over USB? I suppose the more practical question would be, am I the only one here who would use that?

May 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3,230 of 6,777
The battery still hasn't moved on my E17...

Checked the run time log and I'm over 48 hours of use. When I was burning in my full sized headphones I ran the E17 overnight with USB charge on which accounts for about 15 hours of use. I turned the USB charge off that morning. 28 hours use minimum and no movement in the battery indicator...  USB charge has definitely been off and the E17 has been full battery when I turn it off so I don't think it is crapping out overnight and initiating a charge cycle.

I thought the E17 would run off the battery while USB charge is off but it must be taking it's power from the USB port.  Am I damaging my battery by not using it?

May 2, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #3,231 of 6,777
Quote:
The battery still hasn't moved on my E17...

Checked the run time log and I'm over 48 hours of use. When I was burning in my full sized headphones I ran the E17 overnight with USB charge on which accounts for about 15 hours of use. I turned the USB charge off that morning. 28 hours use minimum and no movement in the battery indicator...  USB charge has definitely been off and the E17 has been full battery when I turn it off so I don't think it is crapping out overnight and initiating a charge cycle.

I thought the E17 would run off the battery while USB charge is off but it must be taking it's power from the USB port.  Am I damaging my battery by not using it?

It may not actually charge the battery, but may still get its necessary "running" power off the connector while in use. It's been the same for my E7, though I haven't used my E17 that way yet, strictly charge & mobile use so far.

May 2, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #3,232 of 6,777
Hey guys i know its been mentioned a few times in here. I am quite disapointed with the interference with not only wifi but also 3G connection with my iphone when its in the vancinity of the fiio. Its terrible! 

Anyone else find it almost unlistenable at lower volumes? Any Solutions? I dont get the same problem with my E7 Combo.

May 2, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #3,233 of 6,777
Quote:
Here's a thought, when the FiiO engineers do start work on the E15 again, is there any way to control the selected input/volume/EQ from a computer it's attached to over USB? I suppose the more practical question would be, am I the only one here who would use that?

Sorry not.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 2, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3,235 of 6,777
Okay, mayday here!! First, please see the post I made yesterday:

Okay, weirdness here. I'm just sitting at my computer rockin' out with some tunes and the e17 and the sound disappears. This used to happen with the e10, but just for a second...maybe two and then it would start right back up. So I do about everything you could think of...still no sound. So I take the e17 and plug it into my laptop and presto, sound. So it's a pc issue and possibly one caused by the fiio. Not sure.

So now I get serious and put my computer guy hat on and start some serious trouble shooting (ironically I actually am The Computer Guy..matttcg). I start digging into drivers, the event viewer, using file mon to see if some nasty might have slipped through my firewall. Nothing. All the while I'm kinda perturbed cause I've been waiting all week with no amp. On a whim I run a quick system restore to 4/26/12 and whamo, I have sound again. I suspect this problem may crop back up. But I thought I'd post just in case anyone else has experienced similar with the e1

Now the same thing has happened again. I have never had a sound problem with my pc on several different amps and dacs, including the e10. This is a major issue. The problem is I don't really know where the issue is coming from. Is it from the e17 itself? Or is it indirectly caused by it? It's just too coincidental that I had no issues until I got the e17. 

Help!!

I've experienced the same thing listening to music , putting the Fiio on hold and no more sound when I put it back on. I think the USB port looses it's connection to the Fiio.

When I turn the laptop on & off it works again. Maybe you should look at the USB settings in the hardware overview of your PC !

cheers

May 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3,236 of 6,777
Quote:
I've experienced the same thing listening to music , putting the Fiio on hold and no more sound when I put it back on. I think the USB port looses it's connection to the Fiio.
When I turn the laptop on & off it works again. Maybe you should look at the USB settings in the hardware overview of your PC !
cheers

Exactly what usb setting can be changed? Please clarify...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back