FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #3,046 of 6,777

Quote:
I was wondering if the battery indicator didn't work on my e17. I'm up to about 6 hours since I last charged it and it still shows full battery...definitely have USB charge set to Off. I expect it will just go down to empty rapidly when it starts moving.

Visanj...I have an OEM type of the HM5. I think it sounds very nice but couldn't say compared to the the Denon as I haven't heard it. M2 IEM is quite bassy I have read. The HM5 won't deliver in the same way. HM5 should be more neutral but you have the EQ on the E17 which seems pretty good to me. I got a clip plus a couple of days ago too. It delivers the bass with more impact than the E17 so you might take some getting used to a different delivery of the sound...I would think Clip + and M2 IEM will be quite different to E17 + Monitor style HP.

Thanks for your inputs. Do you mean to say E17 is more of Monitoring/analytical type of DAC?

I'm looking at many reviews including HM5, CAL, D2000 etc but I'm unable to conclude which will pair with E17 for more enjoyable/musical sound. I am thinking if CAL would be the right choice but no idea...

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #3,047 of 6,777
My feel is E17 is neutral to slightly warm but I admit little experience to make comparisons. There have been quite a few mentions of e17 being "bright" but I am not finding that myself.

E17 and HM5 has been sounding good to me across a range of genres -
Hip Hop
Electronica
Folk
Classic Rock
Soul
Reggae

Metallica : Master of Puppets has been the only thing I've listened to so far that has left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. I don't do a lot of metal though so I haven't been able to compare against other recordings yet. I also didn't play with the EQ and see if there was any improvement to be had there.

Not sure how well this relates to your preferred musical tastes.

The main thing that would worry me is you mentioned about poor quality recordings earlier. I feel like I'm getting quite a bit of detail so I would worry that you may hear more than you want to with that...

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #3,048 of 6,777

Quote:
Well the love was short lived. Already having an issue with the 3.5mm headphone jack. Random pops noises. I sent Miccastore an email for an exchange because I really do like this DAC.

Is anyone else having an issue with the Aux out on thier E17? I did some experimenting with it last night and it just seems to do it using the Aux out connected to the ipod. USB and S/PDIF seem fine.
The sound is just coming from the right side and sounds like some sort of mechanical noise. It's a very quiet popping and whoosh sort of noise.
Tried the headphones on other amps and with the E17 on different inputs and directly out of the touch to rule out the headphones. Also tried it with different headphones just to rule that out as well.
Sent Micca Store an email and unfortunately with the E17 being so in demand they cannot do an exchange...

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3,049 of 6,777

Quote:
Well the love was short lived. Already having an issue with the 3.5mm headphone jack. Random pops noises. I sent Miccastore an email for an exchange because I really do like this DAC.

Is anyone else having an issue with the Aux out on thier E17? I did some experimenting with it last night and it just seems to do it using the Aux out connected to the ipod. USB and S/PDIF seem fine.
The sound is just coming from the right side and sounds like some sort of mechanical noise. It's a very quiet popping and whoosh sort of noise.
Tried the headphones on other amps and with the E17 on different inputs and directly out of the touch to rule out the headphones. Also tried it with different headphones just to rule that out as well.
Sent Micca Store an email and unfortunately with the E17 being so in demand they cannot do an exchange...

No problem for me so far:) at first i thought i was having problem with only the left side of d5k producing a sound.. When i checked everything i realized that my headphone jack was not completely inserted.. Unlike my e7 i really had to push my jack down the same with aux. I think fiio dis this to make the connection more secure.

E17 rocks!!! Now my d5k can sing!!!

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #3,050 of 6,777

Quote:
E17 rocks!!! Now my d5k can sing!!!

Agreed. It is a great sounding DAC/amp. I hooked it up USB last night and was playing some 24/96 files through the V moda M-80 and was in audio heaven.
Also when I said the sound was only coming out of the right I meant the pop/whoosh sound. The music is playing fine out of both L/R.
Hopefully it resolves itself because I really don't want to send it back for refund. I'm loving this DAC.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3,052 of 6,777

Quote:
Try other headphones and note musical tracks. It could be a problem on your computer, USB cable, or headphones amongst others

Already have. I've done every combo I can with the equipment I own. The computer or USB isn't the issue. Those sound great. It has to be an issue with the Aux out on the E17. Headphones directly out of the ipod has no noise. Plug the ipod into the E17 I get noise, but it's just the right side. Maybe there is some manufacturing oils or something in the jack. I'll give it a day or two to see if it settles down.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #3,055 of 6,777

Quote:

Already have. I've done every combo I can with the equipment I own. The computer or USB isn't the issue. Those sound great. It has to be an issue with the Aux out on the E17. Headphones directly out of the ipod has no noise. Plug the ipod into the E17 I get noise, but it's just the right side. Maybe there is some manufacturing oils or something in the jack. I'll give it a day or two to see if it settles down.

Since you didn't mention this I guess I may as well give a shot.
Have you tried with different cables?
I know I've had some occasional trouble with my FiiO cables, but otherwise the AUX and USB both work flawlessly. Sometimes I do get scratching noise when using the E17 but as mentioned, it is usually the cable (FiiO or not) or my crappy 1/4" to 1/8" converter on the headphone side... reason why I don't use these as portables anymore. Until I get a better plug and a new LOD cable I always either get scratching sound or lose the right channel. I don't have anything that can do S/PIDF so that's the only stuff I've yet to try.
Another point I should mention is that the headphone jack on the E17 does not limit movements completely. It will keep the plug from moving in the plane where the left and ground channel have contact, but move it sideways (perpendicular to the contact plane) and you will get scratching noise. Thankfully it stills holds it VERY well, but it is a possibility, especially if the headphone jack is not built very well (like my stereo converter) or made a bit smaller.

I did find myself having trouble with the interface when my unit was low on power though. It kept telling me Low Power that it didn't let me use the menu... couldn't even turn on USB charging. Had to shut it down, let it charge for 2 seconds, and boot it again to turn USB charging on.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #3,056 of 6,777
Yes.. it's quite nice. I sometimes use the E17 with my MacBookAir & HE-400's when I'm away from my main rig. Given that, the HE-400's do sound better with a more upscale setup.

Edit: Haven't spent too much time with the  above config so I though that I would give it a serious listen.  Been listening MBA > E17 > HE-400 for the last half hour or so and it's really, really nice. Everything from Dead Can Dance, Patricia Barber, Enigma, AC/DC to U2 and Dire Straits (all Apple Lossless via iTunes).  For the money, the combo is a killer setup.

Quote:
Anyone using the e17 with the he400?

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3,057 of 6,777

Quote:
Hi all

I am curious about the E17 and the iPad2. Will it work together?

Thanks,

Yes it will "work". Will it bypass the iPad 2's DAC? No. You need a Camera Connection Kit first, and next you need a seperate source of power for the E17's plug(so like a powered usb hub) as the e17's power draw is larger than what the iPad supports. Some of those usb adapters that increase the voltage have been said to work but I do not know. 

The E17 will work with any device that outputs sound through a 3.5mm jack.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3,058 of 6,777

Quote:

Since you didn't mention this I guess I may as well give a shot.
Have you tried with different cables?
I know I've had some occasional trouble with my FiiO cables, but otherwise the AUX and USB both work flawlessly. Sometimes I do get scratching noise when using the E17 but as mentioned, it is usually the cable (FiiO or not) or my crappy 1/4" to 1/8" converter on the headphone side... reason why I don't use these as portables anymore. Until I get a better plug and a new LOD cable I always either get scratching sound or lose the right channel. I don't have anything that can do S/PIDF so that's the only stuff I've yet to try.
Another point I should mention is that the headphone jack on the E17 does not limit movements completely. It will keep the plug from moving in the plane where the left and ground channel have contact, but move it sideways (perpendicular to the contact plane) and you will get scratching noise. Thankfully it stills holds it VERY well, but it is a possibility, especially if the headphone jack is not built very well (like my stereo converter) or made a bit smaller.

I did find myself having trouble with the interface when my unit was low on power though. It kept telling me Low Power that it didn't let me use the menu... couldn't even turn on USB charging. Had to shut it down, let it charge for 2 seconds, and boot it again to turn USB charging on.

I was thinking about that too. I only have the L9. Maybe a better LOD will solve the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back