FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,018 of 6,777
Another noob question here :p

I read that it's good to run down the battery of the E17 every once in a while to keep the battery in good shape since im going to be using this thing only on my PC (usb). So if i have it plugged on my pc and have "USB CHG" off in settings, that means the battery is being used? Or is the power coming from my PC?

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #3,019 of 6,777

Quote:
Another noob question here :p

I read that it's good to run down the battery of the E17 every once in a while to keep the battery in good shape since im going to be using this thing only on my PC (usb). So if i have it plugged on my pc and have "USB CHG" off in settings, that means the battery is being used? Or is the power coming from my PC?

USB charge off means you are using the battery of the E17, you can have the USB cable plugged in as a connection to the computer but the USB won't charge the device. After your device runs out of power from it's battery. It will turn off, and despite whatever setting you were on, the device will charge again(out of battery so default state) and you can let it charge. AFter it's done charging you just turn USB CHG to off again. I don't have this problem as I use S/PDIF.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #3,020 of 6,777
Got mine tracking and will be here on Friday!! Question that is indirectly related. 

One aspect that I'm excited about it being able to use the e17 with my ipod or iphone and be portable. Questions:

1. Is all that I need an LOD for connection?

2. Much of my cd collection is now ripped to flac. Now I want to re-rip and get the best quality for the ipod. Is apple lossless the best?

thanks...

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3,021 of 6,777

Quote:
Got mine tracking and will be here on Friday!! Question that is indirectly related. 

One aspect that I'm excited about it being able to use the e17 with my ipod or iphone and be portable. Questions:

2. Much of my cd collection is now ripped to flac. Now I want to re-rip and get the best quality for the ipod. Is apple lossless the best?

thanks...

Keep in mind the DAC in the E17 will not bypass the DAC in the ipod so it will be an amp only with the ipod.
I like ALAC and can't tell the difference between it and FLAC.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #3,022 of 6,777

Quote:
power

thanks...

Yes all you need is a LOD. If you use a mini to mini cable you will be double amping which is frowned upon.

No need to re-rip. Just use DBpoweramp or something similar and convert to ALAC. There is no loss in quality when converting lossless files to another lossless format.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #3,023 of 6,777
The battery life on the Alpen is no joke. I have been using it since i got it on April 17th, and i still have not had to charge it!

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #3,024 of 6,777

Quote:
The battery life on the Alpen is no joke. I have been using it since i got it on April 17th, and i still have not had to charge it!

[size=medium]Really?[/size]
[size=medium]How many hrs usage?? I do not get more than 8hrs iphone->L9->E17->TF10[/size]

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #3,025 of 6,777

Quote:

[size=medium]How many hrs usage?? I do not get more than 8hrs iphone->L9->E17->TF10[/size]

iPhone 4>L9>E17>ATH-M50 and Asus G53sx laptop>USB>E17(charge set to off)>ATH-M50. My total run time, according to the system menu, says i have 3days 2 hours and 57 minutes of use on it. I use my Alpen probably 65% laptop and 35% iphone 4, and i am actually surprised at how long the battery has lasted for. I am looking at the battery bar and i still have 3 bars of charge left! I dont leave my Alpen plugged in to my computer when not in use, so i have no clue why that batter is lasting to long! There is no doubt i have used my Alpen for over 8 hours and battery is still strong.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #3,026 of 6,777

Quote:

iPhone 4>L9>E17>ATH-M50 and Asus G53sx laptop>USB>E17(charge set to off)>ATH-M50. My total run time, according to the system menu, says i have 3days 2 hours and 57 minutes of use on it. I use my Alpen probably 65% laptop and 35% iphone 4, and i am actually surprised at how long the battery has lasted for. I am looking at the battery bar and i still have 3 bars of charge left! I dont leave my Alpen plugged in to my computer when not in use, so i have no clue why that batter is lasting to long! There is no doubt i have used my Alpen for over 8 hours and battery is still strong.

The System run time from what I can tell just tells you the amount of time it's been(not use) since it last ran out of power. I got mine in January(late) and the Run time says 27 days. I have not used it for 27 days, but it sounds about right for the last time my device ran completely out of power....just a thought. I could and is probably wrong on. My device is fully charged at the moment, but I will come back tomorrow with more news on the run time.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #3,027 of 6,777

Quote:

Yes all you need is a LOD. If you use a mini to mini cable you will be double amping which is frowned upon.

No need to re-rip. Just use DBpoweramp or something similar and convert to ALAC. There is no loss in quality when converting lossless files to another lossless format.

Great...thanks for the info!!

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3,028 of 6,777

Quote:

Quote:

You must have set USB charging on, that way when it connected to Asus it is charging again.
I charge it to full, switch off USB charging and turn it back again for full charge, when I see one bar.

Li-ion Battery life is extended when we do full charge rather than partial charge, I read this long time back not able to recollect when and where

any suggestions!!!

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,029 of 6,777

Quote:

Keep in mind the DAC in the E17 will not bypass the DAC in the ipod so it will be an amp only with the ipod.
I like ALAC and can't tell the difference between it and FLAC.

So I will be stuck with the ipod dac no matter what? Well, ipod has a decent dac though right?

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #3,030 of 6,777

Quote:

So I will be stuck with the ipod dac no matter what? Well, ipod has a decent dac though right?

It has a decent one. It's not bad and it's not superior either, but it is better than most other universal devices out.

You can bypass the DAC however with an CLAS or HP-P1. CLAS has no internal amp(so you use your own) while HP-P1 does.

If done correctly there is no difference from a FLAC or ALAC of the same file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back