FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3,032 of 6,777

Quote:

So I will be stuck with the ipod dac no matter what? Well, ipod has a decent dac though right?

Correct. I think the ipod touch 4g sounds good. Not as good as my Rock Boxed Sansa, but it so minor IMO that I really don't notice and the touch has so many more features than the clip that my clip pretty much sees no use anymore. One thing I love about the touch is Pandora. I use it more than listening to my own files. The wifi reaches around the entire perimeter of my property so when I'm outside doing whatever I can flip through Pandora, add new stations... It's great. I don't think I would buy a DAP that didn't have it...

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #3,033 of 6,777

Quote:
Does the Cowen or some other media player allow use to use the dac of the e17 as well as play flac natively?

Does any PMP allow for the E17's DAC for use? Not that I know of, some Android devices MAY be able to..but highly unlikely.

First the Android device needs to support GTG, this is not on the majority of Android phone's, but thankfully since the people on head-fi are knowledgable, the majority of Android phone's in the forum are the one's that do have GTG on their phone's. Next you need Cyanogen or another distro. Cyanogen and the details of GTG are still sketchy, but even then, the USB draw power of the E17 is also a power. The USB draw of the E17 is so much that even the iPad with CCK won't allow connection unless you add another source of power or USB adapter that allows the device to draw more power is used. By that time your portable device would be as bulky as heck....with all the wire's poking out.

Many devices support FLAC natively. Rockboxed iPod's and most audiophile PMP's do. Keep in mind that a FLAC app is availble in the iOS app store, but I don't like to use things such as that.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #3,034 of 6,777

Quote:

You must have set USB charging on, that way when it connected to Asus it is charging again.
I charge it to full, switch off USB charging and turn it back again for full charge, when I see one bar.

Li-ion Battery life is extended when we do full charge rather than partial charge, I read this long time back not able to recollect when and where

any suggestions!!!

Hey everybody... I am new to this forum and am from Bangkok, Thailand. I got the E17 about 2 weeks ago and I must say that the E17 is AWESOME!! You can buy the E17 in Thailand for about USD130 and you will receive the E17 the next day after making payment.

As for your question, there is no memory effect for Li-ion batteries. So, it is safe to charge it whenever and partial charge does not really damage the battery.  For longevity, it is actually best to keep the charge between 20% and 80%.  If you are not going to use the battery for a period of time, it is actually best to keep it at about 40%-80% charged. Contrary to common belief, Li-ion batteries should not be depleted to 0% before re-charge.

Just saying.....

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #3,035 of 6,777
I was wondering if the battery indicator didn't work on my e17. I'm up to about 6 hours since I last charged it and it still shows full battery...definitely have USB charge set to Off. I expect it will just go down to empty rapidly when it starts moving.

Visanj...I have an OEM type of the HM5. I think it sounds very nice but couldn't say compared to the the Denon as I haven't heard it. M2 IEM is quite bassy I have read. The HM5 won't deliver in the same way. HM5 should be more neutral but you have the EQ on the E17 which seems pretty good to me. I got a clip plus a couple of days ago too. It delivers the bass with more impact than the E17 so you might take some getting used to a different delivery of the sound...I would think Clip + and M2 IEM will be quite different to E17 + Monitor style HP.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #3,036 of 6,777

Quote:
I was wondering if the battery indicator didn't work on my e17. I'm up to about 6 hours since I last charged it and it still shows full battery...definitely have USB charge set to Off. I expect it will just go down to empty rapidly when it starts moving.

Vasanj...I have an OEM type of the HM5. I think it sounds very nice but couldn't say compared to the the Denon as I haven't heard it. M2 IEM is quite bassy I have read. The HM5 won't deliver in the same way. HM5 should be more neutral but you have the EQ on the E17 which seems pretty good to me. I got a clip plus a couple of days ago too. It delivers the bass with more impact than the E17 so you might take some getting used to a different delivery of the sound...I would think Clip + and M2 IEM will be quite different to E17 + Monitor style HP.

Like any device...this is how the battery indicator works:

Quote:

Hey everybody... I am new to this forum and am from Bangkok, Thailand.

Let me be the first to welcome you (bkkcitiboi) to Head-Fi forums!
"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!"

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3,039 of 6,777
Well the love was short lived. Already having an issue with the 3.5mm headphone jack. Random pops noises. I sent Miccastore an email for an exchange because I really do like this DAC.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #3,040 of 6,777

Quote:

[size=medium]Really?[/size]
[size=medium]How many hrs usage?? I do not get more than 8hrs iphone->L9->E17->TF10[/size]

This, about 8 hours on iPhone or connected to xbox 360.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3,041 of 6,777
For those who are interested in prolonging the life of their Li-ion battery, this is an extract from an article in the internet :

1. A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

2. Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

3. Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

4. Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

5. Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

6. Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

7. Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost. 

The full article can be found here : http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3,042 of 6,777
Apr 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3,043 of 6,777

Quote:
Does the Cowen or some other media player allow use to use the dac of the e17 as well as play flac natively?

I just got a Galaxy S Fascinate today (woot back to Wolfson + Voodoo)  :D  Also purchased a Cowon J3 from a headfiier and eagerly waiting for this.

My fascinate came with a USB cradle/dock and it has line out!!

apparently some other galaxy S devices can use the same dock or other docks.  Line out was working fine until I installed Cyanogenmod 9 and Glitch Kernal (for Voodoo Sound to work with Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)  / CM9).   I haven't been able to get it to work yet---but CM7 and CM9 are supposed to allow bypassing of the DAC via usb somehow.

I can pretty safely say that I don't miss my iPod 5.5 gen....   My recollections of the GAlaxy S phone + voodoo was correct--it does give my TF10 noticeably better sound stage....even without an external amp.  The 5db amp that Voodoo provides is pretty brilliant...  and I guess I enjoy the warmer sound of Cowon? / Galaxy S/voodoo over the more cold sounding iPod 5.5g.  I'm pretty sure the iPod 5.5g is more analytical though.  

No looking back....my only regret is that the Fascinate doesn't have built in 16gb + memory card slot like the Captivate and Vibrant models do.  Luckily I got the 32gb J3 model in which I'll put my 16gb microSD and 32GB card into the Fascinate :D

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #3,045 of 6,777
I'm also using my VooDoo'd Fascinate with my E17 and loving it so far. I prefer it over my old Sony A728/PA2V2 combo.

And just for reference I'm using Beyer DT770/80's. Really happy with this setup.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back