FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 31, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #2,387 of 6,777
Is anyone that has the E17and isn't going to use the little rubber feet; wouldn't mind parting with them?  I'll send you an envelope with my address and a stamp.  Please PM me if you wouldn't mind doing it.  Mine didn't have them.  The Micca Store said they don't have any extra and I wasn't going to return it for missing rubber feet.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2,388 of 6,777
So quick, I have rececived my E17 already today.

I had to run so quickly tested it with iPod gen 5 video, wave file vocal song, UE TF10, LOD9. Em.... I cannot hear much different vs I play straight from iPod. Anyone know why?!

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #2,389 of 6,777
It is the reason I keep making. It matters on how much/far into audio are you. If you have good enoughyearsand ifyoucandifferentiate. The difference is clear to me but back when I started out into this realm of elitist audio I couldnt tell the difference either.

The problem could be that we have been getting new head fiers. This is the fourth new E17 arrival to happen. This one has a noticeable amount of new head fiers. Being a member doesnt mean much as you can also lurk, but being a member with rank shows you have been learning how to differentiate and what to hear apart,(if you go into those parts of the forums)

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,390 of 6,777

Quote:

I had to run so quickly tested it with iPod gen 5 video, wave file vocal song, UE TF10, LOD9. Em.... I cannot hear much different vs I play straight from iPod. Anyone know why?!

so I LOVE the UE TF10--and I find the DT880 250ohm to be the SAME (pretttty much, especially when amped).  Other people have said this same thing..  anyway... I find the TF10 to IMPROVE greatly even with JUST the wolfson DAC + voodoo sound control on my galaxy Nexus S phone.  I use the sound attenuator that comes with it and it's pretty much (again) the same as my dt880 250. 

I find even better result (by a slight margin) with my desktop hybrid tube amp (trends pa-10).   I have yet to try the little dot mk3...  I doubt they can be driven further....it's awesome.

From all the reviews and comparisons to which I can relate, I know the E17 SHOULD drive the TF10 to their fullest....  I have been in the market for a 5th gen iPod video (or 5.5th gen) because of the fact that it has a better Wolfson DAC and more HD capacity...probably better amp as well.   the 5th gen iPod is better than even the iPhone 4...  http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html

I think you're not hearing much of a difference because of the fact that your source (5th gen ipod) is pretty much THE best ipod there is. Compare how your ipod sounds + tf10 and your cell phone mp3 player....or some other mp3 player without a wolfson dac.  I'm pretty sure you're gonna hear a huge difference both in clarity and liveliness.  Before I heard the wolfson + voodoo, I had only previously been blown away by the TF10 and DT880........and was equally blown away when I added the wolfson DAC + amplification to these. 

I'm guessing that we're somewhat at the point of marginal return/benefit with these IEMs.  Unless you spend more than a thousand maybe on custom IEMs and upgrade to maybe the iMod (red wine audio mod $300) for your 5th gen iPod, you probably won't hear much gain. 

I'm curious to hear your thoughts as you compare with other mp3 players and other headphones since you're one of the first to say that it hasn't improved anything that you can hear. 

I believe it's because you've already experienced the huge improvement, and not because it isn't there :D

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #2,391 of 6,777
I guess it depends on the cans you're using. I've had knee problems for the past few months (going for surgery in May) and just couldn't get comfortable last night.  I took my MacBook Air into the bedroom, hooked up the E17 to my Senn HD650's, put some pillows under my knees and listened away in nirvana.  There is absolutely no way I would have had the same listening experience with the 650's plugged directly into the HP jack of the MBA.
Personally, for me, it's a no brainer with the 650's and all worth the $150. I started out being indifferent with it, though it was nice but the more I use it, the more I appreciate it. I've been through 5 amps/dacs in the last year.  For someone just starting their journey, the E10 or the E17 would be a great start for 'not so much money'. YMMV.
Given that.. I retract and say 'Highly Recommended'. 
smile.gif

Quote:
I'm not confronting you by the way if it feels that way. I have been mistaken many times before. I am just getting a point out that just telling somebody to buy this..considering it is $150 and .....still hard and uncertain to get one's hands on besides the fact that FiiO has probably churned out 10K of these already as they just finished their second batch presumably.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,392 of 6,777

Quote:
Is anyone that has the E17and isn't going to use the little rubber feet; wouldn't mind parting with them?  I'll send you an envelope with my address and a stamp.  Please PM me if you wouldn't mind doing it.  Mine didn't have them.  The Micca Store said they don't have any extra and I wasn't going to return it for missing rubber feet.

You can find feet for you E17 at your local Home Depot, Lowes and many other hardware stores.

Quote:

For some reason, the E17 needs lots of burn-in. Once it opens up, your eyes will be popping out of their sockets, similar to this Smiley.
atsmile.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2,393 of 6,777

Quote:
You can find feet for you E17 at your local Home Depot, Lowes and many other hardware stores.

For some reason, the E17 needs lots of burn-in. Once it opens up, your eyes will be popping out of their sockets, similar to this Smiley.
atsmile.gif

I didn't pay attention. This goes back into beliefs on whether solid state burn in exists and to what extent. I personally didn't hear much change. I think it's just getting used to it. Anyway it's great to always see SoundDreamer. I hate seeing people regret their purchase and it's great to see that SoundDreamer liked it :)

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #2,395 of 6,777
It depends on where you are and what gear you have. If you don't have pretentious gear, people say E10 make more sense. But also everyone agrees that the E17 is better. Only question is, is it worth paying maybe even double for that?

After you figure that out --> I found and ordered the E17 in stock in Europe. You can try at audiogarden.fr and digimania.be. From what I was told, ordered yesterday, on Tuesday I should get it, or something like that. Also, mp4nation got it, so I guess Asia is covered as well. And not sure about the US stocks.

Good luck, but most of all, enjoy your music! :)

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,396 of 6,777
so mp4nation's website shows that it's available for order....doesn't say anything about preorder.............what does this mean??????

I think I'm still gonna give my business to miccastore

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #2,397 of 6,777
Now I hear the difference between the iPod 5.5gen and using the E17. There is a definite better performance with the bass. It is much wider, deeper and does not go fuzzy at the lower frequency end of the bass. I still yet to hear the difference in treble. I m very satisfy with the improvement with the bass using the E17 :wink:

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #2,398 of 6,777
It's no longer on pre-order because they have them in stock. The pre-order option was only available before they received the shipment from Fiio (also, if you preordered, you had the option of FedEx shipping or the free gifts).

Mp4nation received the E17 Friday (I think), and shipped out some of the orders that day (mine was shipped out Friday...).

Quote:
so mp4nation's website shows that it's available for order....doesn't say anything about preorder.............what does this mean??????

I think I'm still gonna give my business to miccastore

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,400 of 6,777
For those interested, Head-Direct now has the E17 in stock.  It looks like they ship from within the U.S. so if you're leery of going with MP4Nation this might be a better alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back