FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2,416 of 6,777
Any iPhone 4S or New iPad users with sound apps here that also have experience with a flagship Android device with Wolfson and Voodoo want to say anything? I have the 4S and iPad 2 but am too lazy to load music or download/buy music apps for it. My portable pack is just my ipod and lod and amp.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,418 of 6,777
Yeah, it posted a little early. I ordered one even though I placed an order with MP4 Nation. I'm a little worried they will run out of stock before they ship my order and I'll have to wait another couple of months for the next batch from Fiio. If I can't cancel the original order I'll sell my extra one on here for $140 + shipping to where ever.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #2,419 of 6,777

Quote:
Any iPhone 4S or New iPad users with sound apps here that also have experience with a flagship Android device with Wolfson and Voodoo want to say anything? I have the 4S and iPad 2 but am too lazy to load music or download/buy music apps for it. My portable pack is just my ipod and lod and amp.

I have an iPad 2, just ordered the E17.....(micca store)! and got the PS Vita yesterday which I found out has a Wolfson in it!!  Of course you know I give 10/10 stars to Wolfson + Voodoo, but I sold my Nexus S yesterday also simply because it only has 16GB non-expandable memory and wanted to make use of my 32gb microSD...    Hopefully will either get a used 5.5th gen iPod (or 5th gen), or maybe a Cowon player to replace my favorite player.  With the E17 now, might use the ipad and laptop more as my source--we'll see.  I ordered

I'll report back what I think of the PS vita soon--  I also got the L1 and L8.  Hope I don't regret not getting L9....got the L1 because it's more flexible and read in a review that the L9 can be limiting on how to arrange your player and E17 and headphones since the ports are right next to each other.  I prefer L shaped plugs, though. I guess MIccastore is also bundling in a toslink to mini cable and adapter....  Not sure how I can use this if at all..........do i need something like a macbook pro with optical out to take advantage of this?  

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2,422 of 6,777
Question is if the circuitry intergration and how its implemented and what type of wolfson is on the vita, is it better than your Nexus!

L1 does not use the HPC 22W wire used in L3 and L9.

Thanks . I told them to change my order to the L9...hopefully they catch it on time .

So how can I use the toslink to mini cable and adapter? With any devices that I have right now?

FYI ps vita has LOD via the $20 chargging cradle......and it's a wolfson WM1803E

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #2,423 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks . I told them to change my order to the L9...hopefully they catch it on time .
So how can I use the toslink to mini cable and adapter? With any devices that I have right now?
FYI ps vita has LOD via the $20 chargging cradle......and it's a wolfson WM1803E

IT's good to do research :)

The Toslink to mini toslink adapter and the cable you will get from Micca is only for if you have a computer with S/PDIF out through toslink on your computer. If your windows PC does not have it, then you are out of luck. If you have an Apple Macbook..that is current. Then you are in luck.

How good the Line Out is also matters. All the circuitry, resources allocated and what not really change it. The Line out medium of the Vita may not be high quality. Most on Head-Fi have not tested it yet. 

The model of the Wolfson is good to note, but like most devices. It is one that was never documented with little info on it. The closest model documented Wolfson is this one
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM1811/

Again a low power model. I think the "E" at the end is for energy saving. Whatever it may be, be it low power or not as low power doesn't mean bad. We need testing to know if it is good or not.

My video's on Head-Fi should cover most use of the E17. Check out the E17 section on Head-fi, my video is linked. Searching my account on youtube also works.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #2,424 of 6,777
Thanks. I'll look for optical port on my wife's MacBook air.

As for vita.. Haven't tried it yet with music but so far the headphone port with my tf10 sounds very very clean like I've experienced with my nexus s. :)

By the way micca store got my message and changes order to the L9
And it shipped already! I ordered it at 9am pst today . They promised it would ship in 1 to 2 business days....

LOVE it when a company under promises and over delivers......really glad I got from micca and cancelled mp4nation.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,425 of 6,777
So, I've got an E9 for several months now, and have been loving it so far. 

I should be receiving my E17 in the near future, and I plan to pair it up with the E9 and my Beyerdynamic DT880, but I have a few questions regarding connectivity.

The only digital input in the E9 is USB, which I'd draw from the onboard Realtek something something chip on my Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo, but is it possible to use the SPDIF "in" on the E17 and still use the amp circuitry of the E9? I can't see why I shouldn't be able to do it that way, but I haven't come across anyone else who have done it that way, so I'm not 100% sure if it's possible. Anyone with knowledge and/or the E9/E17 combo who can help me out?

If so, I plan on getting a proper sound card to get the better audio chip instead of using the motherboard and its questionable audio output capabilities.

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,426 of 6,777
@hyogen
My only qualm was with tracking. It was not miccas failt, but it was bas tracking. Dont get scared if tracking isnt moving. It will arrive in the days they specified :) The tshirt remember is in Asian sizes. If your American size is an medium then you need a large. The tshirts design is a bit childish/feminine at times but i like to wear it. Great you got it changed. The L1 "technically" has a lower quality cable. The difference is unknown to me as i cant compare but the L3 or L9 should be bought. L9 if you want the L shape and "L3 for an upgraded L1 variant. The price difference is small to the point where i dont even care. L1 i dont ever recommend, because rhe upgraded japanese thicjer cables are bucks more

@khan775
You should be able to use spdif through e17 with it plugged into e9 as your input method.

Usb and spdif does not really matter or deal with your audio card. Your audio chip may add effects to the SPDIF LPCM stream but most dont add any effects . The ports and circuitry and how data goes from hdd to the port could have an effect IF it is bad, but this rarely happens

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #2,427 of 6,777
Actually, they will run the HD650's.  Only after a lot of burn in did I really come to appreciate the E17 with the HD650's.  Just give it some time.  BTW, my fain seeing is 0 and I run the volume anywhere from 33 to 57.  As far as I'm concerned, its not a bad start.

Quote:
Will this amp run the hd650 on high gain setting? People are always talking about how the hd650 is so demanding.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,428 of 6,777
Mp4nation still has not shipped out my order... I ordered mine over 2 months ago, and i still haven't gotten the tracking email. I won't be buying through them again.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2,429 of 6,777
Mp4nation still has not shipped out my order... I ordered mine over 2 months ago, and i still haven't gotten the tracking email. I won't be buying through them again.

Cancel and order through micca. I ordered this morning,.... They shipped today..... Een upgraded my L1 to L9 for free.........

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #2,430 of 6,777
How long does shipping take through miccastore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back