FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #2,357 of 6,777

Quote:
Good news for all of you that Pre-ordered from MP4NATION, Fiio sent the shipment out to them. Woo hoo, maybe ill get mine by mid April !? =)

http://www.fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?ID=197&page=1

I asked mp4nation earlier this week about shipment status, and they said my order would ship at the end of this week; hopefully it'll go out today?!

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #2,360 of 6,777

Quote:
For UKites, I just ordered from hifiheadphones. Their shipment arrived today. Yay!

Haha bloody typical, they were out of stock when I checked this morning! Although in exchange for the delay while I wait for amp3 to get stock and deliver, I did get 5% off from a voucher and 5% cash back from quidco, so swings and roundabouts =P

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #2,361 of 6,777
Quote:
Ordered from mp4nation, preorder 2.

Received fedex email today. They are finally on their way.

Quote:

I asked mp4nation earlier this week about shipment status, and they said my order would ship at the end of this week; hopefully it'll go out today?!

Mine also shipped today (March 30th).

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #2,363 of 6,777
I was trying to hold out until Micca or one of the US dealers got stock but couldn't resist and bit on MP4 Nation. I didn't want to chance missing the random window when Micca posts the e17 on their site like did twice before. Now, more waiting since I chose their standard 4-20 day shipping.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2,365 of 6,777
Will get mine on Monday, WOW

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2,367 of 6,777
Does anyone know if the e17 is notably better than the e10?

One other question, when using an amp like this one, do you turn up the volume all the way on the amp and use the computer's volume controls, or do you turn up the computer's controls and use the amp's volume controls... or does it even matter? Thanks

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #2,368 of 6,777

Quote:
Does anyone know if the e17 is notably better than the e10?

One other question, when using an amp like this one, do you turn up the volume all the way on the amp and use the computer's volume controls, or do you turn up the computer's controls and use the amp's volume controls... or does it even matter? Thanks

^The reviews on the E17 all adress differences with the E17. I don't have personal experience but if you have the money to suplement an E17 and can see yourself using it. Why not?

For use with a computer through AUX in/USB/or S/PDIF it is best to turn all volumes on your computer to 100%. If you are watching a video or on youtube or using itunes or foobar make sure the volume is also 100%. Disable all the extra stuff or if your audio driver is sound checking or lowering the sound. You can disable all the Dolby Stuff too, it's usually not enabled but I find that it is not good. Only the one's that you pay extra for externally have good Dolby. The E10 or E7 used to just disable the Computer controls to "help" us audiophiles out on this and set it to 100% but some beginners didn't know why it was like that and thought it was broken or didn't like to do that so FiiO just added/ let you have control of volume on your computer if you would like to change it. Just set it to 100% and control the rest with the E17

For use with an portable music player that isn't an ipod or doesn't have a liine out option. It is best to set it on 0 Gain(if it lets you set gain's) with no volume boosting aditives(if it has any) and set volume to max and using AUX in control volume with E17

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,369 of 6,777
just a quick question regarding DACs...I have read the macbook pro's dac is very good.  Does anyone know about the Macbook Air?  (newer gen--not the latest)

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #2,370 of 6,777

Quote:
just a quick question regarding DACs...I have read the macbook pro's dac is very good.  Does anyone know about the Macbook Air?  (newer gen--not the latest)

You should open up ifix it and look around or search previous model(2010) DAC's and compare. You should be in the green if it is a Cirrus Logic but as they use un documented model numbers. The world may never know.

The one's used in Mac's are good. Compared to everything else out there. For a chip that comes standard and allows for optical out....it is a good chip in that sense. I enjoy it a lot. It could be the amplifier or circuitry but the sound comming from the Mac has a bit of a warm feeling. Not like Wolfson's, a bit muddier and looser and not as audiophile but it has that distinct warm feeling and sound that Wolfson's are known for. Not as good as a Wolfson but if you have no money, it's already very good :) The Macbook Pro's also have a amp that puts out quite some power :) Not a whole lot but enough :)

If you have the money and believe you are now able to discern the difference between the sounds then I say go for it.

Make sure to buy from a place that is easily returnable if you want to get the E17. This is for in case you don't like it or can't tell the difference and wouldn't care to spend money.

You still haven't gotten it yet? You've been here asking for a while and you even came up to me on Youtube so I assumed you had already did :/

Anyway, back to just lurking. I'll post again when someone has another question...which is happening more frequently now as more and more are getting the device in. I believe 10K should have been made by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back