FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2,342 of 6,777
Yes bowei, but I live in a small room, and have a small desk. Plus, if I would go to a trip, I would take the secondary cans with me, and not the expensive, special stuff. :) Probably I would use the Audez'e 1 day per week, on Sunday, for 1 hour, after going to Church, have taken a fresh shower, and did not eat for 3 days, to have my spirit pure. Exagerations, of course, as I would listen to them daily, but you got the point. :)

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,343 of 6,777

Quote:
Yes bowei, but I live in a small room, and have a small desk. Plus, if I would go to a trip, I would take the secondary cans with me, and not the expensive, special stuff. :) Probably I would use the Audez'e 1 day per week, on Sunday, for 1 hour, after going to Church, have taken a fresh shower, and did not eat for 3 days, to have my spirit pure. Exagerations, of course, as I would listen to them daily, but you got the point. :)

that would be great but again the issue is power. I'm worried the E17 does not have enough power to properly drive the Audeueze's to a proper volume

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,344 of 6,777

Quote:
You don't have to be sorry. I agree with you. That was my main concern for the E17 (it's dac compared to E7's dac) and gave ClieOS a msg, which he told me to expect more details and something else improving.

Then recently I acquired a Keces dac and wow, good components and circuit design does make a difference, big big difference...

Oh, that post wasn't directed at you. It was directed at another member who said that the DAC on both of the Fiios would sound the same. Which is bologna.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2,345 of 6,777
Well either case I agree with you on how the components and how they are applied will greatly affect the sound coming out from the DAC chip.

Quote:
Oh, that post wasn't directed at you. It was directed at another member who said that the DAC on both of the Fiios would sound the same. Which is bologna.

Back on the current topic,
If you took the 'one step to the heavens' approach for the headphones, why don't you consider the same for your amp? If I were you and I only have this certain amount of cash, I would actually buy the best amp I can and use it to test out different headphones, because I know every headphone I purchase now will be driven at their full potential.

Buying LCD2 with a E17 is like... Buying a brand new Ferrari with cheap tyres, fueling it with ethanol, you get the idea.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #2,346 of 6,777
Adrian, first of all thank you for your response. 

Now, a little explaining to do: I can't carry an amp around with me, set it up in shops, and listen. Or not all that often. With the headsets it's the same thing, although I would be highly reluctant to get out of the house with the LCD-2's. And while a good amp is nice to have(probably, since I'm new to the technicalities of hi-fi), it's mostly boring to look at, without good quality headphones. I can listen to the headphones, at least. 

Another thing is I need to listen to this setup for the next 2-3 years, because I have expenses comming up that will basicly spread for that long. And for FULL disclosure, my gf will move in, and GOOD LUCK explaining then 700 euros spent on either cans or an amp. Not that I wouldn't be able to do it, but one always has to take into consideration the retaliation for such an expense. If I would spend such an amount again, with her here, it would be impossible to stop her spending spree's, as I'm the ussual "cool head". The cans actually are almost a 1 time luxury for me.

Got it? :D

Comming back: Budget of 900 euros, E17 as candidate for DAC+AMP, mp3's from the laptop (so the source is complete crap, hence need for DAC as well) and for the future flacs, no space for bulky hardware, LCD-2 and HE-500/400 got my attention for a nice bass, good detail, clear voices, ability to not lose quality at low volume because I listen at the lowest volume possible, warm-ish & musical sound. I will take musicality, cute bass and easy understanding of words in the lyrics sang OVER opera and classical music reproduction any time. So to finish up, I want the headphones with the stongest emotions, and definately no the analytical type.

Please help me out. :)

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #2,347 of 6,777
To get an adeuqate one time amp and dac purchase i would recommend posting this in the summit fi forums. You should only trust stuff that people also own. Most of us here dont have summit fi level geadphones. Summit fi is just above headphones in the forum list i believe. They will be able to provide you with units that synthesize well, based of their own personal experience

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2,350 of 6,777

Quote:
Thank you, you've been most helpful! Will direct my questions towards the appropriate area. 

On another level, E17 in stock in France and Belgium. Yummy!

Where, please? :)

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2,351 of 6,777
Good news for all of you that Pre-ordered from MP4NATION, Fiio sent the shipment out to them. Woo hoo, maybe ill get mine by mid April !? =)

http://www.fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?ID=197&page=1

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2,353 of 6,777
Just an update of the weak red LED after charging 4hrs+ (in case anybody is interested or has encountered it).

I think when not charging and plugged into usb, there's always a weak red light (even the usb charging is turned off). But you have to be in a very dark place to notice it (that's why I saw it when charging it thru my "very nice capdase usb adapter" lol). Anyone care to try theirs? :)

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #2,354 of 6,777
How's the DAC section compared to the Audioengine D1? They're both similarly priced with the D1 costing $30 more, only one is portable and the other isn't.
I'm asking this because I want a reasonably sized dac/amp combo for my laptop. I have my HP-P1 as a full portable setup. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #2,355 of 6,777
Ordered from mp4nation, preorder 2.

Received fedex email today. They are finally on their way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back