FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,801 of 6,777
Do you mean DAC only? so E17 to an amp you would need a Fiio L7 would would give you a line level out. But if you are using the DAC/Amp all you need to do is plug in the usb/optical/coaxial and choose the correct input.

I

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,802 of 6,777

Quote:
Just do double check, the instructions are a tiny bit confusing. To use the E17 as a DAC I use the Optical cable?

DAC means Digital/Analog Conversion, so if you input a digital signal (optical, USB, coax) the DAC will convert it into analogue and pass it out the headphone jack. So, you're correct. :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,803 of 6,777
And it's here! Been playing with it... watching Demolition Man on Blu-ray right now, Twister is next. :)

My K702's aren't here yet, so I'm using my Bose On-Ear headphones. I'm using optical out from my laptop (I only have 1 USB2 port, and though digital out works through a small unpowered hub, the optical is just as easy. I have a usb-to-AC adapter to power the E17.)

Aux in sounds good through my headphones. Direct from the laptop sounds just a little 'flatter' but still good. Either source easily drives the On-Ears. Digital in sounds a bit more 'crisp' (that includes both optical and USB) and the bass has a bit more thump although sustained bass seems to sound about the same. I still get a bit of blairing in the vocal range, which I think is from the headphones. I'll be able to see about that when the K702's come in.

I've tried aux in on the E17 from a Sirius/XM reciever, and it DEFINITELY improves the sound. My Ipod 8G gets a big boost in sound quality as well.

Update: went up to gain +6. Demolition man was a bit better than without the E17 - I noticed things in the background that I don't remember hearing before. (I watch that one a LOT.) Twister was full of background sounds. Base was rich, voices sounded natural (although still some blare when they shout.) Faint music in the background was still clear and 'bright.'

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,804 of 6,777
I just checked my tracking number, it says my item was delivered today at 3:22 p.m. my roommate was home whole day he's in his 60s, he has heard no knocking on the door. im living 9 months in this place not a single item was misdelivered. question: What?

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,805 of 6,777

Quote:
I just checked my tracking number, it says my item was delivered today at 3:22 p.m. my roommate was home whole day he's in his 60s, he has heard no knocking on the door. im living 9 months in this place not a single item was misdelivered. question: What?

Just to make sure you aren't making the same mistake as me, did you check your mail box? 

I thought it was going to be delivered to my door but I was wrong completely

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,807 of 6,777
i didn't just check it, I was dancing around the damn thing for an hour or so. I asked all the neighbors around noone even seen the damn delivery guy. my roommate was waiting for package too, he would've heard knocking (they always knock when deliver stuff) i receive mail like weekly, why the F this specific one is absent!?

sorry guys i'm just really frustrated about this :frowning2: i was waiting for this thing for it since the release info came out... i dont know what to do at this point, but personally i want to thank miccastore for the "great" usps shipping options.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,808 of 6,777
Got my E17 today... just played my first few songs on it actually. iPod to DT770 Pro 80ohm, haven't used the optical in yet. I never really felt like there was any "clouding" over my highs before, but man did I notice the difference as soon as I plugged it in. On the low end I clearly notice the difference in things like taiko drums and on the high end I can clearly pick out claps keeping the beat. It's actually scaring me somewhat that this isn't even using the E17's DAC. If you're looking for some test tracks, I think exotic instruments are the name of the game with this little bundle of joy, though maybe that's because I've never heard a real-life taiko drum before :D

Overall, VERY pleased with this thing.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,809 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hehe, yes I will give the e17 a shot.  So, digital out for android......that WOULD be through microUSB, right? 

Yes, digital out for Android with CM7 or modified ICS 4.0.3 kernel would be through microUSB.

wow...  and you can still do the Voodoo sound for wolfson dac in certain phones that have them?  (for when you don't use an external dac)

EDIT:  found the answer to my question.  You CANNOT use it.  http://www.galaxyforums.net/forum/samsung-fascinate-roms/4287-voodoo-control-2-1-1-compatiable-cm7.html

I will probably just not get the CM7.  Since it IS my phone...and it's much easier to not pair it with a DAC everytime I want to listen to music. 

One more thing to add......Just tried the TripleFi 10 with my Nexus S phone.............WOWWWW.  Where did the soundstage come from????   Before trying it on this new phone, I had already thought (opinion shared with at least one other headfiier) that the DT880 sounds just like the open full size headphone version of the TripleFi 10...........   Now it sounds even more the same.  Almost indistinguishable to me (it is 4AM....).  I'm hearing a very significant improvement in soundstage for these IEMs........

I feel like I'm set for life even before this E17 arrives....hahah

Wow, this head-fi thing is like a full time job...   Just wanted to add I am using 5db amplification via voodoo control on my wolfson dac phone.  It sounds AMAZING like I said.  Since I don't think I'll be downloading FLAC anytime soon and don't have the time right now to do that or replace my library with higher quality files.....  I seriously am questioning whether I should get the E17 anymore.  Another important thing is I really don't listen to music on my computer at all..... Even if I have my computer or Ipad, I usually just listen through my phone/mp3 player.  So, since I have this blow-my-socks off improvement with not only what I find is THE most ideal set of headphones and IEMs (dt880 250ohm and Triplefi 10) which I thought were 150-200% improvements in my opinion........and now DOUBLE the improvement with switching to a good DAC.......      

I think I'll cancel my order, wait around for the next best thing that'll blow the E17 out of the water......     and get a pair of headphones for my dad.  It's his birthday today :)  

Sorry if any of you were anticipating my review with the DT880 (250).  I have probably spent well over 100 hours researching and obsessing on these boards just in the last 2 weeks.  I'll for sure come back with more time and money than ever in the future and hope to see you guys and the rest of this amazing community in the future.  I've got WAY more important things on my plate...........     For now, Sionara!!!!

Please check out the links in my signature for 2 of my favorite genres of music which I can't live without and perhaps you'll find amazing as well.  More about me:  www.youtube.com/hyogen82     There...I've left my mark.  :)  LAST POST UNTIL I ACHIEVE A HUGE GOAL I'M WORKING TOWARDS.  

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,811 of 6,777
Just FYI - To switch to 96/24 on Mac OSX, go to Audio MIDI Setup.  Took me awhile to figure it out.

Just got my E17 today, and I'm so happy with it!!!  This is my first DAC/amp, and to have it portable too is oh so important for me.  The sound sounds much sweeter, soundstage has improved significantly with it.  I kept unplugging my headphones from the E17 to plug it directly into the MBP or iphone 4 for some A/B testing, and the sound on those devices is just bloated and noisy (like all the instruments were crammed together in a closet and someone decided to play it).  Especially the IP4.  That's the only way I can describe it.  Tested it with my Klipsch S4 and HM3, and they both benefit immensely from it.  The device was also smaller than I expected, which is a huge plus.

Thanks to Micca Store too for such speedy delivery and great packaging.  I love the t-shirt!  I am going to wear it tomorrow to show it off.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #1,812 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks to Micca Store too for such speedy delivery and great packaging.  I love the t-shirt!  I am going to wear it tomorrow to show it off.

I appreciated the optical cable very much. And as far as FiiO goes, I never recieved a product and thought 'now THAT'S how you make a box' before. :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,813 of 6,777
You guys remind me of us first batcher. :D if you look about 60 pages back.. everything you guys are learning, posting about and what not and cool t shirts and cables was alldone :D nostalgia. it's great just thought it'd add that

RoadKam- im guessing you don't own an Apple iPhone? They spend millions and have their own wing to build boxes and organize it in such a way that yells..this is it. when you opne it

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #1,814 of 6,777
Hello all,

First time poster,

Just want to comment on the Fiio E17 that I've just recieved here in Adelaide Australia.

Purchased it on Ebay through SoundSightFocus (A company in Narwee NSW). 

Purchased on the 20th of Feb and came in on 24th of Feb, very quick in my opinion. 

Brief Background: I had just upgraded my headphones from the Razor Carcharias to Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and decided to upgrade my sound card in the PC.

I had a Creative XFI Xtreme Music card which I got from the UK a few years ago from Ebay and I admit the sound was great back then!

Present Day: Anyway, I got on to a lot of forums and found HeadFi (Yes, say goodbye to your wallet!). Never fully understood the world of Dac's and Amp's I started my research!

I searched the forum's and felt there was a few people in the same position as me who were feeling unsure about an alternative to PC sound card's, so I decide to the plunge!

Yes I could have grabbed an Asus ST/STX or Creative Tit HD but I wanted to go a different direction, so I went with the Fiio E17.

Conclusion:  Done the whole unboxing and setup that everyone has probably seen, plugged her in to the computer and ran it through her paces!

I listen to various music from Classical, Rock, Pop, electronic, using mainly FLAC files.

Sound quality compared to the Xtreme Music was overall a big improvement! 

The sound was full and warm! I immediately felt like I was listening to (what I describe as) a high end Hifi system!

It's very reassuring as I come from a Creative product to something totally different as in the Fiio and be in awe about what I'm hearing.

The Fiio sounds like a professional athlete compared to say an amateur running a marathon, well paced full of energy and doing what it loves doing, where as the Creative was more like a weekend warrior!

One of the best things was setup, those who have a Creative product are aware of the software you're presented with when you install your card!

Fiio was "Plug and Play", plug her in to a USB port - Windows detects new device, installing drivers - Drivers installed - and that's it!

I actually can't wait to uninstall all the creative drivers/programs/misc software off my computer and remove the Xtreme Music! 

Wow I feel the decision I made was a good step for me and feel what others have said about the E17 reflect correctly based on what I've experienced! (Thanks Headfi!)

The Fiio is here to stay,

I wanted to keep this short, but if you got any questions I'll be happy to answer. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #1,815 of 6,777
So after 5 hours of listening to the Fiio E17, 

I feel....underwhelmed. Maybe just being a new at all this audiophile stuff, It just can't justify the price tag for me at the moment. Using a Dt770 80ohm. Connected through the optical cable. 

The sound is clearer, not super noticeably but its there by a very small amount to me. Maybe I just expected too much at the moment. Going to hold onto it and see what else it can do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back