FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #1,772 of 6,777
Wait a second, so Android does have digital out? By using CyanogenMod7? In other words, if i flashed CM7 on my HTC Desire HD, plugged the E17 to my Desire HD, then the DAC and amp from the E17 will be utilized?

The cellphone needs to have the hardware for digital-out in the first place. You can buy a rocket engine that can push you to the moon, but putting it in truck doesn't make it a space shuttle.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #1,773 of 6,777

Quote:
I just want to make sure other who read the post understand what exactly is the meaning of 'smoother' power, that's all.
wink.gif

Ah hah. So if a E11 can run 250ohm headphones (say, hyogen's DT880s) then the E17 can fully drive them as well? He'll be using the 'analog in' out of his Nexus phone, as I understand it.

@hyogen - if your setup is driving 250ohm DT880s anywhere near as well as it does earbuds (TripleFi 10) then I'm thinking the E17 will drive the headphones even better. :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,774 of 6,777

Quote:
The cellphone needs to have the hardware for digital-out in the first place. You can buy a rocket engine that can push you to the moon, but putting it in truck doesn't make it a space shuttle.

I actually laughed out loud at your anology. I drive a truck, and the visual I got is a flatbed trailer hauling a rocket engine when it accidentally went off and put he truck into orbit. :) (White knuckle driving for sure! Heavy Metal anyone?)

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #1,775 of 6,777
Android devices micro usb. I dont think are too audiophile. And like i said before DAC devices have a USB draw power.... If the ipad wont allow it, i doubt ur android devices will at risk fo fryingg or destroying the batter. If u can flash and mod it why not remove limitations? Limitations r there for a reason. Yes i agree that u should get a bit more juice out an just go past limitations by a bit but when the e17s power draw is twice apple ipads cck limitations..... Twice is a big.. ThingT

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #1,777 of 6,777

Quote:
Hmm i see. So i guess for portable music listening it's just better to get a good mp3 player with a good dac/amp built in, and leave the portable dac/amps like the E17 for desktops/laptops?

mp3 player with digital out would be ideal for the E17 with decent earbuds or good quality small headphones I would think, (very portable with excellent sound) if there ARE mp3 players with digital out?

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,779 of 6,777

Quote:
I'm just reposting this, I guess, but again, advancedmp3players seems to have stock of the E17.

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/Gadgets.4/FiiO.406/E17/FiiO_E17_Portable_Headphone_Amplifier_with_USB_Digital_Audio_Convertor__DAC_.13679.html

It's a bit pricier, but they can ship international, too.

Never mind. Just an update to this. Advancedmp3players just emailed me saying that the E17 was out of stock by the time I ordered it. I canceled my order. Guess I'll wait until stock situation is completely cleared up before making this decision again.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #1,780 of 6,777
I'm pretty sure if Android ebook readers can do digital out over USB then almost any Android device should be able to. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The OS just needs to send out the audio in a way the USB device can understand, rather than trying to plug in like a flash drive to a PC. My $99 made in China Android tablet could even read/write data over USB, and it's the cheapest device I've ever seen running Android.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,783 of 6,777

I'm pretty sure if Android ebook readers can do digital out over USB then almost any Android device should be able to. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The OS just needs to send out the audio in a way the USB device can understand, rather than trying to plug in like a flash drive to a PC. My $99 made in China Android tablet could even read/write data over USB, and it's the cheapest device I've ever seen running Android.

The function is called 'USB on-the-go' (or OTG for short). The Android device must have that kind of USB chip (an USB on-the-go I/O chip that capable of hosting) built in to have that function. Most Android cellphone don't have that. They only have a USB receiver chip that can't host a slave device. The reason why most cellphone (including iPhone) don't have OTG is because OTG sucks out a lot of power, so it makes more sense to have it on tablet than on cellphone. It is not as easy as flipping a few switch in the OS.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,784 of 6,777
Don't be dumb like me.

I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night.  I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out.  I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed.   When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing.  So I tried another USB cable and USB input.  Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds.  So I try the reset, still nothing.   Do you know the E17 has a hold button.  Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button.  LOL

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #1,785 of 6,777

Quote:
Don't be dumb like me.

I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night.  I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out.  I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed.   When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing.  So I tried another USB cable and USB input.  Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds.  So I try the reset, still nothing.   Do you know the E17 has a hold button.  Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button.  LOL

I'm taking notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back