FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 24, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #1,756 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
I plan on this exact set-up in the future. Except maybe with the LD MKIII, aye or nay? 

Lyr or LD MKIII - either one will drive the HD650 acceptably. Myself, I'm just not a fan of tube amps. I haven't listened to a lot of them, but it seems that I'm only happy when I hear the > $1000 systems. For that kind of cash, I'll stick with a nice neutral solid state amp. The warmer sound of tube amps just doesn't appeal to me, but again, that's my personal opinion based on my ears and brain. In no way should it influence what you decide to try to improve your listening station - to each their own! 
smily_headphones1.gif

does the lyr or ldmkiii drive your dt770 250s any better than they do the hd650? 

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #1,757 of 6,777
Received my Fiio E17 today and wow what a great product. Paired with my alienware m18x, Ipad2, iPhone4 and pro700mk2 phones the sound is amazing and in my opinion leaps ahead of my old nuforce udac2. My bass heavy headphones now have more amazing tactile bass! And the mids & treble and sound stage is great. Defiantly recommend this DAC/Amp

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #1,759 of 6,777

Quote:
hehe, yes I will give the e17 a shot.  So, digital out for android......that WOULD be through microUSB, right? 

Yes, digital out for Android with CM7 or modified ICS 4.0.3 kernel would be through microUSB.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #1,762 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
hehe, yes I will give the e17 a shot.  So, digital out for android......that WOULD be through microUSB, right? 

Yes, digital out for Android with CM7 or modified ICS 4.0.3 kernel would be through microUSB.

wow...  and you can still do the Voodoo sound for wolfson dac in certain phones that have them?  (for when you don't use an external dac)

EDIT:  found the answer to my question.  You CANNOT use it.  http://www.galaxyforums.net/forum/samsung-fascinate-roms/4287-voodoo-control-2-1-1-compatiable-cm7.html

I will probably just not get the CM7.  Since it IS my phone...and it's much easier to not pair it with a DAC everytime I want to listen to music. 

One more thing to add......Just tried the TripleFi 10 with my Nexus S phone.............WOWWWW.  Where did the soundstage come from????   Before trying it on this new phone, I had already thought (opinion shared with at least one other headfiier) that the DT880 sounds just like the open full size headphone version of the TripleFi 10...........   Now it sounds even more the same.  Almost indistinguishable to me (it is 4AM....).  I'm hearing a very significant improvement in soundstage for these IEMs........

I feel like I'm set for life even before this E17 arrives....hahah

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #1,765 of 6,777
As for the E11 having more power i remember that Mike @ headfonia and CLEIOS had the same thought on what that meant..but what does more power mean to both of them. i got CLIEOS to elaborate
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-7-1-amps-compared/30#post_8164279

Quote CLEIOS:
As I have somewhat mentioned in my E17 review - E11 has more control and power when in low gain setting, E17 is doing better in higher gain setting.

..i think it means that they like the E11 due to it's smoother power in the 6dB range(E11 has no 0dB) but overal the E17 has more power
E17 is 215mW @ 32 ohms
E11 is 200mW @ 32 ohms

the above numbers are when both are set on 12dB gain mode

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #1,766 of 6,777
Quote:
Well, placed an order last night from advancedmp3players and just got an email this morning saying it is out of stock.
angry_face.gif

Same.

I made a pre-order enquiry a couple of weeks ago. They then emailed me yesterday telling me the item was now in stock. The product page told me the item was in stock. I purchased the item and was still told it was in stock. This morning I receive an email telling me it is now out of stock.

Absolutely ******* unreal. I thought I'd finally managed to get my hands on this item and now this happens.

I have now paid for 2 units, one from mp4nation and one from advancedmp3players, and received nothing.

Honestly never had so much hassle trying to purchase a single item. I've tried to remain patient but after this I'm so pissed off right now.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #1,767 of 6,777
Same.

I made a pre-order enquiry a couple of weeks ago. They then emailed me yesterday telling me the item was now in stock. The product page told me the item was in stock. I purchased the item and was still told it was in stock. This morning I receive an email telling me it is now out of stock.

Absolutely ******* unreal. I thought I'd finally managed to get my hands on this item and now this happens.

I have now paid for 2 units, one from mp4nation and one from advancedmp3players, and received nothing.

Honestly never had so much hassle trying to purchase a single item. I've tried to remain patient but after this I'm so pissed off right now.

Just got an email saying it should be back in stock on the 29th... Hmmm!

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #1,768 of 6,777
..i think it means that they like the E11 due to it's smoother power in the 6dB range(E11 has no 0dB) but overal the E17 has more power
E17 is 215mW @ 32 ohms
E11 is 200mW @ 32 ohms

the above numbers are when both are set on 12dB gain mode

Lets put to it straight - in low gain, I mean E11 and E17 are both in +6dB (0dB will be NO gain at all). In high gain, they are both + 12dB.

Measurement I did in the past shows that E11 is capable of delivering more power to a fixed 47ohm load than E17 in low gain. But in high gain, E17 has more power.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #1,770 of 6,777
I just want to make sure other who read the post understand what exactly is the meaning of 'smoother' power, that's all. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back