FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,786 of 6,777

Quote:
Don't be dumb like me.

I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night.  I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out.  I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed.   When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing.  So I tried another USB cable and USB input.  Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds.  So I try the reset, still nothing.   Do you know the E17 has a hold button.  Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button.  LOL

Just so I don't make the same mistake...When its charging the light turns off? 

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,788 of 6,777
Im in need of a DAC (E17) CyanogenMod9 enables audio out from the usb on my Samsung Galaxy S II (Epic Touch 4G). Tested it on my cars stereo.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,789 of 6,777

Quote:
Paired with my alienware m18x, Ipad2, iPhone4 and pro700mk2 phones the sound is amazing and in my opinion leaps ahead of my old nuforce udac2. My bass heavy headphones now have more amazing tactile bass! And the mids & treble and sound stage is great. Defiantly recommend this DAC/Amp

As a company, I've heard so many great things regarding NuForce, and find it hard to believe they would make an inferior product. Maybe, because they need a new updated amp/dac to release to compare with what's out now? I've read lots of reviews comparing their portable/desktop products to other brands and always come away with scratching my head. I don't know. I either need to stop reading about NuForce products, or go purchase myself some dandruff shampoo. 
eek.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #1,790 of 6,777
Quote:
The function is called 'USB on-the-go' (or OTG for short). The Android device must have that kind of USB chip (an USB on-the-go I/O chip that capable of hosting) built in to have that function. Most Android cellphone don't have that. They only have a USB receiver chip that can't host a slave device. The reason why most cellphone (including iPhone) don't have OTG is because OTG sucks out a lot of power, so it makes more sense to have it on tablet than on cellphone. It is not as easy as flipping a few switch in the OS.

I really don't think USB is an asynchronous protocol as any kind of data transfer I'm familiar with requires acknowledgment packets, and even if it was I can't even remember the last time I saw a cell phone that wouldn't function as a mass storage device when plugged into a computer. AFAIK USB OTG has been around since the early 00's, the issue in using it is just that most device manufacturers provide so little current over USB that you'd have a hard time running anything more than a USB keyboard. Easily solved with something like what was mentioned earlier for the iPad and E17, just use a powered hub with the CCK, either battery or solar if you can find a solar hub powerful enough. Just make sure you have the right cable to actually work with OTG. Once those two demands are met it just turns into a software issue.

Edit - Upon further research it does look like USB host isn't universally supported by everything ever, but it seems like it has fairly wide support among the major brands of Android phones. The power draw and software issues still seem to be the bigger ones in most setups.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,791 of 6,777

Quote:
Im in need of a DAC (E17) CyanogenMod9 enables audio out from the usb on my Samsung Galaxy S II (Epic Touch 4G). Tested it on my cars stereo.

Sweet! I'm going to look into trying out the CyanogenMod 9 beta on my Motorola Photon 4G, which should let me do the same thing when my E17 gets in..which will be sometime today I just learned! Yay! 
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,793 of 6,777

Maybe for me it might be a good option to get the Astro Mixamp pro instead of the Fiio E17. Are those 2 comparable? I am still confused what´s a DAC and what´s an amp and all that...
I will be using the Amp/DAC (or whatever) like 85 % of the time with my TV (Blu Ray, Xbox, digital cable box - all digital outs) that has no digital outs and 15 % with either my iPod/iPhone or my MacBook for music or DVDs.
And just from looking at it and going through it´s features I find the Astro Mixamp pretty interesting... but hard to tell for me right now what best would suits me.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,797 of 6,777
Ok so this question is gonna be asked eventually today, and since Im struggling to find the information from an earlier post:

Why is the e17 in 48K 16 bit mode? Do I have to wait for it to fully charge to get 96K 24bit?

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,800 of 6,777

Quote:
It should arrive with your daily mail :]

OMG I can't believe I was waiting for a package at my door. I feel like such an idiot. 

I have it now! Its so much smaller than I expected haha

Just do double check, the instructions are a tiny bit confusing. To use the E17 as a DAC I use the Optical cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back